Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered?

Garage
Yup, snipped the tins myself. I'm hoping that it'll be a cool running, leak free motor - used Henry Schmidt's sealing kit/process.
R Gruppe #787
70T Ex-Waterlogged Rust Bucket
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/519605-waterlogged-rust-bucket.html
Old 05-15-2018, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #261 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
You know Brian, if your objective is to make the rest of us look bad, consider it Mission Accomplished. You can stop any time now. or not.
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 05-15-2018, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #262 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Yup, snipped the tins myself. I'm hoping that it'll be a cool running, leak free motor - used Henry Schmidt's sealing kit/process.
Great. Just did mine on our '71T. Installing new drain tubes this week and other components once the tins are blasted/painted.

Hooligans. Do you post here when a drive is planned? Any drives planned for the Olympic Peninsula this year?

Great thread and enjoy seeing your nicely done work, actually, masterful work!

DJ.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #263 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Thanks DJ.
Haven't made any runs recently to the Olympic Peninsula, but ya never know.
You can check the PNW forum here for announcements re. major events/drives.
Hope we meet up some day.

In the meantime, motor is done!
Ready for a trip to the "X-Factory" for a test run.

R Gruppe #787
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/519605-waterlogged-rust-bucket.html
Old 05-16-2018, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #264 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
I just read through this thread again. The work and result is simply amazing.

And now the motor..... This is Porsche jewelry.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #265 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Thanks for the encouragement Gordon!
R Gruppe #787
Old 05-17-2018, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #266 (permalink)

I have a couple of questions...

1.) I'm curious about your method of taking everything apart and keeping it organized?
2.) Did you have any background with welding/metal fabricating before this project?
3.) What would you have done differently now that you can look back at it?
4.) For someone who is looking to do the same... any advice?

5.) And finally... I'm looking at trying to document my project with pictures and updating my post... what method of documenting worked best for you? (ex... did you stop in the middle of a task to upload your pics to here and type it up, then go back? did you take a bunch of pics throughout the day then post it all up at the end of day/week? etc...)
Old 05-17-2018, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #267 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrash View Post
i just read through this thread again. The work and result is simply amazing.

And now the motor..... This is porsche jewelry.
+1!
Old 05-17-2018, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #268 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
You know Brian, if your objective is to make the rest of us look bad, consider it Mission Accomplished. You can stop any time now. or not.
Rick,
Here's how I see it - if a person has just "one" Porsche (myself included) then the related projects and maintenance work is not so daunting. Whereas, a person with a stable of Porsches (Ahem!)... I don't see how they do it? Now, that truly is a feat!
You're a rock star.
R Gruppe #787
Old 05-22-2018, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #269 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakrat View Post
I have a couple of questions...

1.) I'm curious about your method of taking everything apart and keeping it organized?
2.) Did you have any background with welding/metal fabricating before this project?
3.) What would you have done differently now that you can look back at it?
4.) For someone who is looking to do the same... any advice?

5.) And finally... I'm looking at trying to document my project with pictures and updating my post... what method of documenting worked best for you? (ex... did you stop in the middle of a task to upload your pics to here and type it up, then go back? did you take a bunch of pics throughout the day then post it all up at the end of day/week? etc...)

Trackrat -

1) "Everything" gets bagged and labeled - everything! Then the bags go into a box that lists on the outside, which bags are in the box. This way, you can take a quick glance at the boxes and find the part(s) you are after. I can't tell you how many times I've opened the same boxes, over and over, in search of a particular part or fastener. Mark the boxes!
2) Youtube is my friend. Kinda handy in general, but never mig welded or painted a car before.
3) I did what I could under the circumstances. Set-up a canvas carport in my yard to do most of the heavy work. I particularly didn't enjoy patching and fixing the tarps after every wind storm!!! Things might have progressed a little faster if I had a large heated garage, but all in all, no regrets.
4) Think about what your goal is and stick to it. If you're going all-out, don't cut corners on anything. If you don't want to or think you can go all-out, set smaller goals and get them done. You can always do more later. For example, if the car just needs a little work to get it road-worthy, start there and enjoy it for awhile. It was really hard not being able to drive my car for 6-years.
5) It's really easy to be "in the mode" when you're getting things done and want to finish. Have a dedicated camera in the garage, or carport in my case, at all times and remember to take pictures. I took pictures and updated my thread as progress was made. Sometimes, it could be months between posts/updates - life happens. Take pictures before you dismantle, as well as during the resto. They can be great resources to remind you of how things were before you took it all apart, as well as documentation of all your work.

There's my pep-talk. Now, get out there and get 'er done!

P.S. My good friend John Walker once gave me some advice when things were dragging on and my motivation started to wane - he said, "if you can devote just "one hour" a day to working on the car, you will see progress and things will eventually get done." I would recommend spending more on the weekends, but one-hour per day is the mantra. You can do this!
R Gruppe #787
Old 05-22-2018, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #270 (permalink)

Garage
Great work Brian,

Where did you source those nice red plugs for your intake and exhaust ports?

Thanks,
Rutager

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 05-22-2018, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #271 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Great work Brian,

Where did you source those nice red plugs for your intake and exhaust ports?

Thanks,
Rutager
McMaster-Carr has them. It's a little tough getting the right size though as they have them in increments of 1/16" so double check your holes before ordering. And they usually come in packages of 100! Took me several tries to get the right sizes.

If what I have is the size you need, I'd be happy to send you some if you pay for postage. I sure don't need a hunred of'em.
Cheers!
R Gruppe #787
Old 05-22-2018, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #272 (permalink)

Banned for Life

Garage
Brian, exceedingly kind words from a man with more skill I than I can dream of. For me vision and skill are what counts and you have both in spades. It has been a pleasure to follow Your amazing thread. It’s an honor to call you a Porsche brother and am looking forward to seeing your master work.

Now get back to work.
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 05-22-2018, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #273 (permalink)

Brian's 911 turned out right....and this engine is turning out right too! Brian's work on these is excellent and shows what can be accomplished by the DIY person...with mad skills and YouTube access..

regards,
al
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 05-23-2018, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #274 (permalink)

Have missed reading new updates in this great thread! Thank you.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #275 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
McMaster-Carr has them. It's a little tough getting the right size though as they have them in increments of 1/16" so double check your holes before ordering. And they usually come in packages of 100! Took me several tries to get the right sizes.

If what I have is the size you need, I'd be happy to send you some if you pay for postage. I sure don't need a hunred of'em.
Cheers!
Sorry, I asked the question and didnít read your follow up until now. Looks like my exhaust are 1.52Ē and intake 1.37. Let me know if you have any.

Thanks

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 07-01-2018, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #276 (permalink)

Garage
Just saw this. Read the whole thing. What a fantastic build. Beautiful.

'69 911E
one family
385,000 miles
Old 07-02-2018, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #277 (permalink)
web geek

Garage
Send a message via AIM to emptyo Send a message via Yahoo to emptyo
I had missed this as well. Just blew most of my morning going through the thread. Great stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2018, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #278 (permalink)

it's on fire!!!

Brian stopped by this week to test out his newly rebuilt 914-6 motor. A very sanitary job on the rebuild. ( Note that the carbs were rebuilt by local Zenith expert John Ploeger).
All in all a very nice job was done on this rebuild and the attention to detail was apparent........ After very basic carb balancing /timing/tuning. It is running very well and strong.

I spend most of my time playing with EFI....but sometimes it is cool to get back to the basics. It was a day well spent with good friends...... and here is a video of the results.

Nice work Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmUq2_vUrb4&feature=youtu.be
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 07-05-2018, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #279 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Much thanks to Al & John!

Available for purchase to anyone seeking a nice 914-6 2-liter motor.
R Gruppe #787
Old 07-06-2018, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #280 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: