Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Vapor blasting will do that.....
Is vapor blasting just another name for dry ice blasting? If so.. then I understand.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #321 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage

Sharp edges of the dome smoothed-out. Some say this results in additional horses...?

Beautiful work by Mark Motshagen - a hard man to track down.

... and test fitting the custom exhaust by Hoover.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #322 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
What headers are you using? Can't wait to hear what that exhaust sounds like.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 08-24-2019, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #323 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
WOW, love that muffler
Old 08-24-2019, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #324 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Heard them on several NorCal cars at the Treffen this year and had to get one for myself. They do sound incredible!

1 5/8" headers

that match the exhaust ports

Old 08-24-2019, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #325 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Dressing up the top-end. Trying to get one of these fancy things to fit...

The issue with these is that they don't have the ducting to direct air to the oil cooler. We all know how important it is to keep the temps down as much as possible, so I was able to locate one of these - all the way over in Montreal Canada! Started ugly, but with a little massaging, she's good as new.

Last edited by blee; 09-09-2019 at 03:07 PM..
Old 08-24-2019, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #326 (permalink)

Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Very nice work Brian. Your engine is so gorgeous I would like to borrow it for an hour in private. Ok, maybe only 5 minutes.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #327 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
Wow, beautiful as always with your work. Can't wait to hear that exhaust.
'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 08-25-2019, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #328 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Done fiddling with the shroud and the motor is pretty much done. Now I have to make the tough decision of choosing an ECU and figuring out the wiring harness - Motronic, AEM, blah, blah, blah...so many choices. Before the new motor goes in though, I will need to rip out the old, single steel fuel line through the tunnel and replace it with twin Polyamide lines, new high-pressure pump, etc. More to come.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #329 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post

Sharp edges of the dome smoothed-out. Some say this results in additional horses...?

Beautiful work by Mark Motshagen - a hard man to track down.

... and test fitting the custom exhaust by Hoover.

Ah yes, the Turbohoses Barry White! Hoover dyno tuned my EFI-equipped car when it was out west for Rennsport last year and I wasn't happy with my muffler performance at the time so I tasked him with developing something custom. This lead him down the slippery slope and the Barry White was born...looks great, flows very well, and sounds even better.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #330 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
He told me that story about Barry White - epic! Can't wait to hear it sing.
What was your HP increase on the dyno?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #331 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
He told me that story about Barry White - epic! Can't wait to hear it sing.
What was your HP increase on the dyno?
I have an ‘83 Euro SC with an internally stock motor, but Triumph ITBs..200.4 HP at the wheels which matched a run with no muffler, just open headers. The best I managed was 185 HP at the wheels with an M&K 2/2 GT3. He’s been getting the same if not better results on a variety of motors from stock to wild. It’s a unique tone, you’ll dig it.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #332 (permalink)
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Hi Brian

I recently had the pleasure of meeting the fellow to whom you sold your ducktail.
I really like the look of it on his '84. He recommended I have a look at your thread
as I am presently engaged in my own attempt at a restoration
project - pretty mild compared to your project.

The work you have done is very impressive & your detailed account of
your progress makes for an interesting & informative read.
You have illustrated how one with the necessary skills, patience,
& dedication, can achieve the outstanding results you have attained.

Thanks for taking the time to chronicle your efforts on the "Waterlogged Rust Bucket"
"Ya done good"

Cheers
JB

Also looking forward to having a beer or two with our fellow enthusiast.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #333 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Blee, did you use fiberglass for the heat block off plates? If so how well did they fit?

Thanks

David
Old 10-01-2019, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #334 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Cheers back to you JB! You're in good company, even the factory agrees with your aesthetic approval of the duck tail on later cars - "R." Fortunately, there are many vendors for you to choose from so they are readily available, go for it - it'll look cool on a 997.
I too look forward to a day when we can meet up with our brothers from across the border. Someone needs to bring back the PNW/Canada Treffen.

David - I did go with the FG block offs. As you would expect, they don't fit as well as the steel ones and require some fiddling to get them to work. There are some bigger gaps than I would like, but oh well. It's that much lighter, right?! I justify it by telling myself that it'll allow for heat to escape.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #335 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Sourcing the right sized ignition coils was fun, but finally found some that are the right length and fit snugly in the valve cover openings. Turns out '04 Audi Quattro 2.7L coils will work on our motors if you use 5/8" plugs. Different manufacturers out there but decided to go with Denso units with NGK plugs. Added the RSR brackets for backup so they are not going anywhere.

At this stage, the motor seems to have an insatiable appetite and is swallowing parts by the dozen!
Next up is the daunting task of creating a wire loom to connect all the new electronics.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #336 (permalink)
Registered

That's a great looking Engine!! Can't wait to see it when completed.
1967 911 Sold but Greatly Missed!!
Old 10-14-2019, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #337 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
What plugs did you use?

IG: @doktor_b
Old 10-15-2019, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #338 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Chose standard NGK R's - BKR7ES-11. (5/8" vs. 13/16")
I realize there are lots of discussions about gaps being smaller for higher HP motors & wider for bigger spark, etc., and the fancy Platinum, Iridium, kryptonite, mumbo-jumbo...

These plugs are the same in every aspect as BCPR7ES - Nickel plated copper, ribbed, warranty, heat range, price, and size, except the gap - 9mm vs. 1.1mm on the -11. Why NGK didn't use a consistent part no. like BKR7ES-9 for the 9mm gap? Go figure.

Last edited by blee; 10-21-2019 at 06:51 AM..
Old 10-15-2019, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #339 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Chose standard NGK R's - BKR7ES-11. (5/8" vs. 13/16")
I realize there are lots of discussions about gaps being smaller for higher HP motors & wider for bigger spark, etc., and the fancy Platinum, Iridium, kryptonite, mumbo-jumbo...

Just as an FYI, these plugs are the same in every aspect, Nickel plated copper, ribbed, warranty, heat range, price, and size, except the gap - 9mm vs. 1.1mm on the -11. Why NGK didn't use a consistent part no. like BKR7ES-9 for the 9mm gap? Go figure.
Awesome. Thank you!

IG: @doktor_b
Old 10-21-2019, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #340 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: