LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Sports Purpose 911 Driver

very cool!!
1955 356 Pre A Coupe Emory build in waiting
1957 356A Emory speedster build in progress
Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Sports Purpose 911 Driver

Dave you need to write a book... seriously. Lot's of good stories. Leave out the section on your more difficult employees as they are well known to us already ;-)
1955 356 Pre A Coupe Emory build in waiting
1957 356A Emory speedster build in progress
Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Designer King

Rochester, NY First Ever Slot Car Champion here. 1964 (I think).
Yellow 77 Sunroof Coupe/cork interior; 3.2L '80 SC engine/10.5:1/No O2; Carrera Tensioners; 11 Blade Fan; Turbo tie rod ends; Bilstein HDs; 28 tube Cooler; SSI, Dansk; MSD/Blaster; 16x7" Fuchs/205/50 Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2; PCA/UCR, MID9
Never leave well enough alone
Old 11-10-2008, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
I've been thinking about pulling out my SCX Scalectrix track. I bought many pieces over the years, but this sort of fires me up!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
i'm just a cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve911 View Post
And I back to the tracks at Elmsford Raceway back east - spent LOTS of time there and had my name on a few trophies back in the day.

wow, i haven't even thought of elmsford in years, brings back a few names to mind, bob peterson, louis del rosario, dave braham. we also used to frequent indianapolis speedway in yonkers and scarsdale, and motorama in mount vernon. there was also a track on the fourth or fifth floor of polks hobbies on fifth avenue in nyc.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Less brakes, more gas!

Garage
ok... I love this kind of stuff... but... in all honesty, I'd rather have the 959 and go to a real race track... now, if this were the only way for me to enjoy racing that would be another thing, but currently, its not

Best regards,

Michael
Old 11-10-2008, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Is this really a scale replica? The Mulsanne straight is 3.7 miles long. With 5,280 feet per mile that equals 19,500 feet. If my math is correct in 1/32 scale that would make it 610 feet long! Also the track design looks a little suspect compared to the real thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_de_la_Sarthe
Still would be fun to own it
Cheers, John
Old 11-10-2008, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

The owner of that Le Mans slot car track is fortunate enough to have a VERY nice collection of street and race cars and he enjoys those just as much.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Less brakes, more gas!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRE Cup View Post
The owner of that Le Mans slot car track is fortunate enough to have a VERY nice collection of street and race cars and he enjoys those just as much.
If only that were me ... I guess I'll have to be content with pictures

-Michael
Old 11-10-2008, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
Wayne - You're kidding right? That track cost MORE than your 959? So we are talking well over $100,000 for a slot track....GULP?

I can definitely appreciate the time, attention to detail and the dedication but getting hung up on the cost.

Yasin
Multiply that a few times. The guy who owns this place is a hedge fund trader. There's about $15M worth of cars about 25 feet away from this track. This is what you spend your money on when you have so much, you don't know what to spend it on. I don't have this problem quite yet - I still shop at Big Lots and Costco.

-Wayne
Old 11-10-2008, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRE Cup View Post
Ah... Tony P's track. Yes, he did spend a small fortune building a real Petit Le Mans and bless him for it
It's actually not Tony's but Nick's...

-Wayne
Old 11-10-2008, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
Everything was custom built by hand, in replication of the buildings and terrain surrounding LeMans.
Not to be a kill-joy, but have you ever been to Le Mans? That's a cool slot-car track but other than a few of the pit stalls it doesn't look anything like le Circuit des 24 Heures.

The start-finish straight at Le Mans runs past the pits (on track-right, not left) sweeping uphill right and climbing toward the Dunlop bridge at the top of the hill, then dives down to the left-right-left Esses (through some Mickey-Mouse stuff recently installed on the hill), then right through Tertre Rouge onto the L-O-O-N-G ligne droigt des Hunaudieres down to Mulsanne (chicanes added), then right past the old signaling pits and down through the forest to Indianapolis, left to Arnage, right through the countryside to the Porsche Curves (or historic Maison Blanche), then sweepers up to the Corvette and Ford Chicanes -- eight and a half miles. Never been a bridge over start-finish, etc.

Let's appreciate this set-up for what it is: neat. Le Mans it ain't.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Wayne as always you do things right but boy you got way too much time on your hands

jump on a plane and come and help me with my Pre A resto 9 years and counting at the mo I'm getting abit bogged down with it

looks great though the track
Old 11-11-2008, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
Multiply that a few times. The guy who owns this place is a hedge fund trader. There's about $15M worth of cars about 25 feet away from this track. This is what you spend your money on when you have so much, you don't know what to spend it on. I don't have this problem quite yet - I still shop at Big Lots and Costco.

-Wayne
Wow...envious and sick to my stomach all at the same time (hard to fathom)...! I cannot imagine.
Thanks for sharing Wayne...

Yasin
Old 11-11-2008, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
likes to left foot brake.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine17 View Post
Not to be a kill-joy, but have you ever been to Le Mans? That's a cool slot-car track but other than a few of the pit stalls it doesn't look anything like le Circuit des 24 Heures.
Le Mans it ain't.
A big track gets to be a hassle when you have to walk 40 feet to re-slot your toy car.
Here is a Le Mans 1/64 scale slot track a little closer to scale.
232 feet long 8 lanes.
This is 1/64 scale or HO so for a 1/32 scale track as Wayne posted just double the size. That would be a big track.

Another HO track called the The Katz-Spa-Ring.
171 feet, 4 lane.

A link to many custom tracks.
http://www.oldslotracer.com/index.html
for ex.. a Le Mans tribute track in Belgium.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted View Post
Amazing what modlers can build.
Imho over detailed tracks can start to look too Doll House.

The Hand built brass chassis raced on these tracks are works of art too.

My somewhat detailed track last year.

In stark contrast my current track is just for racing.

That chassis is beautiful. Wish I had it under my 904 back in the 60's.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted View Post
A big track gets to be a hassle when you have to walk 40 feet to re-slot your toy car.
Wow!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

guys i have to run to a meeting but dig around for a 'hillclimb' track, routed. it's unreal. single lane, amazing details, just too cool.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

That Katz-Spa-Ring is fantastic - very impressive.
Seems to be a little ackward for turn marshalling though...
Old 11-11-2008, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlycafe View Post
wow, i haven't even thought of elmsford in years, brings back a few names to mind, bob peterson, louis del rosario, dave braham. we also used to frequent indianapolis speedway in yonkers and scarsdale, and motorama in mount vernon. there was also a track on the fourth or fifth floor of polks hobbies on fifth avenue in nyc.
Went to school with the del Rosarios and lived around the corner from them in HS. Worked at the raceway - took payment mostly in parts and track time.
I remember the tracks in mount vernon and at polks hobbies as well.

Came across this on ebay the other day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270301071031

My '85 911 Targa ** Hand painted center caps for sale here
RIP Warren
PCA & Rennlist member
Old 11-13-2008, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: