Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Passenger door mirror installation - Re-enforcement required? Any tips?

Hi,

I am planning to install a passenger side door mirror on my 77 SC. I took the drivers side one off to check the fittings, and I notice that the fitting is slightly different. Also I noticed that the mirror mounting area of the drivers door seems re-enforced. After a search on the forum it would appear that my drivers side original mirror is a 'type A' and I have bought a 'type B' for the passenger side. The 'type A' has a little clamp that tightens up against the hole in the body by tightening the allen bolt, whereas the 'type B' has a self tapping allen bolt that would appear to screw directly into the bodywork.

So my questions are:

1. Do I need to add some re-enforcement to the door panel to install the mirror securely and use the self tapping allen bolt? Or do all door always have re-enforcement in the mirror area and I'm asking a silly question because the clever guys in Porsche took care of every eventuality.

2. Anyone out there have any tips for the installation? You know yourselves, once you start drilling holes in your bodywork .......

Thanks

Old 12-17-2009, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

the right side does need the reinforcement plate pop riveted on. the right mirror also mounts farther back on the door than the left one. best to make a paper template off another door for the pattern of the holes. the edge of the rubber base gasket butts up to the metal trim strip on the top of the door if it's done properly.

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071
Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank for the info.

How on earth to you get at the mirror area of the door from the inside? I haven't taken the interior panel off in a long time, but I don't remember any decent access to the top portion of the door.

Also, thanks for the tip on the position being further back for the passenger side mirror - I would have put it on as a mirror image of the drivers door (excuse the pun). It did cross my mind that the window pillar would obscure the view a bit but I though that this was just another quirk of the design.

I should have mentioned that mine is an original right hand drive as I live in Ireland. Also I believe it to be the first ever right hand drive SC. And now I am going to make the very first change to the factory spec .... apart from the momo steering wheel (but the original is stored safe).
Old 12-17-2009, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I know there is a template for the LHD cars used for the install of a passenger side mirror,If you have power mirror's you will certainly what to measure 3 times drill once...Frank
Old 12-17-2009, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

both driver and passenger side flag and aero mirrors mount the same way: with the J hook that the threaded bolt passes thru.

you mention that your passenger mirror base has a screw that vertically passes into the body? then you have the incorrect base ! what you have there is the mirror base from a 944 or 928- this will never work correctly on a 911

you need to remove the door interior panel on the passenger side, then have the fun of placing the reinforcement plate in place. we drill the needed holes in the door shell, then fish thru a piece string to bring the plate up to position, pop rivet the plate in place, cut the string and install the mirror.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Oh no ..... why is it that the apparently simple things are the hardest!

I have just spent quite a few Euro on the mirror then more to have it resprayed. I know it is wishful thinking, but maybe it is just missing the 'J hook'. I'll post some pics for opinion in the next couple of days.

One difference I did notice is, that on my original mirror I have to move the mirror head to get at the allen bold. On my 'new' mirror, the allen bolt is exposed just behind the swivel base of the mirror head. Any of you come across this before?
Old 12-18-2009, 01:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

ok- i think its best that you post pics of the parts , just so we are fully clear on what you have. please send a pic of the door ,with the mirror mount holes exposed too.
I don't want to give you incorrect advice !

thank you
dave
Old 12-18-2009, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Smile Template

Hello

"I know there is a template for the LHD cars used for the install of a passenger side mirror,If you have power mirror's you will certainly what to measure 3 times drill once...Frank"
Does anyone have this template? Preferably in a PDF that can be down loaded and printed.
Thank You in advance
Barry
Old 01-27-2010, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Smile

anybody?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

subscribed
PCA - 37yrs / Ex-RGruppe #197
'04 GT3 (Halloween/SF Giants car)
'11 E550 Coupe (Königstiger)
Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Before you begin drilling holes in the right door panel please note that the location of the mirrors are not symmetrical. You cannot take the left door measurements and transfer them to the right as that will offset the mirror (can't remember which way) and it will be useless from the driver's seat.

I learned this when a friend had a body shop mount a right door mirror and they took the measurements from the left door. The offset is not readily noticeable until you become aware of it.

I believe there is a template in one of the factory workshop manuals to set the measurements. I added one to a 930 with no problem but no longer have access to the manuals.

The same thing applies to mounting factory driving lights on a SC body. Don't ask how I learned that!

Jim
1980 930
1995 993

Old 02-04-2010, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
mirror