Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Happiest when Tinkering

Porsche Crest What I have been doing for the last 2 years!

I told a couple of fellow pelicans that I would start a thread of my 2nd restoration of my 911. Comments are welcome. It started like this back in 82.

In 92 I went to this.

Yeah I know the speaker box is kinda tacky but with 2 10 inch subs driven with 500 watts you could rattle your eye teeth at 120 mph, the Alpine system sounded real good. Then the roof broke and I got tired of looking at this little rust bubble so this chapter in this car begins. Some of the things I wanted to do were a Cab conversion, and the bodywork and a color change is in the offing, then I decided I was tired of the CIS giving me trouble and decided to start a change to EFI, and do a few minor electrical things, well you know where I am going. While you are in there.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me

Last edited by gsmith660; 09-05-2008 at 05:46 PM..
Old 09-05-2008, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Like I said started as a simple weld repair,

Then got the wild hair for the cab. conversion!
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 09-05-2008, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Some pics from that!

The pics of the top actually on it will come later as I didn't take a photo of the top itself on the car.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

I did find a shot of the rough fit.

Well I was thinking about the EFI conversion many years ago I was going to do a Haltech conversion and after some research the Bitz system is more in the DIY spirit and customizeable ie the 3.2 intake and wide band O2 sensor, I will probably do an MSD install as well and a heat backdate, anyway so I pulled the motor and got some progress done the rest will be done this winter. Some pics.

Then I put the motor back in the car to get it as close to running trim as I can so the guy I am going to have paint it can do the bodywork. Well while I am waiting for him I read a thread on here about chassis structural support and I promptly go out and look and sure enough both sides the rockers are cracked at the jack point well after I weld those up I do this.

Last edited by gsmith660; 11-24-2008 at 03:20 AM..
Old 09-05-2008, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

While I was waiting I decided to do some other projects that I had read about so I started with the optima battery mount,

and a fuse panel update to ATO fuses,

and a upgrade to my brake light switch,

More to come I still have to upgrade the rear fuse panel.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

The finished brake light switch has double walled heat shrink to seal out moisture.

and this was the mess I started with on the electrical workup 26 years of adding alarms, cellphones and stereos.

more to come, comments are welcome this forum has inspired me to do much with my car in the spirit of DIY I am not building a hotrod or anything like that and for the purists I am not worried about value as I will probably have this car when I die, but I may do some DE's around here if schedule permits. Coming up are some shots of the bodywork/soda blasting, the rear bumperette delete, the 993 rear cab seat install, and the painting that is going on this weekend my bodyman didn't have the time to do it so he said if I did the bodywork he would paint it when it met his standards so far my work has passed inspection with only minor rework.

Last edited by gsmith660; 09-05-2008 at 05:52 PM..
Old 09-05-2008, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

12 years and 17k posts...

Garage
Wow! you're a busy guy!!! Great pics!!
www.ford.com
Old 09-05-2008, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

thanks, and paint goes on this week so I hope to be caught up to present by then.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Art, I am in your neck of the woods from time to time I do contract work at Palisades and DC Cook.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
I'm a loser, baby.

Garage
Much more brave and skilled than I. Good thread, thanks.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
The Puff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
The finished brake light switch has double walled heat shrink to seal out moisture.

and this was the mess I started with on the electrical workup 26 years of adding alarms, cellphones and stereos.

more to come, comments are welcome this forum has inspired me to do much with my car in the spirit of DIY I am not building a hotrod or anything like that and for the purists I am not worried about value as I will probably have this car when I die, but I may do some DE's around here if schedule permits. Coming up are some shots of the bodywork/soda blasting, the rear bumperette delete, the 993 rear cab seat install, and the painting that is going on this weekend my bodyman didn't have the time to do it so he said if I did the bodywork he would paint it when it met his standards so far my work has passed inspection with only minor rework.
I took one look at my wiring harness and said, "dear God no," to all the stuff the PO had done. So I proceeded to rip the entire thing out and ordered a new 21 fuse box from ezWiring . You have more guts than me good sir.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Immature Member

Garage
Go, Man, GO!!!
"Lowering the bar with every post!"
Old 09-05-2008, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Great pictures. Keep 'em coming.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Puff View Post
I took one look at my wiring harness and said, "dear God no," to all the stuff the PO had done. So I proceeded to rip the entire thing out and ordered a new 21 fuse box from ezWiring . You have more guts than me good sir.
Well the only one I have to blame is me, I am the one that did that mess over the years but I am learning and more refined as the years go on.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

How about some pics from the progress and small projects.

You know I originally started out to strip all the old paint off with the soda blasting but he was into 250 lbs of media just on the hood and inside the fenders because the paint was on so good and didn't want to let go I guess that was the only bright spot of the previous paint job, anyway we talked about it and decided to just do jams and edges and leave the rest and feather the rest.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

You know I am not nearly as brave as some of these guys who are into major weld repairs on the rockers and such or the early backdates those guys were my inspiration that anything can be done. I started with a 100 amp arc welder and a stitch attachment now I have a MIG and am still learning how to get a good uniform bead. I only had one rust bubble and no others thats pretty good for having the car for 26 years. I am the 2nd owner of this car and it only had 8000 miles on it when I got it it had been stolen and stripped and I resurrected it from a weed patch in downtown Honolulu the guys working on their VW bugs next door were using to tie off their tarp. The guy who helped me to get it rough and rolling will forever be in my debt.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
At the track = great day

Garage
I'm impressed with all the work you've done and I like the color of your car.. it is something different than what you normally see.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

It has been this color in one form or another for all 26 years so now its time for a change the surprise is coming.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

The reinforcements you did are pretty impressive. Looks like you ate a lot of galvy smoke. I hope not. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Some more restoration work and the bumperette delete.

This is the fab and prep work.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: