Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
How do I remove the Carrera oil cooler?

Trying to remove my stock carrera cooler and lines (87 911 3.2)

I can't figure out how to get the cooler unbolted from the car.

I have three bolts available to me, and they all just spin as I try and remove the nuts. I can't see an easy way to get in behind the cooler and get a wrench on the other side of the bolts.

I've soaked all three in PB blaster. The Bottom two unthreaded almost all the way off, and I might be able to get those off yet, but the top one is definitely spinning the entire bolt.

1)How is it supposed to come out, I assume it lifts up and pivots out through the wheel well
2) Can I get to the backside of the top bolt from behind the headlight?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 03-02-2010, 07:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
from the pics in this thread (Thanks Todd!)
Carrera Oil Cooler Install Question

It looks as if I'm screwed.

No access to the back of the top bolt from through the haedlight.
But as least the cooler looks to be able to be pivoted up and off the bottom mounts.

I see using a dremmel tool in my very near future to split the top nut.

Richard
Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to village idiot
Pull off the front bumper?
78 911SC SC to 73RS imposter SCWDP crew #50 and 51
1969 Camaro "The new project"
Old 03-02-2010, 10:15 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Here´s a tech article on the installation. It might give you some clues to the removal

Pelican Technical Article: 911 Carrera Oil Cooler Upgrade
Old 03-03-2010, 12:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
1980 911 SC

Garage
Cut thru the rubber mounts with a dremel. The two on the bottom should be easy to reach. Once the bottom of the cooler can be moved out a bit you should be able to get the top one.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Carrera Cooler Removal..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHawk View Post

I have three bolts available to me, and they all just spin as I try and remove the nuts. I can't see an easy way to get in behind the cooler and get a wrench on the other side of the bolts.

I've soaked all three in PB blaster. The Bottom two unthreaded almost all the way off, and I might be able to get those off yet, but the top one is definitely spinning the entire bolt.

1)How is it supposed to come out, I assume it lifts up and pivots out through the wheel well

Thanks,
Richard

Richard,

I just removed and installed a Carrera cooler like yours not too long ago. Follow these simple procedures:

1). Disconnect the two (2) short flexible oil lines to the cooler. Watch for oil drip.
2). Remove the the top 6 mm bolt and the two (2) bottom ones. If you don't have a lift, you need to jack up the car high enough to be able to look through from below.
3). The access is tight specially the one on top. The horn might have to be removed for better access.
4). Use a mirror or lie on your back to get a better view where the fastenrs are. The job is not difficult but tedious.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Last edited by boyt911sc; 03-03-2010 at 05:50 AM..
Old 03-03-2010, 05:29 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

A small impact wrench would probably spin off those nuts, too.
OR find a way to grab the rubber isolators so they don't spin. You should be able to grab them from below.

Cutting them off is another option as proposed by sailchef.

Doug
Old 03-03-2010, 05:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailchef View Post
Cut thru the rubber mounts with a dremel. The two on the bottom should be easy to reach. Once the bottom of the cooler can be moved out a bit you should be able to get the top one.
I agree, I would use a sawzall to cut the rubber mounts.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Use your handy Dremel with a disc, and cut a slot in the end of the bolt large enough to fit a fairly stout screwdriver tip. Then hold the bolt with the screwdriver, and turn the nut. Should work, give it a try.
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa
Old 03-03-2010, 06:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I just had my cooler out as well.The rubber spacers are double threaded(thread into brackets).I made the mistake of cutting the nuts off(ruining the studs) when I believe I could have continued to unscrew the mount to the bracket so that the cooler would come out of car with the rubber studs and cooler still bolted up.

If I have to run into this again(nuts just spinning rubber studs).This is what I would do.remove top oil lines clamp that bolts to the inner fender.Remove both short flexible oil lines from copper pipes and cooler(undo cooler first then pipes so you can get a wrench in there(36mm and 30mm I believe),remove the top oil cooler mount(one in between the short lines)If it just spins,continue to unscrew the nut while slightly pulling on the cooler shield.Eventually the rubber stud will unscrew from the hidden bracket behind the shield and the stud will stay with the cooler shield.Now do the same for the lower two nuts this time put upward pressure on the cooler,going back and forth between nuts so the cooler slowly is released from the bracket.
Once you have the cooler out on the bench carefully score the nuts with a dremel almost down to the threads,take a small chisel and hit the nut in the score to weaken the nut,remove nuts.
One note on installing is have the lower two rubber studs attached to the cooler,but screw the top stud into the bracket behind the cooler first(not attached to the cooler),before install.this way you can drop the lower part of the cooler down and into the bracket then align the top stud through the top stud hole.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Quote:

Thanks,
Richard

Richard,

Just a curiosity question.

Why are you removing the oil cooler?

Thanks,

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 03-03-2010, 08:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I'm curious as well. If it is for sale I would be interested!
Thanks
06 Mustang GT
"Limping in the right direction is always faster than running the wrong way"
Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
Back you Vultures!!!

I'm taking the lines and cooler out to clean them, and to replace the 24 year old rubber hoses.

I'm getting really close to having a brand new shiny engine in my 911, and I don't want any of the engine pieces from the old blown up motor finding their way back into the oiling system

I WILL have extra hard lines for sale, as I bought a set of replacements (someone jacked the car up on one of my original ones and smooshed it flat. Funny thing is I think the smooshed line prevented any oil flow to the front cooler, and I'm hopeful prevented any large chunks of motor from getting to the cooler.

I can clean the hard lines and the thermostat easy enough, the cooler is the one that needs professional help.

Tomorrow AM, I'm hitting all three bolts with my 3/8 inch impact. the hard lines are loose Thanks for all the suggestions..

Richard
Old 03-03-2010, 07:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
First spray WD 40 on it.
Pull the top of it towards you and loosen the top nut at the same time.
There is some flex in that plastic.
Or you can drill a tiny hole close to the nut and stick a little spike or something in to the rubber mount to hold it when you loosen the nut.
As you see on the pictures there are only 3 rubber mounts holding the cooler.

Be prepared that you might have to change the cooler because of wear and tear. I had to on mine.

Last edited by MrShades; 03-04-2010 at 07:50 AM..
Old 03-04-2010, 07:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Quote:
Back you Vultures!!!

I'm taking the lines and cooler out to clean them, and to replace the 24 year old rubber hoses.

I'm getting really close to having a brand new shiny engine in my 911, and I don't want any of the engine pieces from the old blown up motor finding their way back into the oiling system

I WILL have extra hard lines for sale, as I bought a set of replacements (someone jacked the car up on one of my original ones and smooshed it flat. Funny thing is I think the smooshed line prevented any oil flow to the front cooler, and I'm hopeful prevented any large chunks of motor from getting to the cooler.

I can clean the hard lines and the thermostat easy enough, the cooler is the one that needs professional help.

Tomorrow AM, I'm hitting all three bolts with my 3/8 inch impact. the hard lines are loose Thanks for all the suggestions..

Richard
Richard,

I think that the oil pump/thermostat always sends oil to the cooler, and that the return path to the engine is opened when the thermostat opens.

You may want to check other posts.

Good luck,

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 03-04-2010, 08:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 911 Targa View Post
Richard,

I think that the oil pump/thermostat always sends oil to the cooler, and that the return path to the engine is opened when the thermostat opens.

You may want to check other posts.

Good luck,

Gerry
Yes I've read similar, and I've seen diagrams that conflict that knowledge. So I don't know exactly what to believe on the oil flow path.

BUT it's all irrelevant anyway. Everything is off and now clean. There was virtually no debris in the long hard lines or the front cooler. There was substantial debris in the Thermostat, and in the oil tank.

As for getting it out, The 3/8 impact made short work for the top mounted nut, and got one of the two bottom nuts. The other bottom nut sheared the rubber mount it was attached to, which still allowed me to remove the cooler.

Clean new parts going back in Monday. Engine going in late next week probably.

Richard
Old 03-05-2010, 08:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Old 03-05-2010, 08:51 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: