Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Lifts- Mid rise or two post for home?

I'm just seeing if anyone has faced this dilemma or has some helpful insight.

I was originally looking at getting a Bend Pak mid rise lift for around $1400. Now I came across two post lifts and it has me thinking...... They cost about $600 to $1000 more, but may be more useful as I could park under it also (Other race car projects).

With the installation of the two post and bolting it down to the foundation is there any other "special" steps or specs to take into consideration? (thickness of slab etc) My ceiling is 10' plus.
If it is a pain, I might just stick with the Mid rise lift.
Anyone have any insight?

Example:
911ST Race Car/2.5L SS Race Motor #02
1972 911T- Numbers matching- Restoring to stock
2011 Porsche Spyder Wht/Blk/Carbon Fiber Buckets/6-Speed (Sold)
2016 Elan NP01 Prototype racecar- Chassis #20, #02
Old 08-21-2008, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have the Pro6MR midrise lift from Greg Smith Equipment. Works fine, does what it should, and is an enormous pain to move or park over. You'll need to have boards or something along each side of it to drive up onto so your Porsche (or anything lower than a family sedan) will clear it. Sounds easy till you realize a small cars' wheel width just fits over the lift and it takes precise lining up to get onto those boards without running up onto the lift itself. My car spends most of the summer under a cover in the driveway just cause it's such a pain to park over the lift.
If I had the clearance I would definitely get a post lift. Even the mobility of the mid rise is somewhat misleading--it's fairly easy to drag but extraordinarily hard to push and it takes up over half a car's worth of space so unless you have a large garage you can't get it out of the way enough to free a bay up.
My $0.02 but if you have the ceiling clearance and the money I'd definitely go for the hi-rise post lift unless you've very specific reasons for wanting the midrise.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
you should have at least 4 inch thick concrete on the floor to make sure a secure fit of the lift. You know, you dont want the weight of the car to pull the bolts out of the floor and topple over
Old 08-21-2008, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well, I agree w/ the above if one is putting a pickup on the lift, but for a 911 or variant...

10 ft is about the bare min. I have over 11, and I crouch when working on just about anything, but I'd do it again... look on ebay, most of the less expensive lifts are the same quality as bendpack, and some have usa sourced motors and pumps.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 08-21-2008, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I personally like two post lifts as there is basicallly no service to any vehicle that cannot be performed, not really an issue with 911's, as the drive line is out in the rear, but for your other cars.Any rear drive car with the trans in the middle will be difficult to do drive line service on a mid rise lift. If you plan on doing a lot of work, I would definately go two post lift. If this is just going to be for your hobby/occasional weekend work, a mid rise would suffice. As stated above, I was told 4" of concrete is mandatory, however , in my last shop that I rented we had only 3, and acutallly had one lift mounted only in 2.5" of concrete. We only used this lift for 914's 911's, and other small cars, but had no problems with it shifting. They are not too bad too install, but super heavy, and some scaffolding is super handy for this. I have installed mine in three different shops , but I dont think that the installation charge is too bad , I cant remember the exact quote. You will need a couple of buddies, and an engine hoist is helpful if installing yourself. The columns are tremendously heavy. And you will need to rent a large hammer drill. Hey good luck , you are really cookin' once you have a lift. All work becomes much easier, and you stay much cleaner from not rolling around on the floor.
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rllevin View Post
I have the Pro6MR midrise lift from Greg Smith Equipment. Works fine, does what it should, and is an enormous pain to move or park over. You'll need to have boards or something along each side of it to drive up onto so your Porsche (or anything lower than a family sedan) will clear it. Sounds easy till you realize a small cars' wheel width just fits over the lift and it takes precise lining up to get onto those boards without running up onto the lift itself. My car spends most of the summer under a cover in the driveway just cause it's such a pain to park over the lift.
You have a point, I use long 3x2s as temporary guide/guard rails to prevent that

If you have the overhead clearance a 2 post is definitely the way to go.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rllevin View Post
You have a point, I use long 3x2s as temporary guide/guard rails to prevent that

My 993 is also so low that I need a separate temporary layer to drive on, to use the lift the temps are removed and the long guides withdrawn.

If you have the overhead clearance a 2 post is definitely the way to go.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Chad,

If you have a lift in mind that will work with the overhead clearance you have...go for the two post. I sold my scissors mid-rise life and installed a two post in my garage. I love it! I park one 911 under another with no issues. Working on the cars on the scissors lift was great compared to a set of floor jacks and cardboard. Working on the cars on the two post is excellent compared to the doing it on the scissors lift. I wish I had another 24" of overhead in my garage to be able to stand under the car, but I can't complain too much.

My lift has a better base than some I've seen. It has a strut or outrigger for additional support. It's assymetric so the outrigger gives me great peace of mind.

If you don't think you have enough concrete under the mounting point, get a contractor in to cut out the area and place thicker stuff in there with expoxied in rebar to the exiting concrete before the new stuff is put in.

I'll shot some pictures in the morning......

As for a mid-rise and concerns for getting the car on ramps without driving on the lift, I've never had any issues with it. Once you learn where to point the car, you'll be within an inch everytime.

Here's my old lift when I first got it years ago:

Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

No need to fear a 2 post tipping over if you guy the towers. I can't imagine depending on some concrete anchor that is installed after the concrete is cured in only a few inches. I work with these types of fasteners quite often and have little faith in them unless it's pure shear you're after. Our local codes require a backing washer behind all attachments in tension. This is hardly possible in most retrofit systems. The alternative is to embed the fastener several inches into concrete with approved epoxy. Even a foundation bolt in series has to go down 6 inches and a corner hold down (think 2 post lift) has to go 16 inches into solid concrete.

Or, you can just stand under the thing and wait for an earthquake to topple it all. After all, you are in CA.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Have you considered a 4 post lift? No need to fasten them to the floor, and you can move them around from bay to bay if necessary. My garage has 10ft ceiling and there is plenty of room with a 4 post lift to work or park under it.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Anchor concerns:

I used 3/4"X5-1/2" Red Head mechanical anchors after drilling holes into the concrete. I tried one anchor and it didn't bite very well, so I then used epoxy (specifically for concrete anchors - basically threaded rods) on all the anchors. So I have a combination of mechanical and chemical attachment. My lift has 6 anchors per side, and the outrigger extends probably 24" toward the side that hangs. With the 911 parked so the rear is closer to the post, I have no worries.

I was worried about the assymetric loading and thought that I would run cables from the corners of my bay to the top of the posts to prevent tipping, but after I got the car on it my worries were gone. I've had my 5-series BMW on the lift and never felt any danger.

I suppose you could run cables to the top of the posts in earth quake country for added security. Or you could fabricate steel brackets that tie to the side of the garage so the walls would have to come down during an earth quake before the lift tilted. If the walls come down during an earth quake all you Cali boys are swimming to the mainland

Last edited by MotoSook; 08-21-2008 at 10:45 PM..
Old 08-21-2008, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I refused to give up any shop space for a two post lift. I installed a mid rise and had to give up half my floor space....The solution was a full rise sunk in the concrete. No posts to hit and no wasted floor space. You can see more in this thread BendPak SP-7X Lift Purchase Question

Old 08-21-2008, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84toy View Post
I refused to give up any shop space for a two post lift. I installed a mid rise and had to give up half my floor space....The solution was a full rise sunk in the concrete. No posts to hit and no wasted floor space. You can see more in this thread BendPak SP-7X Lift Purchase Question

that is nice - I'll look at the thread and see how to cut things out
Old 08-21-2008, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I want one of these:

It isn't priced better than anything else but I really dig the simplicity, portability, and ease of storage.

http://www.ezcarlift.com/
01 FXDX
05 Police Interceptor

Last edited by Hester; 08-21-2008 at 09:04 PM..
Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage is a mess but i like my 2 post.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I got an Atlas 9 from Greg Smith Equipment about 2 years ago. Weldments are from China, but so are most others including the "big names" regardless of all the discussionin the other thread related to Costco. Hydraulic pump/motor/valve is SPX Fenner- a US manufacturer. I have had no problems with it. I prefer the flexibility that a 2 post gives you vs. a mid-rise or 4 post.

To install, you need min. 4" 3000psi concrete, must be 12" from any seam and no cracks in the floor within 12" of the fasteners. I had no issues with the anchors.

I have 10'6" and am 5'9 and I can work under my pcar and 3 series standing up. SUV's and pickups I use a wheeled seat for most work and that works OK. The cable race and hydraulic hose goes over the trusses so I have a clear floor.

PM me if you have questions- I could send photos.

Dave
'66 911 Work In Progress (#303734)
'85 911 Carrera
06 325XI
'05 Envoy XL SLT
Old 08-22-2008, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I love my mid rise Bend Pak lift. It is movable and fits my needs exactly. I too, would not like to give up the space to a post type lift and if I had the room might have gone that way. Here is an example of taking the lift outside so my daughter could do a good cleaning of the under parts. Fear not the slight list, it was rock solid.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hester View Post
I want one of these:

It isn't priced better than anything else but I really dig the simplicity, portability, and ease of storage.

http://www.ezcarlift.com/
I'd think a bit about that.

Having swiveling/sliding pivot arms is the only way to position to lift on the facory lift points

That said it is fine for some cars, I know someone that lifts his 964 3.8GT on something like that, and I have lifted a few 911s on their belly pans. I'm just not comfortable doing it.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
I'd think a bit about that.

Having swiveling/sliding pivot arms is the only way to position to lift on the facory lift points

That said it is fine for some cars, I know someone that lifts his 964 3.8GT on something like that, and I have lifted a few 911s on their belly pans. I'm just not comfortable doing it.
good question - I would hope one could make some pads that would locate on the "planks" for individual cars so as to only lift on the "lifting" points - I'll probably keep the ez car lift on my short list of want but likely never get. If the guy designed the Wacker then he knows what he is doing.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Consider a 4 post lift. Mine is on casters and I can push it around. I can store 2 cars in the same spot. Ive seen people put a plywood deck on top and use it for storage and the car underneath. 2 post is the best for working on a car, but I would take a 4 post over a mid rise lift any day.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: