Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
At the track = great day

Garage
Thumbs up Mitch Leland's Steering Wheel Bushing

I know Mitch has talked about his steering wheel bushing in some threads but not many people have given a review of it. So I figured I'd be that adventurous soul to do so..

First some background, my steering wheel had more shaking in it than I thought was correct. Since I've slowly been turning my car into a track vehicle and was about to change out the steering wheel I decided to buy Mitch's steering wheel bushing since the time was right to do it.

His instructions were clear and easy to understand, even if installing it isn't that big of a deal. I had the old steering wheel and parts off in under five minutes. Installing his bushing is as simple as pushing it down onto the steering shaft and then using a dowel rod to push it until it stops going any further. If you're going to just be replacing the bushing I would expect the job to take 30 minutes tops.

After installing the new steering wheel I took it out for a spin and there was a noticeable difference. The steering had a much better feel and for lack of a better term, it felt "modern." There was no more shaking that I felt before, had zero play and it still maintained the road feel that I was expecting from the 911. However, you know it takes more than a single time around the block to make sure it really works well. So, I took it to one of the local tracks and ran 4 20-minute sessions to see how it felt. After the sessions, I can say without hesitation it is by far one of the cheapest and easiest upgrades you can and should make to the 911.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
rhymes with targa

How did you order the bushing? Does he have a website?
I do recall a thread a while back with him in the "testing" phase.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
B.V.

Check your PM mail...
Old 06-16-2009, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I ordered one of these bushings from Mitch a few weeks ago but I haven't had a chance to install it. It'll be replacing the common steel bushing fix.

When I do I'll be sure to post the results!

Stay tuned...
Old 06-17-2009, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

What's the difference in this and a stock replacement?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
newb.

I'd like to know as well.

r gruppe #436
zuffenhaus: products|eurowerks

Last edited by eimkeith; 06-17-2009 at 05:11 AM..
Old 06-17-2009, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

At the track = great day

Garage
I'm sure I might miss something here but I'll describe it the best I can.

The stock steering bushing is made up of: a star washer, a cir-clip, a metal sleeve and a rubber bushing held in by the sleeve and cir-clip.

The bushing that Mitch has made only uses the cir-clip of the original steering bushing. The other pieces are not needed.

Here is a picture of his bushing from the thread I referenced in my original post:

and here is what it looks like installed (minus the cir-clip and also from that same thread):

Old 06-17-2009, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I'll answer "Rustbucket's" question, however in fairness to Wayne who offers a competing product; it's not fair for me to use this forum to advance this product.

Simply this support bushing is a press fit on both the steering shaft and the inner race of the factory steering column roller bearing. The only moving parts that rub or wear on themselves is the factory roller bearings. This can only be done because of the close tolerances of the bushing.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
I have one too ! Gets an A+ from me as well. Much better feel than the metal sleeve and i sleep better at night knowing there are no metal bits rubbing away at the steering shaft
Old 06-17-2009, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I took mine apart as my steering has too much play - up and down and around.
Here is what I found

The white bits must be the old bushing and the clip on the column must have held it on - right?
I took the star washer off but don't see a metal sleeve where is that?
The white bits that were left don't seem like enough - it looks like most of the old bushing must have slid down the shaft behind the bearing.
I've contacted Mitch for a new bushing but am wondering if I need to try to get the rest of the old bits out.
'10 Cayenne
'15 Ram EcoDiesel

Last edited by tomphot; 07-05-2009 at 11:36 AM..
Old 07-05-2009, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Leland View Post
I'll answer "Rustbucket's" question, however in fairness to Wayne who offers a competing product; it's not fair for me to use this forum to advance this product.

Simply this support bushing is a press fit on both the steering shaft and the inner race of the factory steering column roller bearing. The only moving parts that rub or wear on themselves is the factory roller bearings. This can only be done because of the close tolerances of the bushing.
There is no reason to not offer the device to Pelican Parts to sell. To me, it's not a "competing" part. It's another approach.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

+1 for Mitch's bushing - works great on my 84 and seems like a much better solution than the metal insert.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Another thumbs up for Mitch's bushing.

Maybe helpful to some, I installed the bushing last weekend and found that with the wheel nut torqued to the correct spec (50NM, following Mitch's excellent instructions) there was some binding in the steering. Loosening the nut solved the problem but didn't seem safe.

Tonight I had a chance to dig into it again and after removing the bushing I noticed the bushing had rotated from it's initial position suggesting something impeding its movement. Looking down the shaft I noticed large remnants of the plastic bushing -- further down than the pieces I removed initially but high enough (I suspect) to interfere with the new bushing. I used a bent plastic card to push them down further:

Much improved; not 100% but I suspect the u-joint(s) which is a project for another day.
Absolutely no play in the steering wheel now which from what I understand is not the case with the replacement 928 sleeve.

Last edited by MrScott; 09-15-2009 at 09:13 PM..
Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Mitch's steering bushing...

Adriano, thanks for the heads up.

If there was ever a problem with my bushing install, it was due to the remnants of the factory bushing getting lodged in the roller bearing or, as in your case, stuck between the steering shaft and the bearing. Thanks for your input.

I'm happy to announce that Pelican Parts has agreed to stock my bushing and will now be the sole distributor. I feel this will enable me to make it available to more Porsche owners through their catalog. I will continue to be available for technical help.

Again, thanks for your positive feedback. I appreciate it.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Bye, Bye.

What is the cost for one of these bushings???
Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Drivin' Miss Daisy

Garage
+1 for the bushing. It was an easy install in my 78 SC. Mitch is prompt and courteous. I'm glad that Pelican is now going to stock the bushing as well.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
We are pleased to now feature Mitch's steering wheel bushing!
The price is $29
You can find it in our catalog by clicking this (very long) link:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search.cgi?command=show_part_page&please_wait=N&make=POR&model=911M&section=SUSstr&page=5&bookmark=23&part_number=PEL-ML-STR
Old 09-16-2009, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Get one of these before you get the metal sleeve. It's worth the price, well made, and is a much better solution than the "band-aid".
Old 09-16-2009, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

will these work on 69-73 cars?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott at Pelican Parts View Post
We are pleased to now feature Mitch's steering wheel bushing. The price is $29
Excellent! I'll be adding one to my next order.
Deceased: Black '88 Carrera Coupe, Steve Wong and Russell Berry chips, Dansk premuffler, custom MK GT3-style muffler, Magnecores. Al Reed 7 & 8 X 16 Fuchs. Full Elephant Racing suspension, 21/28 T-bars, Turbo tierods, bump steer kit, Bilstein Sports, BK strut bar. Ruf bumpers, 935 mirrors, Carrera 3.0 tail, DasSport bar.
'11 BMW 328iX, '14 Nissan Frontier 4X4, '92 Acura NSX.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: