Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

83 SC Cab wind deflector w/pics

First I would like to say thank you to Pelican for allowing informative posts. This part is not available from Pelican. I've seen threads but none recent, so here goes. I like the wind in my hair (what's left anyway), but my Mrs does not. Many evenings when going out to dinner the SC has remained at home, but no longer. The wife is now a happy camper that her "do" is not wind blown.
I called the folks at Classic Additions in the UK and took the leap of faith. I am very happy with the product and below are some install pics. Although not cheap about $360 (shipping & duty included). the price will vary due to the exchange rate from the GBP to USD, I think it looks great, it can be installed and removed without tools in about a minute. One side note the 1st picture is the drill bit I used to go through the carpet, if rotated slowly it will not cause a "run" and gives a clean hole.

this is the panels installing the grommets

this is the view inside the speaker panels

this shows one of the speaker panels installed

this is a close up of the spring loaded mounting pin

this is three views with the deflector installed

Here's the best part, this can be installed or removed in about a minute by retracting the mounting pins, then fold it and it goes in the trunk.

if anyone needs contact info pm me, if you call they give a reduced price than that listed on the website.
C.R.A.P Gruppe Registry #27
Old 08-14-2009, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Spring, TX? McCullough High School? Sonic along I45?

How does the "Cowboys" around Conroe like the 911?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
French Import

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk911sc View Post
First I would like to say thank you to Pelican for allowing informative posts. This part is not available from Pelican. I've seen threads but none recent, so here goes. I like the wind in my hair (what's left anyway), but my Mrs does not. Many evenings when going out to dinner the SC has remained at home, but no longer. The wife is now a happy camper that her "do" is not wind blown.
I called the folks at Classic Additions in the UK and took the leap of faith. I am very happy with the product and below are some install pics. Although not cheap about $360 (shipping & duty included). the price will vary due to the exchange rate from the GBP to USD, I think it looks great, it can be installed and removed without tools in about a minute. One side note the 1st picture is the drill bit I used to go through the carpet, if rotated slowly it will not cause a "run" and gives a clean hole.

if anyone needs contact info pm me, if you call they give a reduced price than that listed on the website.
I didn't see my 86 Cabriolet listed on their web site so I left them a note.
Let's see what they say.
What cost did shipping from the UK and duty add to the bill?

Happiness is not having a Porsche in the garage... Happiness is having a Porsche on the road!
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, 2011 BMW 1200RT, 03 Saab 93 Cabriolet, 06 MB E350 Estate

Last edited by zippy_gg; 08-14-2009 at 02:05 PM..
Old 08-14-2009, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
Thanks for the write up & info. I just might have to get one . . . for the same reason . . .

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 08-14-2009, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Zippy, the actual cost for the deflector was 150GBP, +50GBP shipping, when it arrive in the states the agent sent me a bill for 22.30USD (customs). With the credit card conversion rate & outside US transaction fee total everything 360USD. BTW I ordered it on 11 aug and recieved it 14 Aug.

Give them a call +44-1938-561717 and ask to speak to Adrian.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
French Import

Garage
Porsche Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk911sc View Post
Zippy, the actual cost for the deflector was 150GBP, +50GBP shipping, when it arrive in the states the agent sent me a bill for 22.30USD (customs). With the credit card conversion rate & outside US transaction fee total everything 360USD. BTW I ordered it on 11 aug and recieved it 14 Aug.

Give them a call +44-1938-561717 and ask to speak to Adrian.

Good luck.
Thank you Dan, that is great info!

Happiness is not having a Porsche in the garage... Happiness is having a Porsche on the road!
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, 2011 BMW 1200RT, 03 Saab 93 Cabriolet, 06 MB E350 Estate
Old 08-14-2009, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Just in case someone is wondering, the passenger seat is all the way back and partially reclined in the side view picture.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered knucklehead

Garage
Dan,

Could you answer a couple questions please....

It looks like the wind screen will not fold flat with the rear seat backs in the up position, is this correct?

Will it install with the rear seat backs in the folded down position? If so will it fold flat in that position or will it hit the cab boot/ cover?

Looks like a nice product and I am seriously considering for the same reason as you did.

Thanks,

Gregg
C.R.A.P. Gruppe Member #10
SCWDP Member #34
1983 911 SC Cabriolet, 1989 944 S2
1969 Chevelle SS396 w/427 Vette motor, 1970 Buick GS455
2000 BMW 528i Touring, 2005 GMC Sierra
Old 08-14-2009, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

83 Cab wind deflector

Gregg,

Sorry for the delayed reply, but I wanted to give you a good response.
For my installation it will not fold down, this is because I have oversized speakers and could not mount the deflector grommets more forward in the cabin. I also had to increase the angle of the lower section to fit in my application. No bother to me as it removes quickly and easily.

Now for the good news. This morning I went out and positioned the deflector more forward and it will fold down, see pictures below. Another good to know is that you can raise and lower the top with the deflector in place. I also had the car out for a drive, it was 97 degrees here in Houston and with the deflector installed at hwy speeds 70+ I could still feel the AC on my face and right side of my body (the left side and back were usual sticky sweaty).

At the end of the day, I'm very pleased. On Saturday I was at a "Wings & Wheels" show and serveral other P-car owners were also interested after seeing the almost factory appearance of this product.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Plotter and C.R.A.P.per

Looks great!

- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

All, here is one last update. I took the Mrs out for a test of the wind deflector. She has straight hair approximately mid back in length. At 100mph (yes I know not on the street), only a minor disturbance to the hair (not beating her face as before). Then we rolled up the windows, shudder the thought! and not a hair out of place. The SC has now been cleared for dress up evening outings.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
What?

Garage
I put one on my car about 6 years ago and haven't had any trouble with it and I take it in out frequently so kids can ride in the back.
CaymanS
SCWDP / GruppeB
Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I ordered one of these on Wednesday and it arrived tonight!! Great product and very easy company to deal with.

1983 911 Cabriolet (3.6L conversion)
Guards Red
2007 BMW X5
Old 08-21-2009, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Hey there.. anyone with a manual Cab later than 83 have one of these installed?

Zippy_gg.. have you heard back yet from your inquiry? The site lists a model that fits manual tops from 72-83, and one for an electric "hood", but nothing for a manual top 84 onwards (mine is a manual 84).

I guess it would come down to differences between the rear quarterpanel construction/sizing/spacing between the SC and Carrerra?

I also have a issue getting the cab cleared for nice nights out (hair issues). Plus.. for the long hauls (3 hours plus at highway speeds) a little less buffeting would be nice.

I guess I could also call them, but I trust you guys more :-)

David
Old 08-21-2009, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered knucklehead

Garage
Dan thanks for the update and info.. Looks great and I am on vacation at my fathers doing numerous home repairs so haven't checked these things regularly. Looks like I will have to order one when I get back home.

Thanks again,
Gregg
C.R.A.P. Gruppe Member #10
SCWDP Member #34
1983 911 SC Cabriolet, 1989 944 S2
1969 Chevelle SS396 w/427 Vette motor, 1970 Buick GS455
2000 BMW 528i Touring, 2005 GMC Sierra
Old 08-22-2009, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
I just ordered one from Classic Additions. £179.17 shipping included. They subtract the VAT.

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 05-07-2010, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Funny. I ordered mine a few weeks ago too. Just arrived the other day. I'll post pics once installed.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
I rec'd my wind blocker from Classic. On the phone he mentioned some improvement to it. Well, it appears smaller than previously pictured . . . this is just test mounted, I haven't drilled yet.

It leaves a pretty big space at the rear & the new rear mount is useless. Moving it further back might reduce the wind blocking.

This is with the mounts sitting on top of the 'shelf' on the side. Mounting it lower might reduce the blocking.

This shows the side spring mount fully extended equal amounts on both sides as far back as the boot cover would allow. The mounting receptacle (hollow plastic bolt) would be flush with the face of the 'shelf'.

It is obvious that I will have to figure out a mounting method that will work. I will update this thread when I do. The fit & finish is great but the mounting issues are not.

Ian

Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Ian, it's a shame that they would screw with a design that worked. But while looking at your pictures, it looks like the deflector would be better fit with the back seats down. Have you tried to fit it like that? Did that middle middle mount come with a grommet? I would give them a call or e-mail your pictures to them, before I drilled anything.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Ian..

Any success/ideas on the mounting? I have been playing around with mine and have the same issues, as mine too is the "improved" design.

It also looks like I will have to cut a hole in the tonneau cover to make this new design work, which I am not crazy about. I much prefer the "tabs" mounted on the side of DFK911sc's unit, that rest on the rear quarters.

Re the height, it seems that it would need a) longer side pins, or b) some form of grommet that was mounted a few inches proud of the rear quarters to make the top of the deflector in line with top of the front seats. Am thinking of fabbing a couple of carpet covered blocks and screwing them in to the rear quarters, but wondering if you had any bright ideas on this one.

David
Old 06-01-2010, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: