Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
I think you're on the right track but don't take my word for it.
Someone should chime in but I've always thought it better to replace large complex areas as a whole rather than bits and pieces.

The cut line looks good and would be OK but can you go a bit further and separate it at the spot welds?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Thought about doing that but being that this donor shelf is out of an '87, the location & size of the welded overlap area does not match. This is another reason why I'm leaning toward replacing the whole shelf - the stamping is slightly different. I'm afraid if I replace sections, the raised ridges will not line up.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
Is there more fiberglass besides the parcel shelf?
'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Bottom half of the headlight buckets, that I know of. Don't know what I'll find under the rockers.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
(Former 1968Cayman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Donor shelf is out of an '87, the location & size of the welded overlap area does not match. This is another reason why I'm leaning toward replacing the whole shelf - the stamping is slightly different. I'm afraid if I replace sections, the raised ridges will not line up.
Post some pics of the issue if you can. So long as the body lines are correct and the flanges mate enough to achieve solidarity the width shouldn't matter. Many of the NOS and repops have incorrect flanges as compared to the factory pieces (most are laughably larger, but some are shorter). I've always operated under the assumption that it is best to replace larger areas when faced with such a choice; that being said, I'm also guilty of welding in a 1" patch (only once, I swear).

Please hurry towards the rockers, I'm in need of some entertainment to keep me occupied this winter . . .

Last edited by 1968Cayman; 01-12-2010 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: problems wit my engleesh
Old 01-11-2010, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MichiganMat
There must have been a discount sale on fiberglass a few years back because we've got a 912 tub with the same issues. Im pretty sure the entire front pan of our car is held together with the stuff, its obscene.

Keep up the good work.
'99 LR Disco 2
Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Bland

Garage
Hey - maybe Colin Chapman tried to Lotusize it!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered Loser

one could argue perserving the maximum amount of original metal is the way to go.
also replacing entire panels is not always the easy thing. with unibody construction.
patching is fine as long as no rust remains.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I have more fiberglass than metal in a bunch of places on my car as well. fender joining panels were mostly fiberglass. must have been a standard repair procedure at some point.
1982 SC D-Stock #372
NASA GTS2
1971T restoration in progress, read about it here:
http://911restorationmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-11-2010, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Didn't get to probe the rockers yet - did attempt to loosen the front A-arm cover bolts and the whole thing just tore off. I saw that one coming. Still drilling out the donor parcel and contemplating whether to replace the whole thing or not. Progress has slowed dramatically due to a little setback - shoulder surgery this week It's amazing how traumatic surgery is to one's body, even though it may just be a simple procedure. Check out the new shoulder harness and remote reservoir

Old 01-16-2010, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Looks like a great start to a homemade Cool-Suit!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
Can you bleed brakes with that thing?
'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 01-16-2010, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
sorry to hear about the shoulder - yes, any surgery is heavy-duty -- the body is not designed to be opened up for maintenance...
Old 01-16-2010, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
My mind keeps telling me I need to work on the car, but my body is not cooperating. I tried rubbing some dirt on the shoulder but it didn't help any. Not much progress obviously...
I did manage to finally get the donor parcel "comepletely" off. It was a pain in the arse even with it being in a manageable section that I could flip and turn...I'm not sure if I'll be able to replicate the removal of the parcel on the car this clean. Replacing sections (left and right corners) only is quickly becoming more attractive.
I wonder if anyone would be interested in using this as a template to create replacements? (Restoration Design?)

Old 01-24-2010, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
(Former 1968Cayman)

Sorry. Could have shown you this earlier, but I'm not sure of the progress:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-discussion-forum/466913-swb-parcel-shelf-seat-back.html
Old 01-25-2010, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Gimpy shoulder is healing so no more excuses...
Coming out of my Oxycodine-induced state, I decided to replace just the corners of the parcel shelf in an attempt to retain more of the original sheetmetal and thinking it would be faster to remove less - what was I thinking? After cutting out 10-inches pieces on both sides, I flipped again and decided it would probably be best to stick with the original plan and just replace the whole darn thing.

What was left wasn't looking good...

Aw-heck, cut some more!

I just hope everything lines up correctly - after I'm done welding.

Last edited by blee; 02-15-2010 at 07:44 PM..
Old 02-15-2010, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
Glad you're on the mend. It's looks like you're making good progress.
'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Addressed the passenger-side lower rear window area this weekend. Rust in the rain chanel and underside - thought about welding in patches but the same issues of trying to "jigsaw puzzle" the darn thing made me decide to lop-off a bigger section. Wasn't sure if I should cut the rain chanel, but what the hell...

Donor piece massaged in...

...and viola! My first weld. Hot damn.

Not as easy as braze welding, but I'm hoping to improve. At this rate this things not going to be ready until 2012. Will I get a chance to drive it before the world ends?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Are you using Argon with the Mig Brian?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
I am, but the regulator has been giving me troubles, it seems intermittent? Is it that ugly?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: