Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Creaks, groans and squeaks...

Ok, here comes a possibly "duh" type of question... but just checking...

I've recently did suspension mods to my 83 SC (backdated, if it matters), and since then I notice a ton more squeaks, groans and creaks... The car now has 21/27mm T-bars and polybronzes all around...Which I assume should be silent...

So i am guessing I'm hearing from my sway bars and the car's body then? Things like attacking sloped driveways (one wheel on, 3 off) now clearly make the door rubber squeak... Is that a common thing for the tub to protest more vociferously when mated with bigger and less flexible T-bars ? (that sounds dirty)

Also seem to be getting more under dash vibrations and rattles that weren't there before... Time to tighten stuff up I guess, I assume the new suspension is making all this more obvious... Any suggestions from people who've been on the same path with the same downsides ? I should say that 5 minutes into a drive I don't hear anything anymore anyway, the 3.0 makes me partially deaf...
Old 03-28-2009, 06:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
I did the same thing with my suspension a few years ago and found some annoying noises were resolved by replacing the wheel bearings...
Restoration of my 69 911
My car proudly fuelled by Early-S-Man's advice - RIP Warren
Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Mothy
I have found the same thing - also an 83 SC. It has been a long but rewarding process tracking them down.

Squeaks like the one you describe when only one wheel is compressed entering a driveway in my case turned out to be the mounting of the fuel tank - the old roam strip had broken down with age and was rubbing metal on metal - replaced the foam with new and the noise went away. Only started after heavier torsion bars fitted.

Also more likely to find things rattle/vibrate than before - the horns were resting against the braket for front cooler.

My latest one is a squeak which only happend when the back of the car dips - only when both wheels compress together but not when only one wheel. First thing checked was new adjustable swaybar - but it swings freely when you disconnect the drop links. Last night I noticed a squeak when I lent on the muffler outlet - turns out one of the two muffler straps was a little lose and allowed metal on metal rubbing - when the rear of car dipped, it squeaked.

Internal I have found lots - even the seat sliders needed some attention for rattles.

My best friends have been a small bunch of foam wedges - ideal for isolating suspect parts from each other which might be rubbing. One you work out the rattle, you then fix it and take the foam blocks out again.

The other thing about 5 minutes into a drive is that rattles from things like heat exchangers tend to go quiet as they heat up and expand.

Maybe we should start an 'Fixing annoying squeaks and rattles' thread.

Tim
Old 03-28-2009, 09:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothy View Post
Maybe we should start an 'Fixing annoying squeaks and rattles' thread.

Tim
Let's ;-) Bump for other ideas... My car still clanks and squeaks and groans now and then, generally the first 2 minutes of the drive. Kinda like an arthritic old guy, the minute it warms up it's quieter.....

Any other suggestions ? most of the noises I have not eliminated come from the rear now... At times I feel like the tub is protesting - I hate that... Theose TBs are not that thick !!! Are they ?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:37 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Regis turd ab user

I belive SC's are notorious for clunks from the rear sway bar mounts.
All rubber, vinyl and plastic parts when cold will be noisier than when warm especially if the tolerances are close.
Both of my cars Mercedes and Porsche have more irritating and noticeable noises in the winter, but you being in Florida shouldn't have to much of a climate issue.
Along with that, everytime you upgrade or refresh a part the adjacent or related parts become suspect especially if the have not been replaced. One thing leads to another and lots of trouble shooting is envolved. Having another person ride along with you who has a good set of ears can help pinpoint these things, sitting by yourself on one side of the car can be misleading.

David
Old 05-07-2009, 06:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Old 05-07-2009, 06:04 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: