Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Air Medal or two

Where are the new guys ? rebooting ?

As my morbid observation continues with the new push button freaks,or younger crowd...as I look back at the 356 folks...as I look ahead at the conversation by the boxter crowd forum..I can not help but think that the do it yourself er 911 356 people are a dieing breed...If it cant be uploaded, rebooted, electrically downloaded these new guys just are not into it.
Try as I may to get the new generation guys excited it seems to die a aenimic death. I do not just mean in the P car world either...across the board I think we have way too many folks living with S.E.S. (Subdued excitement syndrome )
I guess I could have posted this in OT , but if you are like me I do not drop in there very much, the world needs to know that like the hard working honey bees there is a real lack of hard working young folks blooming !but rather disappearing.
For that reason I rest assure that the boxter and the Cayman will never live on into a reprise like the 356 and 911 have.
We will not be there, and the push button crowd will not be either ..so the car will be gone too
Old 09-21-2008, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm 26...i've owned a couple of '67 912's, '73 911S (viper green), '80 911SC, '88 951, a few Triumphs ('60 TR3 and a couple of '62 TR4's...one of which I still drive regularly), a '65 Mercedes 190c, and my newest car, a Jaguar XJR.

I first started restoring my TR4 when i was 14...learned about welding, sanding, painting, fabrication, etc. heck, i even learned how to mix my own paint.

if anybody is willing to donate a 356 to me to keep the spirit alive.....you know how to get ahold of me.

(edit: it should be noted that i work on all of my cars....i never farm it out. i'll never forget the one time that i took my porsche to a show. it was at auburn, indiana....a few years ago when they used to have a porsche swap meet. i'll never forget how pissed off i was. i took my 912 (which i had just made roadworthy after it was tucked away in a barn for over 25 years. a disgustingly, gluttonous, check-writing piece of crap old guy was was talking to me about my car....but he didn't know that i owned it. he made several snide remarks, basically telling me that whoever owned this "thing" shouldn't have been allowed to bring it to the meet. ...it made me sick. i loved the expression on his face when i told him that it was MY car, and that i had just brought it out of 25 year storage. talk about having egg on his face. ...a quintessential jerk. i've only been to one other porsche gathering since then (mid-ohio ALMS this summer....which was a blast).

Last edited by Embraer; 09-21-2008 at 07:44 PM..
Old 09-21-2008, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Here's my 912, that apparently wasn't good enough to take to a Porsche show. If I ever run into that guy again, I'll be sure to feed him his teeth.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
If it is any consolation, I bought my SC last year at age 20, adore the car, and love being able to work on my car. Now I'm not very good at it, but love it nonetheless. I resent newer cars, wires everywhere and can't tell what I'm looking at, and what all I'll have to remove just to change the oil.
And as an aside, I drove a friends '08 Carrera and I like mine ten times more I'm sure going 150 in his feels like a 100, but I just prefer the more raw, loud, uncomfortable jittery ride that my older less pretty 911 affords me. All about the driving experience.
And P.S. Embraer the 912 looks sweet!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

You guys should be congratulated and are !...My pt is...you are the exceptions to my observations....and no one has ever worked on my car but me either.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i agree...zevenbergena and i are part of a dying breed. people look at me like i have lobsters crawling out of my ears when they learn the stuff that i can do with cars.

it's like ham radio. ...i've been a ham since 1993, when i was 12. if you think that kids don't get into cars these days.....
Old 09-21-2008, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

abides.

Garage
I'm 27 FWIW...
I went to house party last weekend. Half the people were personal trainers (seriously wtf) and the other half were normal people. At some point I had learned enough about nutritional supplements and was about to leave and headed for my car when some younger guys (22ish?) stopped me to ask about my car. It turned out that they were into racing bugs, and one of them had owned a '76 912E at some point. We wound up talking about bugs, 911s, 912s, and 914s for a good hour or so. They knew way more about Bugs than I know about Porsches.
I think what's keeping a lot of kids out of these cars now is the ridiculous cost of parts. I see a lot of guys out there with ratty 914s and 944s that they can't afford to fix because simple things like bumpers and heater blower motors are absurdly expensive. If anything major breaks, you'll be putting more into the car than it's worth.
With the VWs just about everything is available relatively cheaply, even if its a kinda cheapo EMPI part.
Just my $.02 worth.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
up-fixing der car(ma)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to YTNUKLR
I'll be an exception -21

I love the older cars more, and probably always will, but if a Cayman was affordable I wouldn't think twice about throwing a GT3 motor in it .
Old 09-21-2008, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I'm 23 years old and into my second year of classic 911 ownership. I've got some older stuff too (its in the signature) and some younger stuff. But nothing comes close to the feeling of driving a 'proper' unassisted car.
Its like vinyl compared to mp3, sure you can carry a bunch of mp3s in a pocket sized player, but they're always going to sound electric and won't have the warmth of vinyl.
I love my classics and a recent trip in a friend's Cayman S has confirmed that while the new metal might be faster, its nowhere near as involving.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
user & abuser

Garage
21 years old
bought my 911 when i was 15 yrs old for something like 1800, compete barn reck, did everything except 1 of the 3 engine builds and the paint work.

also did a first gen bmw 320-6, and a 69 chev c-10.... now i drive a civic as a daily
with that being said, there is obvious reasoning behind new cars, they are faster, more reliable, easier to drive (though torque steer is one demon 911's never have to deal with), and are actually cheaper to own & operate, especially if you don't have your own workshop (moved to downtown vancouver)....

if i had time and money i think i would spend the rest of my days watching hockey and building bastardized 911's.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
what? me worry?

I bought my first 911 when I was 18 years old. Did my first 911 engine rebuild when I was 19...Lost count of how many I've built since then

I'm 47 years old now and my current 911 is a geeks dream.......EFI, Race Technology data acquisition, Aim dash.

I know what points are and how to set the dwell with a matchbook

not that this has much to do with the op
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 09-22-2008, 12:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
911 Africa

I think they are out there

Just my humble opinion.

I am beyond the 50 years mark and have owned Porsches since I was 20.

I think the interest goes in cycles. When I was young, my first Porsche was a 1958 356A coupe. It was then viewed as scrap. Its beauty and oldness captured my imagination. In time, it became so sought after, that it is now scarce and expensive.

From the threads, it seems that many of the long hood early 911 fans are younger and focused on the scarcity of these cars. Being from a pre-galvanised period, these cars in good condition are indeed not plentiful.

Older enthusiasts interested in 83-89 911's often buy the car that was new in their drooling youth for nostalgic reasons. Yep thats me.

Whatever the motivation, I suspect that long hood enthusiasts are more likely to restore to stock, while later cars (83 - 89) are still being changed from stock as we play with our toys. A next generation will restore the good ones back to stock and they too will become sought after relics. The focus will shift to orginal parts in new/good condition, from current upgrading to later technology parts. Check out the number of backdating projects currently happening.

And so the cycle continues. The mods make the stock cars more valuable. That 83 SC stock car in pristine condition too will become scarce and there is an upcoming generation to take care of that.
1976 2.7 Targa long gone
1989 3.2 Carrera Targa - Heirloom
Old 09-22-2008, 01:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

as mentioned above and a number of young'ins have have chimed in with lots of hands on experience. We hire young mechanical engineers and always look for people with hands on experience that has developed though out their life. There seems to be a trend of the candidates scoring high in "book" learning and low in hands on experience compared to the past. They are out there, just a bit harder to find. Corporate America sometimes wants people from certain prestigious schools - this also tends to be contrary to finding kids with true hands on experience.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
part or perhaps most of the problem has to do with the difficulties that young people face these days.

many younger people, myself included, spend much of their 20's in school and then perhaps graduate school. I was in school until i was 26 and although i wanted a 911 since i was a kid, i was not able to get one until i was 35. student loans, no job security, having to move from one city to another to get better work, better pay, not having a garage, worrying about health insurance, etc...

Back in the day...60's, 70's..it was easy for a young person to find a job that was secure and paid enough, buy a house with a 2 car garage, new cars were inexspensive, etc.... not so today. when my parents were in the EARLY 20's in the early 70's, they had two kids, a nice house and two new cars all on 1 very modest salary

for many young people, myself included, just buying a new and reliable daily driver to get to work is a seriously huge expense

when a younger person now days shows an interest in my car, they inevitably get turned off when i discuss the care and feeding that they require, the space they require, the dedication they require

Last edited by ramonesfreak; 09-22-2008 at 05:22 AM..
Old 09-22-2008, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Scott, you are pretty much right on with what you say... back in my earlier days we didn't really have foriegn competition. Not the case now - the middle class technical white collar worker is getting "compressed" - no or small raises - reduced benefits/etc. This is likely to continue.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

This is not to say there are none...just a dieing breed as this thread seems to hold true, the comments from the middle age crowd me included and the younger set like GTC. and the lobster in the ear deal all seem so true. Not trying to cause a rebellion here , just my observation.
Like I said across the board the younger set seeem so disconnected from not only Hot rods but any thing they might or should have a passion for.
As kid in the early 60s I got excited just to work on a lawn more ! I was not the only one either .
Things are diff now.
I pulled up to a red Lt the other day, next to some kind of a mustang, my pipes are rumbling The kid next to me gets all nervous as to stand on it or not .. In a moment he turns up his stereo real loud ! That was his ans to me ( not that I would actually race him...LOL )
Weird........like I give a %^& about his stereo ?? yup S.E.S
Oh and I do not pick on them for not owning a P car ..I did get (afford one ) till in my 40s...But I always had a hot rod of sorts.
The groupe that buy the Boxtes seem to be for the most part a hands off crowd,,,, yea lets have A TUPPER WHARE party ..well you get my drift
Old 09-22-2008, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

The Boxster is a hands-off car...appropriate for hands-off people. I''ve driven a few of them, and I liked the way they drove (albeit, lacking a tad bit of character). The reason that I like working on old cars, is because it's FUN. when you start messing with a car like a Boxster, not only are the parts exponentially more expensive, but working on the car turns "not fun" really quickly.

I'm teaching myself the ins and outs of EFI (Megasquirt) and it's so different then everything I have worked on before. There are kids that are interested in cars, but it's a different kind (and level) of interest.....propagated by technology itself.

Somebody posted a thread about a hotrod powered by a maserati V8. VERY COOL. I'm still in the planning stages for my engine swap on my TR4. Small block chevy? Jaguar V12 with 6 webers? who knows.....
Old 09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Don't lose all hope. I'm 29 and am just at the point where I could afford a Porsche. I think many people are in that boat or have to wait even longer. Many of today's youth are still very interested in cars, they just can't afford a Porsche. I think that is why you see a lot of people messing with old Hondas and Nissans, affordability.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

same here, 29, bought my first 911 1 month ago. I just drive it around for now, but I plan to do quite a bit to it once it start snowing. I have the 101 projects book and already have about a dozen lined.
lots of peoples that buy newer Porsche rather leave it to professional to take care of them. But if I had paid 90k for a new Porsche, for status reason, and I did not wanted to dirty my pinstripe suit, maybe I'd do the same...

Last edited by Math; 09-22-2008 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: ortograph
Old 09-22-2008, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
(Former 1968Cayman)

I think progression to the Porsche marquee is just that, a progression. We start with muscle cars and drag racing until we realize that going fast in a straight line is not applicable to daily driving nor a good way to pick up women with teeth. So we move to BMWs and other sporting cars that allow us to move the car from the left to right. Then, once we've fully . . . um . . . blossomed, but not in a chick way . . . into people who consider themselves 'drivers' we start looking towards the next level. And promptly buy a Porsche. Give them time, they'll come around.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: