Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Inaccuracy of aftermarket 915 shift rod holder tool

As this photo shows, the aftermarket, plastic substitute for P260a, the shift rod holder for the 915 transmission, is none too accurate. A couple of people whose opinions I respect vouch for it, but I have my doubts. Just thought I'd post this as food for thought.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

good thing i have the steel one. the plastic shifter T handle is a joke too.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Are you saying the bores for the bearings aren't right? I bet you can fix that, though I am glad mine didn't require it. Perhaps your case can serve as a jig to show you where to grind, and where to leave it alone?

Fact is, you can set the forks without any tool at all. First one I did, I did that way. Then I bought the plastic tool, thinking that was the proper thing to do, and used that. All have shifted OK.

A transmission rebuilder buddy doesn't think that much of the factory tool system, for that matter. Says you are placing too much faith on those two shafts and their bearings. He uses a junk tranny housing, whose right side he cut out. Now that's accurate. Cheap, too, if you have a junk housing.

When you had the shift rods apart and out, did you knurl the rod surface where the forks go? Nifty way to help the forks stay put once adjusted.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Those are helpful suggestions, Walt. However, the factory tool costs $80, so I don't see it as worthwhile to try to modify the aftermarket tool. I haven't taken the transmission apart. I just bought the tool and wanted to see how it fit before I disassembled it.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom F2 View Post
Those are helpful suggestions, Walt. However, the factory tool costs $80, so I don't see it as worthwhile to try to modify the aftermarket tool. I haven't taken the transmission apart. I just bought the tool and wanted to see how it fit before I disassembled it.
Good move regarding buying the factory tool. P-car transmissions are all about tools, and sometimes after market or home made just doesn't cut it. I was lucky enough to attend the Porsche factory school for manual transmission repair (a one week course in Culver City, CA in early 1976), and learned about the how and why of factory tools from a Porsche-trained master technician. An amazing experience that taught respect for the engineers and designers of the transmissions, how the manual trans evolved through that point in time, and why following the factory manual, and using factory tools, was key to doing a successful repair. The manual explains how to make an adjustment, and the tools allow you to make those adjustments.

Don't forget to read part 7 of my Tutorial again (click on "915")!

http://porsche.wikidot.com/

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 03-18-2010 at 12:28 PM..
Old 03-18-2010, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Hi Tom. As I mentioned in your email, we've sold more than 50 of these over the past year with no returns and no complaints. It's possible that this particular unit was manufactured defective, in which case we'd be more than happy to replace it under warranty.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The problem is that the holes in the tool aren't correctly spaced, as you can see from my photo on the thread. The misalignment is not so great as to prevent one from using the tool, yet it is pronounced enough to make me doubt that I am getting the correct geometry on the shifter rods.

As far as whether this is a unique incident, I kind of doubt it. I suspect that they are all made this way, because I suspect that they are all made in the same mold. However, it is just my hunch, and I haven't compared a number of these tools to see whether they are all the same.

I did not mean for this thread to be critical of Pelican. I have always had excellent service from Pelican. The need to have real factory tools for transmission work has come up before on the 911 technical board, and I was just trying to add to the body of knowledge by posting my thread.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Less brakes, more gas!

Garage
Anyone making these out of steel? Pelican does not sell them in steel as far as I could see. Is there a drawing of it in the factory workshop manuals? DIMs anyone? I would be interested in making one for myself... perhaps others if enough interest.

-Michael
Old 03-19-2010, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: