Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Porsche apocalypse – Ruf’s 911 V8

Wheels24 - Error

"It smelled like German heaven"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ySt9SeZl9s
Old 03-04-2010, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Like WOW... Gutsy move but there have been some reports that the next 911 may have a V8 in the back.... We'll see.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Looks like Ruf are using K&N style filters!

Old 03-04-2010, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
Blasphemy.
I do not like the idea of a V8 in a 911, more so because they probably make it work and drive like a proper sportscar...
Maybe it'll grow on me but for the moment it gets as much respect from me as a Porschev... NONE...

And (Alois) RUF of all people, you're one of my heroes man... You own No 37, restored it like only a true enthusiast would, and now you do this...
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD

Last edited by Geronimo '74; 03-04-2010 at 04:34 AM..
Old 03-04-2010, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

This is about keeping the company current and earning money. Ditto the goofy battery car(s) they did.

Probably aren't quite enough Pelicans hitting the lottery and flying to Germany asking for an original Yellow Bird these days.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettafan View Post
This is about keeping the company current and earning money. Ditto the goofy battery car(s) they did....
So true. At the end of the day they have to make money.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Doesn't the dynamic ability of the 911 as a true rear-engine car depend to a large extent on the low center-of-gravity of the flat-6 engine configuration? This Ruf V-8 is a very cool concept (Porsche has been rumored to have been looking at a V-8 911), but the weight of the motor should be much higher up in the tail than the H-6, even if it's lighter overall than the current 3.8. It won't matter much in straight line acceleration, but isn't there is going to have to be a lot of PASM/Torque-vectoring/etc. intervention to keep this thing from wagging its tail in abrupt transitions? This motor makes more sense to me in a 987 than a 997. I'd love to drive the RGT-8 back-to-back with a new 997 Turbo S and find out...
Old 03-04-2010, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Very bad mojo. Looks like something that would interest the Sultan of Brunai, not a true Porsche enthusiast. I think that Porsche's recent Hybrid 911 (using stored rotational energy) was much more interesting.

I think what makes the 911 so interesting is the fact that it is on a never ending path is improvement to an original formula. I did not ask for the "new Coca-cola" and I don't want a revolutionary 911!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Ruf designed and lighter than the Porsche powerplant... sounds awesome!

I wonder how and if Ruf will be distant from Porsche cars in the future. They've now built their own engine, their own car the CTR3 (mind you there is still quite a connection with Porsche) and they keep developping their own technology.

They are recognized as an automobile manufacturer in Germany - not a tuner. Perhaps we'll see a complete Ruf car line-up in the future - without a touch of Porsche?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeoRS View Post
. They've now built their own engine, ...
They did not.
The V8 comes out of the Cayenne, at most they optimised it, not built by RUF, not by a long shot.
32C Member #41

Last edited by Geronimo '74; 03-04-2010 at 06:46 AM..
Old 03-04-2010, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobone View Post
Very bad mojo. Looks like something that would interest the Sultan of Brunai, not a true Porsche enthusiast. I think that Porsche's recent Hybrid 911 (using stored rotational energy) was much more interesting.

I think what makes the 911 so interesting is the fact that it is on a never ending path is improvement to an original formula. I did not ask for the "new Coca-cola" and I don't want a revolutionary 911!
Sums it up for me.
George, Architect
Old 03-04-2010, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

What was that cute little race car that was mopping up everything running for an engine ?

What ?! , Blasphemy !!!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo '74 View Post
They did not.
The V8 comes out of the Cayenne, at most they optimised it, not built by RUF, not by a long shot.
Here is what I found:

From Ruf

RUF Automobile GmbH - News

Quote:
RUF is proud to present the brand new RGT-8 at the Geneva Motor Show, 04th -14th March 2010. This spectacular prototype vehicle is powered by a completely new RUF designed V8 engine with a 180° crankshaft “Flatcrank”. Four valves arranged spherically together with multipoint fuel injection ensure optimal mixture conditions while the dry-sump system supplies the necessary lubrication. The lightweight engine has a very compact design, has a capacity of 4.5 litres arranged as a V8 and delivers 404kW (550bhp) @ 8500rpm and complements with a maximum torque of 500Nm @ 5400rpm. At all stages of the design process, compactness and weight saving were of priority, the result of which is a total engine weight of less than 200kg. Please find more information in: task-menue - VEHICLES - RUF-MODELS

From Autoblog

Geneva 2010: Ruf RGT-8 is a V8-powered, 550-hp 911 — Autoblog

Quote:
Over the last decade, Ruf has created two versions of the Porsche 911 bearing the RGT moniker. The first was a 385-hp, 3.6-liter 996 and the second was a 445-hp 997. Now, the supercar manufacturer (don't call 'em a tuner) has created its third iteration, the RGT-8, and it's the firm's most impressive engineering feat to date.

Nestled within the back of Stuttgart's finest, Ruf has managed to squeeze in a 4.5-liter V8 putting out 550 horsepower at its 8,500-rpm redline and 367 pound-feet of torque at 5,400 rpm. The 180-degree, flatcrank V8 is apparently custom designed by Ruf and comes complete with titanium connecting rods, a dry-sump lubrication system and spherical heads. And not only does it meet both U.S. and European emission standards, the whole swap is reportedly 80 pounds lighter than the 3.8-liter boxer-six it replaces.

A custom interior, integrated roll cage, 19-inch Ruf wheels (wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport Cups) and carbon ceramic brakes (among a host of other mods) round out the package. Although Ruf isn't quoting performance figures or putting a sticker on the RGT-8 yet, we've gotten word that production is set to begin in 2011 and orders are currently being booked. We're buying a lottery ticket in Lausanne right now.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
They did not.
The article says; curiously similar

Reading between the lines is an art, I think we should find out more (other sources) before passing a judgment.
George, Architect
Old 03-04-2010, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Body:
2 seated coupé with integrated roll-cage
2 racing type bucket seats
Aluminium doors and front hood
Carbon fibre engine cover and rear spoiler

Engine:
Lightweight-8-Cylinder-90°-engine with racing DNA
180° crankshaft “Flatcrank”
4,5 Liter displacement
Power output 404 kW (550 bhp) @ 8500rpm
Maximum torque 500 Nm @ 5400rpm
Aluminium crankcase and cylinder heads
Water cooled, cylinderheads and engineblock cross flowed
4-valve system with spherical layout
4 camshafts with hydraulically timed valve system for in- and outlet
Hydraulic valve tappets
Dry sump oil lubrication with two windage trays for each of the 4 chambers
Individual chamber oil suction with 2 suction intakes
Waterpump, generator and AC compressor are directly driven of the Engine (no belts), located at the lowest position
Sequential fuel injection system
Individual cylinder ignition coils
Electronic engine management system
Electronic throttle control system per bank with 2 butterflies
3-Way catalytic converters with stereo closed loop lambda control
On-Board-Diagnosis for continuous monitoring of the exhaust system

Transmission:
Rear wheel drive with 6 speed manual gearbox

Chassis:
Electronic stability control system, ABS, traction control,
automatic limited-slip differential

RUF high performance brakes with ceramic discs,
perforated and air cooled
Front brake disc diameter 380 mm
Rear brake disc diameter 350 mm

Forged RUF alloy wheels with single central retaining nut
Front : 9Jx19 with 245/35 ZR 19
Rear : 12Jx19 with 325/30 ZR 19
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires

All specifications are subject to variation, as specified for the prototype RUF RGT-8

RGT-8
Old 03-04-2010, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Talk about identity complex!

If this comes to fruition I will switch to Ferrari.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to RideShoot&Drink
Will it fit in Cayman/Boxster? Anybody knows? Saw used Cayenne v8's as low as 4.5k

Present: 87 Carrera 3.6 Granite Green
Past: 85 Carrera, 78 3.3 Turbo, 90 964 C2
Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeoRS View Post
Here is what I found...

I stand corrected! (for now)

The engine appears to be RUF developped.

(But I still think they based their design on the Cayenne V8. I would like to know just how much they developped themselves)
32C Member #41

Last edited by Geronimo '74; 03-04-2010 at 07:09 AM..
Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I stand corrected! (for now)

The engine appears to be RUF developped.

(But I still think they based their design on the Cayenne V8. I would like to know just how much they developped themselves)
It's all good! You're probably right that it's based on the Cayenne's NA V8. Is the Cayenne's engine a 180 degree crankshaft configuration?

Ruf has been in partnership with various other companies when developping parts, so it might still be the case for the engine. Nonetheless, they know what they're doing.

Last edited by KeoRS; 03-04-2010 at 07:30 AM..
Old 03-04-2010, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobone View Post

Wait a minute..........you might be on to something!

If one were to look at Alois' bank records would one find payment for plane tickets to S. Africa? Maybe a notation like 'gift to my friend Uwe'?

Coincidence?
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: