Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Silver State Classic Challenge

I was watching the Speed channel this morning. Think the show was Gearz. The show was about the SSCC. Has anyone done this? Man does it sound like fun. Serious thinking about trailering the Carrera in September and trying it.

Homepage Main Menu: Flat Out On A Public Highway! (home.htm)
Old 11-28-2009, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
80 911 SC, Orem, Ut

I saw that also. Looks like fun. I'm going to check into qualifying to run it. I guess you have to go to a qualifying school in Vegas.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
just me

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to paulgtr
maybe in a panamera
too many 5 mile straights
1975 911s, 3.2l and 915 transmission front oil cooler RUF replica bumper ducktail and SC rear flares SW chip ssi's m&k 2 in 1 out sc front calipers PF 97 pads fuchs 16 x 7 and 8 225/ 245 toyo ra-1s 22/29 torsion bars 25mm Charlie Bars Neatrix bushings lowered and corner balanced DAS bolt in roll bar kirkey seat 5 point harnesses.
http://www.hairydoggrrrage.com/
Old 11-28-2009, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Mark, sounds like fun,, you going to stay at my place ? ( a short 300 miles away from beautiful downtown Lund!!!)
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 11-28-2009, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Mark, sounds like fun,, you going to stay at my place ? ( a short 300 miles away from beautiful downtown Lund!!!)
Hey Todd,
That would be cool. But aren't you north of Lund? I'd have to be in Vegas that Thursday which is about 250miles south for the school. Unless I could get a waiver because of doing track days.
Will keep you posted. Why don't you join me?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes I am but when I mapquested it it looked like Lund was in the middle of nowhere and half way between Vegas and Tahoe.
I"m a crazy SOB as most of our mutual new england buddies will attest to. But that thing scares the hell out of me.. I'd be more prone to enter the Virginia City event which is pretty crazy too. More twisties. That unlimited class kills a few every once in a while. What catagory would you think you'd sign up for ?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
SAIGON 68

Garage
9dreizig said "virginia City event which is pretty crazy...."
what is the virginia city event?

thx, jp
Old 11-29-2009, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
wanna buy a stripper pole

Send a message via Yahoo to KevinP73
I did it for a couple years in the late 80's. We ran a '69 911 in the unlimited class. It was great fun until our driver flipped the car end over end across the countryside. R.I.P Terry Herman.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Here you go Johnny
http://www.ferraripacific.org/index.cfm/ID/66/iNewsID/59/
Old 11-29-2009, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I've "run" the Silver State- you can see us working on our yellow and blue "935" at the starting line in one of the early vhs videos. The car decided to have a fuel system problem right there and then, after a 2 am in the morning pre run outside Ely (honest!)
This was the year they had the first fatality with the wife of the testarossa driver.

As with any open road event like this, you have to factor safety equipment, road conditions, car prep, skill, and tire management. A LOT of the accidents have happened due to tire failure. You should see the damage that can happen to your car if a tire lets go at 125 or so. Not pretty if you can keep it under control.
Its one thing to do this sort of long term speed at el mirage or bonneville. Quite another to be doing this on a 30 foot wide piece of asphalt with large boulders just a few feet off the road.
Fortunately for our sport, car and tire technology has improved a lot since those early years and fatalities have lessened. But as we all know s**t happens, so if you want to experience the silver state (or La Carrera Panamericana), I would recommend entering a lower speed class than your car (and above mentioned factors) is capable of.

Virginia City Hillclimb: Good to see this event still taking place. Porsches do well there with the rear engine placement. Ran it with my brother in his 2.8 power 74 carrera and we had a blast. Back then they did not have a lot of entries , so we were able to do a lot of fun runs after our recorded passes. The current entry fee is a lil steep, but events like this are hard to come by out west.
Good idea to walk the course a couple times, learn it, as the turns come a lot faster than you think, when its competition time
I'm sure you would find in car you tube to experience this too.
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 11-29-2009, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The Big Bend (west Texas) event looks like fun...its a 59 mile section of road run both directions. A bit more curvy.

BBORR - Big Bend Open Road Race

This years top speed was Charlie Friend's Corvair (yup...Corvair) at a 2 way average of 167+ mph over the combined two way 118 mile run.

He's since built a new "CINO" (corvair in name only) because of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24WO13jnBqw#t=2m35s
1997 Buell Cyclone cafe project
1998 Buell S1W: "Angriest motorcycle I've ever ridden."

Last edited by Dueller; 11-29-2009 at 11:59 AM..
Old 11-29-2009, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRE Cup View Post
I've "run" the Silver State- you can see us working on our yellow and blue "935" at the starting line in one of the early vhs videos. The car decided to have a fuel system problem right there and then, after a 2 am in the morning pre run outside Ely (honest!)
This was the year they had the first fatality with the wife of the testarossa driver.

As with any open road event like this, you have to factor safety equipment, road conditions, car prep, skill, and tire management. A LOT of the accidents have happened due to tire failure. You should see the damage that can happen to your car if a tire lets go at 125 or so. Not pretty if you can keep it under control.
Its one thing to do this sort of long term speed at el mirage or bonneville. Quite another to be doing this on a 30 foot wide piece of asphalt with large boulders just a few feet off the road.
Fortunately for our sport, car and tire technology has improved a lot since those early years and fatalities have lessened. But as we all know s**t happens, so if you want to experience the silver state (or La Carrera Panamericana), I would recommend entering a lower speed class than your car (and above mentioned factors) is capable of.

Virginia City Hillclimb: Good to see this event still taking place. Porsches do well there with the rear engine placement. Ran it with my brother in his 2.8 power 74 carrera and we had a blast. Back then they did not have a lot of entries , so we were able to do a lot of fun runs after our recorded passes. The current entry fee is a lil steep, but events like this are hard to come by out west.
Good idea to walk the course a couple times, learn it, as the turns come a lot faster than you think, when its competition time
I'm sure you would find in car you tube to experience this too.
Thank you for the first hand experience and the advice. I certainly would enter a very low speed class, 95-100 mph class. Would also take a lot of planning, especially coming from Ct.
So yeah Todd, I'd enter the 'turtle' class
Old 11-29-2009, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Big Bend:

corvette z06:

mustang cobra in 140 mph class with speeds displayed:

Silver State in 200 mph mustang cobra...straight and scary:

1997 Buell Cyclone cafe project
1998 Buell S1W: "Angriest motorcycle I've ever ridden."

Last edited by Dueller; 11-29-2009 at 01:12 PM..
Old 11-29-2009, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

That one also looks like a hoot Jim. Will keep it in mind.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

If its purely high speed you want - visit Bonneville. Just a few miles off the freeway, end of the road and its all open salt for 10 miles or so....

Old 11-30-2009, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: