Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Targa to Sicily

After 30 years in the US, (15 of which have been in my hands), my trusty 1980 Targa is going back to the continent from wence she came. If it weren't for you guys here, numerous threads and vendors, i would never have been able to rebuild her over the past year. With the help of another pelican, i rebuilt the 3.0 into a now screaming 3.2SS. Today I finally dropped her off at the port of Charleston, SC...Next stop, Antwerp, Belgium.

Starting next month, i will be doing something i have always wanted to do... drive my 911 in through the continent at the speed that she was built to run at, running the 'ring, visiting the factory museum and perhaps Ruf facilities. Then, across the alps and down Italy. My final desitination is the island of Sicily, specifically a little slice of driver's paradise not far from Palermo.

I had so much stuff going on in the last year (planning Turbopalooza, finishing the 914/6 projekt, new baby, etc), that i didn't have time to start a thread, but i did take a bunch of pix while i was working. Well, technically i did start a thread on the motor rebuild Tbitz engine rebuild
but i soon realized that if i was going to pull off this trip before the apocalypse, i would be better off choosing between doing either the suspension/body stuff, or motor, but not both. i choose the former, and let a fellow Pelican help me do the latter

Anyway, for what it's worth, I thought that i would now share some of my pix from the last year, along with some insights on stuff i did in my particular build, as well as parts used.

Furthermore, i thought i would go through what's involved with shipping your car to Europe, as it's a lot easier than u might think.

BTW, just for reference and a few laughs, here is how she looked 15 yrs ago, right after i bought her... can u say Miami Vice?

1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 08-24-2009, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

good luck & enjoy the drive round europe. careful on the ring.

hg

1988 911 Cabrio
Old 08-24-2009, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Suspension

Basically, my suspension has suffered from the neglect that comes with being a daily driver for about 10+ years.

Tired bushings, worn out control arms, worn wheel bearings, loose ball joints... like Prego, its all in there.
Attacked it all.. heat is your friend when it come to ball joint pins

... and a good hammer

Victory

I knew that i wanted to replace the A-arm bushings with something similar, and found the Classic Speed and Parts items in the A-arm bushing thread... the old ones came off easy with heat, and the new ones slid on just as easy with my bushing contraption

As for strut advice, i called Clint at rebel racings, and he recommened raising my spindles 30mm since i was going to be running 9x16 in front, along with bump steer kit, bilstein sports, 21mm bars and drop links for the control arms. Really sweet stuff and a great guy

Switched the calipers off my 84 Carrera and bolted on some new slotted and vented rotors, carbon fiber brake ducts, stainless lines, wheels bearings (they were a pain), control arms and voila!

Bling, Bling, she's ready for the 'Ring
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 08-24-2009, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Through the hood fill cap

I really dig the look of the old ST's and their through the hood fill caps, but i like the idea of using the original tank for financial reasons, as well as having the filler offset for ease of filling. Plus, i finally got to put my ebay acquired Blau to good use.

Thus, i mocked up how i wanted it to look with silicone tubing and clamps

As my previous hood had been taken out last winter in a deer strike, i acquired a used fiberglass short hood from a fellow pelican, and mounted it up, marked the top with a taped pattern, and one big hole saw later, presto:

The final version was done up in all steel by a friend whose welding skills are far better than mine, Peter Petrucelli of Forged metal in Wilmington

The final look came out quite nice. I'll post some detail pix later.

BTW, to make room for the filler, i obviously had to remove the factory filler, and i was quite surprised by how rusted it was

D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 08-25-2009, 12:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
yep, im slow in the head

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to carslutt
wow thats amazing!.... good luck with the tirp
Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Motor

As you can imagine, after 280,000 miles,although still running strong, the motor was leaking like a sieve and looked pretty knarly when i pulled her

I initially contemplated a 3.6 transplant, but wanted to retain the character of a smaller displacement motor, so i decided on a 3.2SS. This would allow me to keep a lot of the stock parts, as well as my TBitzz EFI system which would allow for flexibility in tuning a higher compression motor. I enlisted the help of a fellow Pelican, Bruce Abbott (flat6PAC) in helping me with the build, and his experience taught me a lot that i didnt know.

Specs:
3.0 SC case, crank, rods
95mm Carrera pistons bored out to 98mm
Custom 9.8:1 JE's
DC40 'ModS' Cam
Large port '79 heads, single plug, EBS racing springs and retainers
Large port stock '79 intake runners, plenum, TB
Tbitz MS EFI
Recurved distributor
SSI's
Custom magnaflow exhaust

Install day in May... nothing like a newly rebuilt motor waiting to be plugged in

First run, June 9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dpN59gLKek and walkaround after being in dark for 8 months http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqEI-xeCNAM

Final results as of last week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8HDLIlY7gM

Final dyno results, 198whp, 188lb/ft. Really sweet motor.

Further motor info here for anyone interested 3.2SS with MS EFI dyno results

Shout out to my boy Shawn Tietjen at BNT performance who helped me with tuning

As well as fellow Pelican Jamie Novak (whose 3.2SS was my inspiration along with Gunter) for helping me get a good base tune when he happened to be visiting family in Wilmington right after i got her running

D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 08-30-2009, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like a very cool trip ahead of you! It's amazing to see these cars change with the decades but still remain very relevant!

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the trip details. You've got me thinking that I need to plan the same thing. I'm headed to Germany in 2011 for my nephew's high school graduation so maybe I need to ship one of my cars over there for the ultimate trip! What things do you need to take into consideration for this (insurance, shipping time line, etc.).
1995 993 Coupe
1997 993 Targa (sold)
Old 08-31-2009, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Your friends with Shawn from BNT?? holy $hit!!!! it is such a small world.. i bought his silver procharged vette a few years back, did you know the car?? that's crazy...
small small world!!
Old 08-31-2009, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Morton View Post
Sounds like a very cool trip ahead of you! It's amazing to see these cars change with the decades but still remain very relevant!

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the trip details. You've got me thinking that I need to plan the same thing. I'm headed to Germany in 2011 for my nephew's high school graduation so maybe I need to ship one of my cars over there for the ultimate trip! What things do you need to take into consideration for this (insurance, shipping time line, etc.).
Thanks Dan. Stay tuned for the details on getting the car over there... it was a project in and of itself. Not as difficult as some might think, but as i found out, u gotta start the process early to avoid any last minute headaches. Even though the EU has streamlined port procedures, different countries have different protocols.
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 08-31-2009, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelturbo View Post
Your friends with Shawn from BNT?? holy $hit!!!! it is such a small world.. i bought his silver procharged vette a few years back, did you know the car?? that's crazy...
small small world!!
LOL Brad! Shawn is a truly great guy with maddd tuning skills. He pretty much got the Turbo where it is after starting from scratch with the TEC-GT system, and worked magic with the SC as well. Muscle cars and ricers are his bread and butter, but i think he has really enjoyed working on and learning the nuances of the old air-cooled 6.
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 08-31-2009, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

yea he really is a good guy.. he'd probably be upset that i didn't keep his vette longer, he really loved that car, he didn't want me to buy it.. i acutally kind of felt bad.. haha.. next time you see him tell him i said hello.

But very nice finished product.. sounds like a freaking blast driving it all over Europe.. best of luck with that!! why didn't you take the turbo if you don't mind me asking??

Oh and one more thing.. show me a little love on my FS thread for my car.. anything positive from someone that has been around the car can't hurt! haha
Old 08-31-2009, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

And to think I didn't get a picture of your face the first time we had the base tune capable of going to redline. A picture really is worth a 1000 words - most of which would be adjectives or maybe superlatives.

I am just glad to have been part of the project. How much did Shawn change the base map. I am sure it was quite a bit once you fixed the WBO2 signal. I am curious how close we got driving by feel.

Of course, I am ready to follow the car through the EU. That is going to be so much fun.

Jamie
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Enjoy your trip, we need the master planner back in one piece. Hey How about a track day at MIS or Grattan that end up at my house on lake Charlevoix with lots of twisties combined with three mile straightaways nothing you joyful noise and deer to worry about no LEOs for miles?
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 08-31-2009, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Drive fast. Drive safe. Enjoy Italy!

ps ... take pics of the Villa
Old 08-31-2009, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys, as u can imagine, i'm pretty stoked.

Brad, just gave your FS thread a 'boost' with some youtube footage from a certain weekend Shawn talks often about that 'vette and how amazing it was. Kind of a legend apparently around Wilmington. As for taking the turbo to Europe, a couple of things as to why i decided not to. It's my understanding that on the continent, noise ordinances are even more strictly enforced than here in the US, especially on the track. While i love the Zork, i was worried that i might get a hard time from local police, or be told that i couldn't run Spa or the Ring. Whether the noise issue is actually true, i will find out when get over there. The other thing is that the N/A Targa is somewhat better suited for the roads in Sicily around where my place is, and even throughout southern italy. Lots of hills and twisties, similar to western NC.

Jamie, the changes that Shawn made were fairly subtle, with some fine tuning of the cold start values. We took 1 degree of timing out, and things seemed to crisp up a bit. Yeah, i bet that S--- eating grin on my face that day was priceless

Linc, sounds great... do i hear a site for Turbopalooza 3 or 4?
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 08-31-2009, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Justin, the vette was awesome, a true beast.. heres a little video i took when i first got it.. don't mind the morons in the video with me! haha
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/my-630whp-procharged_65431.htm
Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Hi

I think you made the right choice by not bringing the Turbo "over here".

I have read, just recently, that the local police down at the Ring is now strictly enforcing German legislation in respect to DOT stuff. In Germany everything has got to be TÜV approved for it to be put on a vehicle.

To be specific, the hood retaining clips you got on the Targa I bet aren't TÜV approved. This in combination with the fact that they are sort of "sticking out" might not be considered safe, maybe duck tape can do the trick while you're at the Ring.
I just read a short notice about this in the "911 and Porsche world" mag. They also refer to a website for further info. I can get that, If you desire.

Depending on the duration of your trip. You should consider going to Norway next summer. They got some crazy driving up there :-)
Driving there, you'll drive trough some nice more laid back danish costal scenery - we got great beer... Norway not so much.

Best of luck

Let me know if I can help you in any way

Jesper
Old 09-01-2009, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I got a quote from the port of houston to the port of antwerp $800 /// What sort of shipping rate did you get ? What is the best Euro port to come into and get the car through ? How about the return ? Thanks
Member #750 Early911S Registry
1970 911E
I know Where Jerry S. has his NYC Garage
Yadda Yadda Yadda
Old 09-01-2009, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Jesper, thanks for the 411 regarding the Ring. I found some rumblings about this somewhere on the web, but it was vague and did not give much detail, and the Ring website is not clear either. I guess i will have to buy the lastest 911&PW to get more info. Honestly, the more i find out about increasing regulation in Germany, other than a few key aforementioned destinations, the less time i really want to spend driving there. Had to change my port of entry from Bremerhaven due to German regulatory BS.

Boxster, will be going over shipping stuff in detail later, but i was quoted $750 as the basic transport fee by Wallenius from Charleston to Bremerhaven or Antwerp. However, unless u have a special shipping license, etc, you pretty much have to use a 'broker' who handles all the details and communications with port officials and transport line, which adds about $200-250 onto this base quote.
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 09-02-2009, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Well, the car is about mid-atlantic now, and seems to be ontime to Antwerp on the 18th.

A couple of post motor install shot prior to install of H4 and hood prep.

Can u believe the sale of this sole remaining beat-up H1 (after a deer took out other one) financed the purchase of two shiny new H4 with better light??

Can anyone identify these style leather Recaro's? The got sold on ebay to finance a set of used comfy SRD's.

Shakedown in the mountains a couple of weeks ago. Gotta luv duct tape... my old smile blew up around Asheville

Can u tell she was running rich initially?

D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 09-11-2009, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: