Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Glenn, keep an eye out on ebay, as they appear intermittently. Remeber that it's the 'B' version (gasoline) and not the 'D' (diesel) version. Also, try to get one with as much of the install hardware as possible, as this made it much easier.

I will be happy to scan and send the owners/ install manual to anyone who want it.

BTW, i had to call Eberspacher NA during the install, as i couldnt figure out the timer function of the heater control, and their service department was very helpful in getting things sorted.

Overall, really not a difficult install.

1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 03-17-2009, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post

I'll try and post some better pix later.
Hi Juice, do you already have better pic ?
I just bought this heater and I am very glad and interested to find your topic.
I figure out if the exhaust line is long enough to avoid bad smog smell into the cabin?
What about the inlet gasoline line,does it connected on the main supply line before the fuel pump?
Thanks
JM
Old 06-15-2009, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Hey guys. This look very promising to me. I have just purchased a 912e with heat-exchangers in a pretty bad state. Ideally I will eventually use this car during any weather, as long as their isn't salt on the roads, so this looks like an ideal solution.

Anyone have a reliable supplier?

Any specific problems? No cabin odor etc.?
Old 10-30-2009, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to smestas Send a message via Yahoo to smestas
JM,

Any updates on your heater install?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

My understanding was that the "return" for the air from the cabin back to the heater was the Shift coupling cover. I think Porsche just removed the backing, and the cover became a grill/register and allowed air to flow into a tube that ran back to the smugglers box. Did you do this?

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 12-13-2009, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smestas View Post
JM,

Any updates on your heater install?
No,sorry Smestas
Winter is coming and I am on going to install heater devices but it just miss one gas connexion and I still don't know if the Eberspascher pump succion could be hooked up on the gas return line to the tank.
More over the car is still not running for the same reason: missing the renforceid line between gas filter and motor manifold,it was supposed to arrive one month ago.
My family and I are waiting to drive this car
Cheers
JM

Last edited by jm58; 12-13-2009 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: speeling
Old 12-13-2009, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Hi guys, sorry to have been negligent on updating this thread. BTW, i am not sure that placing the line to the pump for the heater is ok, as my manual recommended drawing off a non-pressure line coming from the tank.

My heater is working great, but one of the problems is that i am having is a difficult time with is the thermostat. Just when things are getting comfy in the cabin, it shuts off and goes through some sort of cycle before the pilot light (and thus heater) reactivates. I have been to busy with other stuff to really sort it out, which means contacting the Eberspacher reps for guidance.

DAE, Thus far, i have only hooked into the defrost circuit of the car's system, and this seems to be adequate enough for heat to keep the car toasty(ish) and the car's windows from fogging/frosting.

Does anyone have a schematic or some sort of 'cutaway' drawing of the 911 heating system to clarify?
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 12-13-2009, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

I have no schematics, only info from an old (cold) friend. He described the webasto setup as working just like a modern residential HVAC system. Essentially heated air entered the cabin up front, and ambient air returned to the heater through the shift coupling grill and back to the heater. I know my smugglers box still has the end of the tube capped off.

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Test is on going in workshop,it looks OK so I will install it before winter if my car is back from bodyshop.
Eberspacher 1st start.MTS - YouTube
Old 11-01-2011, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thread revival! Any feedback or advances on this line of thinking?
Old 11-12-2017, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Re the OP, where do the products of combustion exhaust to?

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 11-12-2017, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daepp View Post
Re the OP, where do the products of combustion exhaust to?
In my case (and I guess in every 911) under the car. Check my thread about:

Gas heater installation

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 11-13-2017, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post
The heater unit is very compact, and weighs only about 10lbs. It has a self-contained combustion chamber, and an intake and exhaust port on the bottom, to which manifolds are attached. Found this cartoon vid on youtube of how it works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewr7btulJ-w It is controlled by a cockpit mounted thermostat that works via simple knob and digital readout like your house thermostat.
So here is my concern - someone PLEASE tell me I'm wrong. In the above text he says the intake and exhaust ports are on the bottom. I that "exhaust" as in CO, or "exhaust" as in heat? If it's the CO/products of combustion, putting them into the smugglers box could be deadly. There is a tube that goes straight to the cabin from there...

Bottom of open Smuggler's Box before completion showing 2 ports:

What am I missing here?

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 11-13-2017, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

The two ports on the bottom are combustion air and exhaust will go through the floor of the smuggler's box via flexible metal hoses.

The heat exits the EBersacher through the large flexible hose at the end.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.

Last edited by Canada Kev; 11-13-2017 at 03:42 PM..
Old 11-13-2017, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
The two ports on the bottom are combustion air and exhaust will go through the floor of the smuggler's box via flexible metal hoses.

The heat exits the EBersacher through the large flexible hose at the end.
Yep. Airflow for heating:

Air for combustion at the bottom (taking air somewhere near steering column in my case) as said, as well as exhaust leading under the car. Here is my exhaust hose:

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 11-13-2017, 11:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: