Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
strange clutch behavior?

I know there is allot of info on 911 clutches but I have not seen this addressed. 86 euro cab 915 box. Only in cold weather the clutch has a slight almost false engagement just off the floor? the clutch seems quite strong. In warm weather it engages as it always has, up high on the pedal stroke and in unison with the mechanical advantage diminishing, similar to the cam on a compound bow as if it were drawn and you let it off slowly. What I know to be a "typical 915 clutch feel" There is no chatter or anything like that but on occasion it is like the clutch does not disengage fully. It shifts fine also. It's almost like having two friction points only the first one near the floor is very weak like just a bit of drag, middle of the throw nothing at all, then a normal feeling friction point? just off the floor you feel it take up the gear lash but not enough friction move the car forward. If you sit at a light while it is behaving this way you will get a faint smell of burnt clutch when you take off and engage it all the way. I just cant come up with a mechanical explanation for this? Hope to hear if someone else has dealt with this.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I'm a loser, baby.

Garage
Clutch cable?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sancho

check the clutch cable make sure it is in good condition, then try adjusting the clutch cable properly.
good luck
Old 12-04-2009, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Adjusting the cable correctly is always step one, but I replaced my clutch recently and what had failed was the large diaphragm spring in the pressure plate. It had cracked in several places. This made clutch release uneven. I also had difficulty shifting into reverse (grind) and 1st and 2nd (hard). It works better than ever after the repair.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys (man this is a busy forum!) I am almost certain that the cable is good however I did suspect a broken finger on the pressure plate. It's just strange that there is no chatter during engagement and that it only does this when its cold out. Having never actually seen the assembly I was thinking the pressure plate is not moving all the way back on the spline. Guess its time to pull the trans (bummer) thanks again
Ian

Old 12-05-2009, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: