Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Always looking for speed

Steel wheel widening in the SF bay area

Where can I go to get my steel rims widened? I know Stockton Wheels but they are too far for me, another place in San Jose but I heard the wait time is rather long. Any other place you can recommend. I'm located in Cupertino and San Francisco.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Always looking for speed

bump - anybody have a good place to recommend? I'm willing to ship out at this point - thanks.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I had my wheels done at Stockton Wheel, but they were very hard to deal with once they had my wheels. Repeated phone calls went unreturned. I didn't know if I was getting screwed or what. Finally the wheels showed up very, very late. The finished product looked good, but I wouldn't go back. Too sketchy for me. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions.

Tim K
Old 03-23-2009, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

On second though I recall looking into The Wheel Smith a while back. I don't know if they'll modify your rim, but I believe old GM steel (truck?) rims work with the 911 steelies. I think they're in CA.

FYI here's some feedback on Stockton Wheel:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2997691&page=1

Let us know what you end up doing.

Tim K
Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Try Wheels America:

http://www.wheelsamerica.com/index.php?page=san_francisco

I've used them to fix non P-car rims and had good results.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Always looking for speed

Thanks for the feedback about Stockton Wheels. I've heard nothing but negative feedback about them so I don't think I'm going to send them there.

I'll try contact the other recommendations.

Cheers.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Call Harvey Weidmen in Oroville, he may know of someone that can assist you.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Always looking for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera32911 View Post
Try Wheels America:

http://www.wheelsamerica.com/index.php?page=san_francisco

I've used them to fix non P-car rims and had good results.
called them and they don't deal with steel rims. Thanks though!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Always looking for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal16 View Post
Call Harvey Weidmen in Oroville, he may know of someone that can assist you.
I called Harvey Friday and he said he doesn't widen steel wheels but he has a person that he is testing and should know in a few weeks.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I know that Diamond Racing Wheels works with steelies (www.diamondracingwheels.com) but they're not in CA.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Always looking for speed

Thanks for all the recommendations but I've decided to leave the steels as is and purchase a set of 15x6 fuchs. Let me know if anyone is selling a set at a reasonable price.

Cheers.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Bump for a very old thread. This thread unfortunately didn't ever wind up with any recommendations for someone who can work one steelies in the bay area (preferable South Bay/San Jose area).

I need to have a pair narrowed, bought these four as a set and need to have two modified for the front (7"). Would be interested in trading a pair if someone has a set, otherwise would anyone know a shop nearby that could do the work?

Thanks,
Bill

having some issues uploading the photo - will add below once I figure it out...
Old 02-25-2019, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Old 02-25-2019, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
How wide are those?
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 02-26-2019, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
They are 8.5" wide. Should be able to run 225 or 245 tire and fit fine on the rear of a Carrera flared car.

Bill
Old 03-03-2019, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: