Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My first post was 3/7/2009 and the LS2 motor is my 2nd engine to install so it is hard to say the amount of hours. I also spend 75% of my time on the road and in China so I spent more time planning than executing. At most I spent 1 weekend each month and had parts and plans waiting.

I am having 2nd thoughts on my exhaust and thinking of dropping the 2 side mufflers and keeping the X-over muffler or dropping the X-over and keeping the side mufflers. Still undecided but think having a set of test pipes made to go straight from the manifold into the X-over would have the most power gains but also more expensive to have fabricated. Dropping the X-over and running tips out the back would be pretty cheap and easy to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packy View Post
you should get more than 400 hp with a LS1 and a LS6 intake. Too bad the exhaust is soo restrictive. My roommate has a LS1 that puts 420 to the wheels and is not built very strong. Those motors and monsters.

It's cool to see this in the works.

How long has it taken you with how much work? i.e. "6 months, 10 hoursevery weekend."
Old 07-13-2010, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #261 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghai_todd View Post
My first post was 3/7/2009 and the LS2 motor is my 2nd engine to install so it is hard to say the amount of hours. I also spend 75% of my time on the road and in China so I spent more time planning than executing. At most I spent 1 weekend each month and had parts and plans waiting.

I am having 2nd thoughts on my exhaust and thinking of dropping the 2 side mufflers and keeping the X-over muffler or dropping the X-over and keeping the side mufflers. Still undecided but think having a set of test pipes made to go straight from the manifold into the X-over would have the most power gains but also more expensive to have fabricated. Dropping the X-over and running tips out the back would be pretty cheap and easy to do.
I think you'll find it too loud if you run just the side mufflers, and you'd loose the x-over funtion as well. That big muffler was designed for V8 resonance, and should sound awesome by itself.

You're getting close...
Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #262 (permalink)
Master Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghai_todd View Post

Here's an idea. Take a Corvette C5 exhaust and switch the positions of the mufflers from left to right. Butt-weld the mufflers back to back and it looks and works almost like a traditional 911 exhaust, but is designed for the LS motors.

Here's a photo mock-up of what I'm describing:

Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #263 (permalink)

What was the reluctor wheel converter for? LS1 electronics and an LS2 engine?

edit: awesome that its running, how could I forget to mention that... I'm close to beginning work on fabbing my engine cradle. I've got my entire front end completed and am going to start work on the back :-D
Old 07-29-2010, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #264 (permalink)

My original setup and harness was for an LS1 so when I dropped in the LS2 I did not want to change the harness and sensors so I went with he reluctor wheel conversion and modified some sensors (Knock, CAM Sensor)

Biggest problem I have now is to much HP and torque causing my rearend to bottom out when accelerating

In a couple of weeks I will be adding rear coil overs and a larger oil cooler.

Post some pics of your cradle and install, curious to see what it looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaran View Post
What was the reluctor wheel converter for? LS1 electronics and an LS2 engine?

edit: awesome that its running, how could I forget to mention that... I'm close to beginning work on fabbing my engine cradle. I've got my entire front end completed and am going to start work on the back :-D
Old 07-29-2010, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #265 (permalink)

EFI intake

I've been watching with great interest over the last few months the progress some of you guys are making. I'm finishing up the bodywork on my '74 coupe and then will be ready to do my LS2 conversion. I'm going with RH and a front radiator.
I had to take a break from a long summer of sanding to at least trial fit my engine and I wanted to share the success I've had with my choice of intake. I've got the Edelbrock pro flow XT EFI manifold on my LS2 ( part #71403). It easily clears the oil pressure boss so no need for modification there. I've also got the original 90mm throttle body and am using Specter Performance's elbow ( Part #9781). I'm very happy with this setup, not even close with any clearance (of course I'm running a rear spoiler as the manifold sticks out of the lid)
Time to take the motor back out and finish sanding the body (that's why everything in my pictures are covered with dust) Will have paint soon then can finish my mechanicals.
I want to thank shanghai_todd, mbaran, Rebel911, mkingham, and bunch of other guys on this forum who have helped me plan this project. I'll start my own thread when I have a little more to offer. Thanks again
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #266 (permalink)

Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #267 (permalink)

Well Played, can not wait to see more. If I were to do it all over again I think I would have looked at other intake options as well. Some of the Victor Jr intakes with the throttle opening in the middle would be interesting to work with.

Where do you plan to put the air filter and what size you going with?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #268 (permalink)

I'm probably just going to run it down the right side near where the oil tank used to be. Haven't decided on size yet but the tubing is 4". I'm impressed with the quality of Spectre's stuff. Just buy the pieces I need, mush less expensive then some of the cold air kits I've seen. They also have a MAF sensor tube and filter housings
Old 09-22-2010, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #269 (permalink)

re:Intake

Be careful with intake choices.

I went with edelbrock intake and holley carb on my 5.3.

A 14" air cleaner with a 2" filter and a drop base will fit, but there is no room
for the a/c condenser.

I have wondered whether it would have been worth the electronics hassle
of FI to save the A/C issues.

I put my condenser in the front, but am having trouble with a/c performance and cooling system performance when it gets above 95 or so.

I'm presently mocking up a custom air cleaner so I can fit another condenser in the engine lid to supplement the front condenser. The front condenser is currently 16x24, so I may consider a smaller one to aid with cooling , depending on how much condenser I can put in the engine lid.

Regards,
Ken

Ken and Becky Dibble Homepage
Old 10-19-2010, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #270 (permalink)

ls conversion

LSXFan mentioned the front sump pan as used on the gto. i am in the process of specing out the motor for my conversion and wish to use the front sump...are there further opinions or do any of you guys see any difficulty with the front sump?
Old 10-21-2010, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #271 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7310948 View Post
LSXFan mentioned the front sump pan as used on the gto. i am in the process of specing out the motor for my conversion and wish to use the front sump...are there further opinions or do any of you guys see any difficulty with the front sump?
I've got a front sump GTO pan on the LS1 that's going into my project. If it was a C5 Vette, all you need is a Pan, Pickup, and Dipstick tube. If it's an LS1 from a F-Body, you also need a new windage tray and Dipstick.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #272 (permalink)

it will be a modified LS7 drive by wire motor.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #273 (permalink)

Front sump

I don't think the front sump pan won't work with the RH engine cradle. Rear sump no problem
Old 10-26-2010, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #274 (permalink)

thanks rotornut. do any of you guys with conversions know> maybe a picture from the side of engine with a clear view of the front of the pan rail relative to the cradle would help! can anyone perhaps snap a pic? by the way, i started on my conversion today...bought the Z06 fuel filter/pressure regulator for the deadheaded fuel rails...only cost 50 dollars at O'Reillys.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #275 (permalink)

GTO Front Sump

I cannot use it on mine, but it may be possible on other conversions. I came up about a 1/2" short with clearance of the cradle. I've got a long bell 930 gearbox. I've already done my "final fitting" of gearbox and engine into the car and the cradle is "set". I don't have any more room to move the engine towards the front of the car. Someone using a short bell 930 or 915 box might have that clearance. The first picture is of the GTO front sump pan. You can see the little bump out in the pan that is almost out to the center line of the bolt holes. The second pic is looking at the bottom of the engine from an angle from the rear. The third is my cradle from directly overhead. If when you get your cradle position finalized (if you're using RH) and inside edge of the cradle lines up outside the center line of the bolt holes it will work. Hope this helps
Old 10-30-2010, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #276 (permalink)

GTO Front Sump

Old 10-30-2010, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #277 (permalink)

GTO Front Sump

Old 10-30-2010, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #278 (permalink)

rotornut, thanks for posting the pics. i just do not like the idea of the oil running away from the rear sump under hard acceleration at high rpms. have any of you guys looked into the feasibility of using the dry sump in conjunction with the porsche oil tank?
Old 10-31-2010, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #279 (permalink)

Fron sump pan

Same reason I wanted to try it. I might look into adding an accumulator
Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #280 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: