Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Porsche Nut

Garage
Take it slow and steady. You are doing a great job. Practice welding and work on the settings for your particular welder with regards to welding sheet metal. Once you dial it in, you will notice a big improvement. Be sure to mark the settings on your Mig so you do not have to do it again if they get bumped.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
The nasty thing about welding rusted/ground off sheet metal is sometimes it's just so thin you burn through (even on initial spark) on even the lowest setting of some MIG's. Never tried it but I suppose using a VERY thin wire and a low setting might work..
Old 05-26-2010, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR View Post
The nasty thing about welding rusted/ground off sheet metal is sometimes it's just so thin you burn through (even on initial spark) on even the lowest setting of some MIG's. Never tried it but I suppose using a VERY thin wire and a low setting might work..
You got that right brother. Like welding friggin tin-foil, even at the lowest settings! Then there's the grinding - it's gotta be at least two-hundred times harder than steel.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
yep, im slow in the head

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to carslutt
neat project
Old 05-27-2010, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
air+fuel+spark

Garage
Hey Brian!

We need more progress pix! It has been what, 3 months since the last round? This is Bryan from last week. I was picking up my permits for the shop

Check out the garage progress so far (link in my signature).

Let's keep in touch. I want to see what else you have done to date. No doubt you are getting good at welding? If no one has mentioned this, on the thin stuff you might try a sheet of brass as a backer to help prevent blow outs. Steel doesn't like to stick to the brass so you can congregate your puddle and keep it in place for a sec'. I have yet to try it after reading it somewhere but I have been wanting to see how well it works after personally dealing with 'Tin Foil Blowout' syndrome on other cars I have welded on.

B
R Gruppe #653
Old 08-20-2010, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
(Former 1968Cayman)

If you plan on replacing lead with lead, make sure you wash it down right before applying paint to it. Just had a talk about this with a guy who does high end jobs in Atlanta.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Registered?

Garage
Hey Bryan -
Your new garage is going to be a killer man-cave! I take it the foundation is probably poured by now? And by the way, thanks alot for resurrecting this post man! I'm almost embarrassed how little I've done this summer.

The welding is improving, mainly because I think I finally have the settings on the welder dialed-in. Here are some updates:

This part has been a royal pain in the ass:

After days of welding and grinding, welding and grinding, I finally had all the pinholes covered:
Old 08-22-2010, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Then I decided it wasn't good enough, so I started over with a different approach...

Definitely like this route much better. Hopefully, I'll have it buttoned-down in a couple of "months" and then move over to address the rockers :
Old 08-22-2010, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
It is definitely easier to remove more of the rusty metal and go back to clean areas and straight lines than it is to try to fill in little spots. Looks great.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

What size wire are you using?? I like .023" tends to have less burn through and wets out better on the gauge of metal we are working with. You may have to buy an additional drive roller or flip one around to use the flat insted of the groove on one side depending on the make of the machine.
And as one of the guys in the shop says trying to teach new guys, " if it dont sound like frying bacon on high, it aint right"!!

Keep up the good work

Regards
Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
air+fuel+spark

Garage
Brian,

The pix look great! We will have to swap welding notes sometime...errr...you can tell me how to do it right..heh.

I am certainly close by so if you need a hand or get stuck without a certain tool or something give me a shout!

I want to see this project of yours once I get my current project under control =)
R Gruppe #653
Old 08-23-2010, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
air+fuel+spark

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
What size wire are you using?? I like .023" tends to have less burn through and wets out better on the gauge of metal we are working with. You may have to buy an additional drive roller or flip one around to use the flat insted of the groove on one side depending on the make of the machine.
And as one of the guys in the shop says trying to teach new guys, " if it dont sound like frying bacon on high, it aint right"!!

Keep up the good work

Regards
I should paint, "..if it don't sound like frying bacon on high, it aint right!!" on our welder here at work...

Great quote and good advice! Thanks
R Gruppe #653
Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post

Keep up the good work

Regards
I've heard that before. I'm using .030" - is there really that much difference between the two? If so, I'll go pick up a roll of .023 tonight! Fryin up the bacon.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Yeah, smaller wire on sheet metal. You have chosen some tough areas to weld. When you can't get the gas nozzle down within a 1/2" of the work, your stick out may be too much. For the good bacon sound, get in close with the torch.

Speaking of torches, you should have a small oxy/fuel set up. When you get done grinding and find those pin holes, braze them. You could lead them too, but it takes a lot of cleaning and tinning before you can flow the solder. Brazing need to be on clean metal too, but a stainless steel wire brush will get it pretty much there.

A spot sand blaster is very handy as well for this kind of work.

You're doing an excellent job. Look for DarrylD 's posts and his web site for some really good tips on this work. He did a marvelous 912 project and documented it all.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Heeeeere's Darryl: DarrylsGarage.com - Car Restorations by Darryl Deppe
Old 08-23-2010, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
Done yet?

I was reading about the guy who cleaned out his garage so he could work on his Carrera backdate project and thought, hey, we haven't heard from Brian in a long time!
'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Not even close dude. Moved on to the suspension pan. Guess what I discovered? Yup, more RUST. Lateral tank supports are history and there is rust behind it on the inner fenderwells too. Shweet.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
air+fuel+spark

Garage
Brian?! I see you are buying parts from the Pelican classifieds! You must be making some progress. What are the latest updates?

I finally have a car and as soon as the shop sheet rock is mudded/sanded and painted I am moving in!
R Gruppe #653
Old 04-21-2011, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Yup, trying to gather parts whenever I find them. Sounds like you'll be jumping on the "slippery slope" soon too. A 69T huh? Congrats. What's the story? I'll have to come over & take a look.
Funny that you should post on this thread now - I was just thinking how long I haven't posted...feeling a little guilty. I'll have to get back into it.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Finally, some updates...
Skipped the rockers and stayed on the front-end:

Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: