Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindtrapX View Post
I do have some lock deicer that works for me, just the door closing thing is a bit annoying. I will try the towel to dry out the door jambs & see if that does the trick.
Is it not closing because the jamb connector isn't springing back into place? (Not sure if I'm asking that right?) I remember my 944 had troubles because the "hook" on the door would freeze up and not grab the "loop" in the door. If so try some of that de-icer there or keep it extra lubbed, maybe with WD-40?

FWIW I went to school in Detroit. That's about the time when I really started to hate winters...

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 12-19-2008, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
1966 - 912 - SOLD

Old 12-19-2008, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
you see Arthur...

WD 40 would be my first choice as it is water based and will likely only help with icing it further.
00 ML 55 AMG
Santa Cruz Bullit
Old 12-19-2008, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
N-Gruppe doesn't exist

Location: *%@#ing GPS, where am I? Oh wait I see the Space Needle.
Send a message via AIM to teenerted1
skippy hasnt gotten to play snow since i have owned. with the 5" at the house now, not a good idea @3" max ground clearance now.

but here is a couple of years ago with others when named Millie and closer to stock hight

teener sucked in the snow but still we had fun

'70 911T 3.0L "SKIPPY" R-Gruppe #477
'73 914 2.0L SOLD bye bye "lil SMOKEY"
"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is SILVER.
other flat fours:'77 VWBus 2.0L & 2002 ImprezaTS 2.5L
Old 12-19-2008, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

So this morning, I get up and roll to work in the 911. It is winter, but the roads are clear, it’s a nice day with no clouds. I didn't check the forcast…

Its now 3:30, its snowing pretty good, 4-5 inches on the ground.. I guess I'll get to see how well my 4 wheel drive system in the 911 works.

I've driven in snow a lot, so I'm not worried about me. And I have faith in 20 year old german engineering. Now my fellow man out on the roads….. Yeah…. Not so fond or sure of their abilties.
And thus shall my exploits be told.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
Here are a couple of pictures of my '85 coupe from a couple years ago when I brought it home. A friend of mine drove his over to my house in the snow. Here are a couple pics of my old '66 912 that I wish I would have kept too.

2010 Subaru Forester X Limited - wife's daily driver
Old 12-19-2008, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post

Jack, i just love your car! Kinda have a crush on it. Everytime i see a pic of it pop up on pelican, i smile. Hope it performs as well as it looks! Great car
'69T Bahama Yellow
Old 12-19-2008, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Hilbilly Deluxe

Garage
Even on tires poorly suited for the task, it was nicely mannered.

GTI Cup #43
Old 12-19-2008, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 12-19-2008, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug&Julie View Post
Is it not closing because the jamb connector isn't springing back into place? (Not sure if I'm asking that right?) I remember my 944 had troubles because the "hook" on the door would freeze up and not grab the "loop" in the door. If so try some of that de-icer there or keep it extra lubbed, maybe with WD-40?

FWIW I went to school in Detroit. That's about the time when I really started to hate winters...
That was what I was thinking about the jamb connector (On the door itself) but when I manually clicked it back to place & pulled the handle, that seemed to work fine. Not sure why it wouldn't latch. Cleared off the boat load of snow from her this afternoon (See below), and it opened & closed just fine. There was however a bit of snow that accumulated in the door jamb while it was snowing. Only happen after I give her a bath. (Which is coming soon) I used a bit of de-icer on it last time, and it seemed to do the trick. Spring can't come fast enough!

I have spent my whole life in Michigan. I have never been a fan of winters, but it got worse in '99 when I bought a motorcycle. Now I finally find the car I've been looking for for well over a year, and the first snowfall was about a week after I got it home. Did I mention Spring can't come fast enough?!

"I'd like to offer moral support, but I have questionable morals"
Old 12-19-2008, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage
Unhappy

Here's my baby after the nasty snow storm we got last night...

Old 12-19-2008, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindtrapX View Post
That was what I was thinking about the jamb connector (On the door itself) but when I manually clicked it back to place & pulled the handle, that seemed to work fine. Not sure why it wouldn't latch.
Had similar problem. The solution was to pull the door panel off and lube the hell out of the mechanisms with white lithium. Water seems to be able to get there and freeze. The problem never came back. When was the last time you lube your door guts?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Honestly, IMO, snow is better than rain. It just sits on top and doesn't find its way into anything. The only problem is salt if you are driving, if it's just parked...it shouldn't be a big deal. Just brush it off. Just my 0.02.

BTW, went power sliding at 20kph around the deserted neighbourhood tonight....good fun! Should have taken a vid.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxrams80sc View Post
Jack, i just love your car! Kinda have a crush on it. Everytime i see a pic of it pop up on pelican, i smile. Hope it performs as well as it looks! Great car

Jack is one of the last of a RARE breed of true "Club Sporters" that still drives to the track.. plays there for the weekend and then drives the ole gal home.. Most everyone today thinks trailering is the way...I admire the man this still keeping this old tradition alive.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man neri View Post
Had similar problem. The solution was to pull the door panel off and lube the hell out of the mechanisms with white lithium. Water seems to be able to get there and freeze. The problem never came back. When was the last time you lube your door guts?
I haven't lubed the doors at all. Just the de-icer. I just bought her a month ago. Need to give that a try though. Good timing as well, broke my drivers side door handle, so going to replace them anyway in the next couple weeks. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Garage
I'll play!

1987 944 Manual (Donated to the Nat. Kidney Foundation)
1987 944 Automatic (Recently sold to another Pelican)
Old 12-19-2008, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwyk4257 View Post
Here are a couple of pictures of my '85 coupe from a couple years ago when I brought it home. A friend of mine drove his over to my house in the snow. Here are a couple pics of my old '66 912 that I wish I would have kept too.

Mike:

Are those the 6x16's up front on your car? Looks good...just wondering since I haven't installed them yet on mine.
1987 944 Manual (Donated to the Nat. Kidney Foundation)
1987 944 Automatic (Recently sold to another Pelican)
Old 12-19-2008, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Garage
Ed, yes the black car had 16x6's up front.
2010 Subaru Forester X Limited - wife's daily driver
Old 12-20-2008, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
Mike Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TibetanT View Post
I'll play!

Oooh, I like your wheel finish against the arctic white (on the car, and in the background). Looks great!
Old 12-20-2008, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Not quite in the snow....but

Here is the pecking order when snow arrives. The 911's are safely tucked in the garage, the old Mitsu (almost 300K miles) get's driving duty and Melisa's new Passat? Looks kind of lonely and sad out in the alley......doesn't it?

regards,

al

PS: it's 11F in Mount Vernon, WA this morning, with more snow coming tonight...aaaarrrrrgggghhhh it is freezing a$$ cold in the garage. i had to drag some of the project car parts into the basement for the duration.

[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 12-20-2008, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: