Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Party Member

Garage
1984 Carrera 3.2 Coupe Mirror Disassembly

The other day, the passenger side rearview mirror spring-loaded detent loosened so that the mirror swiveled freely. I consulted this board and fixed it. Afterwards, I thought I’d share the job with the board so others may benefit (or chuckle).

1. I taped off the area around the mirror with towels and blue tape and disassembled down to the level shown below. I used an allen wrench to loosen the bolt so the assembly hung upside down off the body, dangling by the wire harness. I made several tries using needle nose pliers to carefully grip the end of the Guide Tube, push and turn to re-engage the thread. No ***** Way. The Compression Spring is a STIFF little pr-k. At that point, I decided to remove the entire assembly off the car. If it was going to take some forcing, I wanted to secure the work on a bench and not have a slip gouge the car. Note: In this picture, the mirror and frame have already been removed.

2. I like using a lot of tools.

3. I carefully pried off mirror using a hook and stiff blade knife. There were 2 heater wires attached by connectors to the mirror and I had to be careful not to cut them using the knife. The Mirror is retained to the assembly with 3 friction pins. I went Slow and Careful so I wouldn’t bend the glass and break it. I used needle-nose pliers to disconnect the 2 wires.

4. I used an 8 mm nut driver to remove the 3 Hex-head Bolts retaining the Frame (containing the motor assembly) from the Mirror Housing. The Connector halves separated easily.

5. I then separated the Mirror Housing by removing the 3 cross-recess screws.

6. At this point, I remembered to sketch the pin arrangement.

7. Now came the critical part. The wires needed to be un-inserted from the connector shell. Almost all circular contacts have ‘finger’ features that allow easy insertion into the shell. These ‘fingers’ are intended to prevent a pull on the wire from drawing the wire and contact out of the connector shell. A tool was needed to un-insert without damaging the parts. Luckily, there’s an old-school electronics store nearby, so I went there and bought an extractor tool.

It made the removal of the wires easy and no damage was done.

8. I had already used a 5 mm hex to loosen the Mounting Piece from the car body. But now with the connector shell removed, I could feed the wires thru Guide Tube and remove the Base.

9. I then went to the bench with the Base and took it apart.

10. I did some visual inspection, cleaning and lubrication. Then I positioned the bracket in soft jaws as shown. The female threads that the guide tube engages to are in the bracket. Inspect those threads for damage. If these threads are damaged, the bracket would need replacement or major rework.

11. In the setup above, I carefully pushed down while driving the Guide Tube with an M12 spline socket to engage the thread.

12. Reassembly is in the reverse order. Mirror detents nicely and controls work.

71 911T Miss Demeanor / 2013 Audi Q5 Hundeführer
Old 11-15-2008, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Recreational User

Gary, I had the same problem on my '86 928 mirror, which is identical to the 911 mirrors. Instead of taking it all apart, you can use a large flat blade screwdriver to re-engage the threads of the spring-loaded bolt. If the blade of the screwdriver is just the right size, you can use it as a wrench to push in and turn the bolt about 1/8 of a turn at a time, being careful not to pinch the wires. It took me about 3 minutes from start to finish.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
That is a nice write up. I have been there & done that. I had a trouble finding the wire disconnect tool. I tried several electronic & radio shops and they all looked at me like I was asking for a fuse for a warp generator. I finally had to track down a Snap-On man to find the correct tool. It does take a lot of force to compress that spring.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up flag mirror fix 88

Great write up. sure appreciate it. works as described. some additions here re tools and misc.
1) extractor pin tool that I used was OD =.130". it is the long pin of Lisle tool #56500-$15.
2) spline tool, set of 4 sizes, also Lisle # 69750 $15 for all 4 bits.
3) mirror glass removal on '88--engage slotted ring thru hole in bottom of mirror or else by tilting mirror glass bottom all the way out. slide slotted ring counterclockwide(push slots towards door on Driver side) to remove and reverse to install. even after slotted ring was moved, a little stubborn to get out. older mirrors pry out with spatula as noted.
4) upon disassembly threads in flag mirror were worn /some of the first threads were missing. Try as i might I could not overcome spring tension enough to engage the spline bolt threads into the mirror. felt it would put too much stress on threads remaining even if I could somehow compress the spring enough. Solution=mildly lighter spring. Century spring C-710=3/4" IDx1"ODx.080wire from orchard supply.
5)Mirror detent function still works OK with lesser spring. you could tighten up the spring a hair with a washer if you wanted to, or if the spring you find is different. Stock spring is a bear-tried to do the fix with wide blade screwdriver with all electrical in place-no way.
6) tried a no spring fix too, using a piece of tubing approx same length as spring, just slip it over the splined bolt, before I decided to find a new spring. that tubing method worked too but you lose the mirror fold/detent mode-though it does secure the mirror just fine.
7) as the write up says, only undo the allen head enough to remove the mirror from the car. don't go wild unscrewing it. check for loose as you go and stop as soon as the mirror base comes free from the car.

Last edited by basher; 04-14-2013 at 06:41 PM..
Old 04-14-2013, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschenut View Post
Gary, I had the same problem on my '86 928 mirror, which is identical to the 911 mirrors. Instead of taking it all apart, you can use a large flat blade screwdriver to re-engage the threads of the spring-loaded bolt. If the blade of the screwdriver is just the right size, you can use it as a wrench to push in and turn the bolt about 1/8 of a turn at a time, being careful not to pinch the wires. It took me about 3 minutes from start to finish.
Hey, it works. Just take your time... it took me about 10', I'm slow.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: