Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
WOW! I don't know if I'd have time, money or ambition for a project like that!
My car had no rust and still broke me with upgrades and repairs!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

I was right there with you too.....my rear parcel shelf was nothing but fiberglass bondo. Such a mess but now replaced and all is right in my porsches world!
2001 Toyota 4Runner
Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
I am, but the regulator has been giving me troubles, it seems intermittent? Is it that ugly?
No, it just had the look I get when the Argon isn't flowing or i'm too far away with the tip. It's fine, be proud of what you are accomplishing!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Tip closer and check the Argon flow - got it! Thanks Gary. The metal is so thin, I'm afraid I'll blow holes if I get too close or stay on the trigger. I need to practice on some scrap pieces before moving forward.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Subscribed, I have a 1970T with similar issues, they are a labor of love.
1967 911 gone but missed
Old 03-10-2010, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered speed offender

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Tip closer and check the Argon flow - got it! Thanks Gary. The metal is so thin, I'm afraid I'll blow holes if I get too close or stay on the trigger. I need to practice on some scrap pieces before moving forward.
Just an offer for advice. If you don't already have one. Go to Harbor Freight and get an instant-on welding helmet. It will be the best $40 you'll ever spend... I promise. Then you can be on and off the trigger as much as you need and believe me, you don't want to be on it continuously, you will simply blow holes through the metal. At the same time, you want to get good penetration, (still talking about welding here) which means lots of heat. So enough heat to ALMOST blow a hole, then stop for a second or two, trigger again, repeat as necessary.
It looks like you got your hands full, good luck!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Registered?

Garage
So much for the first weld - it was rubbish I tell you! Found a bunch of pinholes after applying primer. Had to go back and re-weld until all the pinholes were gone. Turning the power down on the welder helped too.

It doesn't look like I'll have to cut the rain chanel on the driver's side?

And, as expected, found more rust and fiberglass in both rockers. Doesn't look too bad though, I might be able to get away with patches instead of replacing the whole thing. (it seems for now anyway) The journey continues...

Last edited by blee; 03-16-2010 at 08:29 PM..
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MichiganMat
Really curious about how you're gonna solve that issue with the rockers. Our '67 has the same issue right now
'99 LR Disco 2
Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
300hp 1800lbs is the goal

Garage
The inners look nasty too. Spotweld cutter and new outers/inners..... I have sets waiting to go into my car too. My car looked pretty good.... till I ground like 1/2" of bondo off the rockers, and could see the inners

The science was settled: Earth was flat.
Galileo : Flat Earth denier.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Careful with cutting too much at once. I know it seems like an oxymoron, but the rsuty panels still lend some rigidity to the body. Cut too much out and you'll wish you'd welded in a body jig. Take it slow, replace one piece at a time, ensuring one repair doesn't get in the way of the next.

Good work man...you sure do take on a project with gusto. Anyhow, the local guys are here to help, if needed. Just ask.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 03-17-2010, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
...Anyhow, the local guys are here to help, if needed. Just ask.
Hey Brian, I got a new 13 amp angle grinder for my birthday last week. I was going to break it in on the Land Rover frame, but...
'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 03-17-2010, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest

I was thinking that your Porsche was either parked next to your Pacific Ocean for awhile, or it's from the Salt Capital, Detroit!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
Hey , Brian
It looks like you've got your work cut out for you for the next year or so !
I've just finished mine , Your Duck Tail turned out great , I'll post some pics this weekend !
Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Thanks for the support and kind words gentlemen. I was just about to throw in the towel...just kidding
While we're here, does anyone know what this is:

Is it factory or another patch attempt? I've seen rectangular stampings in this location on other cars but never saw it in "bare metal" form. It's very soft metal, I can move it around - aluminum? What's the purpose? Aren't there issues with dissimilar metals being in contact for long periods? I know it was a definite "no no" with Boeing aircrafts developing corrosion.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Looks like lead. Probably an unfamiliar sight on a Boeing, but a great factory filler on cars!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
(Former 1968Cayman)

It's lead; you'll find it on joints all over the car. I heat it up and coax it into a glass jar. If you have plans on attacking the a pillars at the cowl then you'll really get some experience with it.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MichiganMat
What is a good alternative for its use then? I abhor body filler. Leave the gaps untouched?
'99 LR Disco 2
Old 03-18-2010, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Carrera View Post
Hey , Brian
It looks like you've got your work cut out for you for the next year or so !
I've just finished mine , Your Duck Tail turned out great , I'll post some pics this weekend !
Hey Brian, heres the pics of your duck tail that you sold me.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Mich Matt- Replacewith more lead. It's calming to work with and gives great results. Just watch out for signs of mercurial madness. (kidding, do the normal H&S recommendations for lead HAZMAT)

There is a good synthetic lead mimic aroud that is applied the same way- blowtorch etc. Can't remember the name but I've use it with reasonably good results. The real deal is much better though, just be careful. Now, where is my hat? lol.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
I've seen "plumbers solder" used for the same thing.

You know the big thick bars of solder plumbers use for sealing gutters.

If you know someone who works/worked in the telecommunications field they may be able to put you in touch with a linesman.
They make gas tight seals in cable with solder... These guys are good.

Anyway I watched one of these techs re-lead a friends ancient Austin Healy.
Just plumbers solder, a gas torch and a swipe of leather. He made it look easy.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: