Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Addicted

Garage
911 Sump Plate Help!

I am in a pickle and hoping someone here can help me. Over the past weekend I changed my gasket on the sump plate. However, as I unscrewed the sump plate m6 nuts, it dropped down onto the floor (no damage) and mixed up the direction of how everything was installed. So...the question is:

What is the proper placement of the sump plate screen and plate when reinstalling?

Also, does anyone know the difference between the WHITE versus the BLUE Nylock nuts? I cant find the blue anywhere, but have enough white ones to finish the job.

This is on my 83 911 SC Targaaaa.

Thanks!

81 SC Targa
95 C4 Coupe - Previous Mistress

05 Audi S4 - V8
Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bye, Bye.

I have mine out right now. My understanding for an SC is that the screen hole should be opposite the sump plate drain hole. Further, the screen hole should be under the pick up tube on the passenger side of the sump and the drain hole should be on the driver's side of the sump.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Addicted

Garage
Thanks Scooter for your help. I will have to eyeball it later tonight after work. I am hoping i have the correct nylock bolts (white versus blue) to finish the job)

81 SC Targa

05 Audi S4 - V8
Old 03-29-2010, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Somatic Negative Optimist

Garage
Thumbs up

As long as they're Nylok, color doesn't matter.
Make sure the plate is straight and level.
OEM sump plates can distort when people tighten the nuts too much.
You can hammer it straight using a flat steel surface.

Position the plate so that it allows the pick-up tube for the oil pump to suction correctly.

Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".

Last edited by Gunter; 03-29-2010 at 10:18 AM..
Old 03-29-2010, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Gasket
Screen
Gasket
Plate
Washers
Nuts
Old 03-29-2010, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Addicted

Garage
You guys freggin rock. And Gunter, thank you for the brilliant picture. I would be embarassed to show you the underside of my 'not-so-clean' P-Car. However, it did get a bit of a cleaning during this tune-up. Off I go to get the sump back to perfection.

81 SC Targa

05 Audi S4 - V8
Old 03-29-2010, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

interesting your drain plug shows on the drivers side. on early long hoods it is oriented to the passenger side. wonder when things changed ?
Member #750 Early911S Registry
1970 911E
I know Where Jerry S. has his NYC Garage
Yadda Yadda Yadda
Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

The drain has to go opposite of the oil pick up, otherwise it can impede oil flow. Perhaps early cars has a different orientation because it used a different sump.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Addicted

Garage
Update: Oddly, The only way it appeared to fit correctly was with the plug closest to the front of the car, directly in-line with split. Hope i didnt screw anything up.

Now my car is running rough. I suspect I have a spark plug wire to deal with.... the hunt continues.

Thanks for all your help.

J

81 SC Targa

05 Audi S4 - V8
Old 03-31-2010, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs down

Doesn't sound right.

If a stock SC sump plate doesn't fit correctly on a 3.0 case, further investigation is necessary.

Incorrect positioning can have serious consequences. Aside from impeding suction, the plate can push up on the suction pipe distorting the oil pump and pump drive shaft; it has happened in the past.

I wouldn't drive it like that. You'll need to do it right; and quickly.

Can you post pictures of the sump plate, screen and the suction pipe?
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 04-01-2010, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Addicted

Garage
I am going to grease up over the weekend (or tomorrow night) and take a few naughty pictures of the culprit.

After the full tune-up (valve adjustment, oil, filter, air-filter, valve cover gaskets, distributor cap / rotor) I have a rough idle. I am almost certain it's a spark plug wire. But with timing gun in hand, I will soon rule out all possiblities.

I love this punishment. Take it all day long over sitting in an office.

81 SC Targa

05 Audi S4 - V8
Old 04-01-2010, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
After a valve adjust, it's possible that a plug connector is not seated correctly.
You want to hear/feel a snap when pushing the connector on the plug.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I have mine out right now. My understanding for an SC is that the screen hole should be opposite the sump plate drain hole. Further, the screen hole should be under the pick up tube on the passenger side of the sump and the drain hole should be on the driver's side of the sump.
Is this true for a 1979 turbo as well?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 04-02-2010, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Addicted

Garage
Update. I didnt post any picts... however I did solve the problem with everyone's help:

The Sump Screen must be positioned so that the pipe may pass into it. It is a precise fit but easily snuggled into the hole. There is only one way it will go in. Once in, the sump plate will fit properly into place where the drain bolt is positioned to the driver's of the car. As seen in Herr Dr. Gunter's picture.

When you do not have it positioned correctly, you will definitely hear odd sounds eminating from the engine... trust me, I know.

Now... I have another challenge... but that is for another post.

81 SC Targa

05 Audi S4 - V8
Old 04-11-2010, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Old thread...but I've seen both ways... The 700 mile "S" has it centered. What is the correct orientation for a 2.4?
Old 10-05-2020, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80724421@N00/7391004896/in/album-72157630169538658/
Old 10-05-2020, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Functionista

Regardless of where the plate ends up being oriented model to model, the pick-up tube must be centered in the middle of the deepest part of the plate (by clocking the plate).
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
BLM

Blue Locknuts Matter!

I know, it's from the old post.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911sc , nylock , sump plate