Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
Nice touch to invoke Pythagoras and Euclidean geometry.

I don't like the standard jacking plates for that very reason plus the smooth plate itself is open to the possibility of slipping from the jack under load.
Yes, when I use my purchased tool, I make sure the edge rests within the lip of the jack. And, of course, I make sure the jack roll freely, and the surface is smooth and clean.

When I fabbed my race car, I dropped a tube at the center of gravity from the door bars to the floor of the car and welded a plate to it. I made a block that fits in the cup section of the jack, and rounded the top surface. I have pin that projects up though the block, and it slides through a hole in the cars floor and the jacking plate, where I grab it with a hitch pin. Of course the holes are elongated to allow for the angle change that occurs while jacking.

Works like a charm AND meets the rules which don't allow "attached" jacking points. (Mine merely 'rests' on the inside surface of floorboard, hence the pin to register and maintain it's position.)

Old 11-28-2009, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I made this for my jack out of 4 x 4 x 1/4 steel tubing. I didn't have a piece of 3/4" pipe that would fit in the hole so I used an old socket and welded it on. Much much more stable than a loose 4 x 4 wood block between the jack and the car.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 11-28-2009, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

Old 11-28-2009, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
All jack plates must not be the same because on mine the "plate" sits in the jack and the jack can't slide out from under it.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered

Jack Plate

Or turn the jack plate at 90 deg. (from that plate down position in paul's photo) for a positive nesting into the jack cup.

Factory photos show the cars being lifted from the bottom of the engine to about a meter, or so, in height for servicing. I followed suit and have jacked on the lug at the front of the engine for 25 years. On all cars with the return oil line that runs under the engine/transmission, use a wood block so the edge of the jack cup doesn't rest on/crush that oil line.

Good jack: Norco Professional #71230 A , 2.25 ton, has a cup ht of 3.75" rise to 19.75", front wheel 3.5" deck is about 28" long. 100lbs or so. around $250.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Somatic Negative Optimist

Garage
Good stuff.

As long as the plate rests in the cup I see no problem.

I remember jacks with smaller cups under the plate just riding on the lip of the cup; not good.

Lifting by the engine has been debated a few times here with 50/50 results. I remember the picture of Ferdinand and Butzi with the rear-lift, but, I don't think it is recommended in the driver's manual or the Porsche Service Manuals. If it is, I'd love to see it.

It's up to the individual; Some do, some don't.

I avoid it because I don't want to stress the engine case and the body cross piece taking up the total weight of the rear.
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 11-29-2009, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

does anyone have photos of the jack stand locations actually under the car? Are you using the U-shaped saddles right on these points? I've used the torsion bar covers in the rear and the front mount of the a-arms in front (has two bolts) but will be doing suspension work soon and don't know where to put the stands. I'll need all 4 wheels/areas free at the same time. I have using that diagram...just don't trust myself enough. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Mark how much did the Snap-On jack cost...I have been looking for a made in USA jack.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Costco low profile 3 ton jack for $100 and Harbor Fright jack stands for $15.00. We are talking a super jack here. I know it is heavy but after it is out of the box, you never have to lift it again!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
don't assume that Snap-On jacks are made in USA
Old 09-24-2013, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

I've seen the 99$ Costco jack for $79 recently. (I own one at $99 and it is great.) Btw great thread with some great Grady content.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
With the average weight of a 911 being about 2700 lbs, why buy jacks that are rated for 4-6,000 lbs? Same with the floor jack ratings. Why go to the expense of buying a 3 ton jack, when the whole car doesn't even weigh that much and one is only lifting at the most, half of the car at a time?
1992 MB 190E 2.6
2004 Volvo V70 2.5 Turbo (1 of a bazillion imported)
Old 09-24-2013, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Because the red 3 ton jack from Costco is really cool! And it only costs $99.00! And it can pick up a corner of my house if need be!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG624 View Post
Mark how much did the Snap-On jack cost...I have been looking for a made in USA jack.
Two weeks ago I purchased a floor jack. I wanted steel and American made, so realistically my two choices came down to Hein Werner and Milwaukee. I found the 2-ton Hein Werner jack locally for about $290 (list is something like $529, IIRC, and most online sites sell if for about $380 though shipping is often included in that price). I paid tax, but saved on shipping. The alternative are the Danish jacks sold here on Pelican for $399.

Snap-On, Craftsman, Costco, Harbor Freight, anything you'll find at your FLAPS: all made in China. I don't know if there are any aluminum jacks made in America. Snap-On ones certainly aren't.

edit: My previous steel jack was Chinese-made. I purchased it at a FLAPS. Recently the little socket/receptacle in the base of the handle stripped, so the jack won't release. I can't find any parts for repair/replacement. Heck, I can't even confirm if the manufacturer is still in business. So until I get a local machine shop to drill out the stripped female end in the handle and weld on a 13 mm socket, the jack's out of commission. Kinda sucked at the time as I was midway through a job working on my wife's car.

But also lucky for me because I got ticked off enough to go buy a nice jack. And while the new one I now have is 3x more expensive, it's clearly much nicer to use. Rolls a lot easier and smoother. Releases in a much more controlled fashion. Supposedly it's much less likely to fail (the hydraulics), which is somewhat of a safety issue and peace-of-mind knowing I'm less likely to get stuck in the middle of a job in the future. And if anything ever breaks, I know where to get replacement parts instead of having to jury rig something or junk the whole thing.

Last edited by Noah930; 09-24-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Old 09-24-2013, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The Chinese stuff does not really bother me because I just checked...Vizio TV, Pioneer surround sound system, all our cell phones, printer, computers, tablets, couch, floor jack, jackstands, coffee tables cordless phones, just about everything I buy at Costco, Lowe's and Home Depot and Target comes from China. I think my Grand kids will use this Costco jack!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Fwiw have a 20 year old 3.5 t Costco jack, works like the day I got it, and it's been to hell and back in this time
Old 09-26-2013, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
I don't know if there are any aluminum jacks made in America. Snap-On ones certainly aren't.
Brunnhoelzl jacks are aluminum and made in the USA. Top quality, american made, used in Nascar, $1000 plus last time I looked.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Just chiming in since I scanned the thread and I don't see it mentioned.. but consider the ESCO brand jack stands sold by our host and others.. I have a set of flat topped ones for the front of the car and a set of the saddle style which I use under the torsion tubes (inboard, not the torsion bar covers). Wonderfully sturdy.. the triangular base and pin-through design seem way sturdier than your typical ratcheting jack stand with a square base....... Porsche 911 & Carrera Tools - Page 2

Old 09-27-2013, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: