Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
porschesaur

Road Atlanta: Demonstration of Air Cooled Supremacy

Howdy chaps,

Following video is part one of two of the 2nd PCA sprint won by this car at Road Atlanta a couple weeks ago. Driver #1 qualified on pole and went through to win his race. Driver #2 had no qualifying time to stand on and started dead last with a GT2R class car 112lbs over class weight. He went through the entire field of the top PCA classes in only a few laps to win against the latest factory sequential shift cars running totally unrestricted, exceeding 175mph over the brow of the back straight on approach to the chicane.

Though time has moved on, in essence, this is a clear demonstration our air cooled cars still have a place at the top of the performance ladder in PCA Club Racing and one could say a 1997 993 3.8RSR converted to a 3.0 litre twin turbo and carefully setup is the most economically efficient (and durable) way to get there.

Here's the final prep after a gearbox ratio change, at minute 3, goes through the gears like a sport bike.

1950 Vincent Rapide - A Red Rapide Experience -
Old 04-06-2010, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
Wow,

That was nice !!!
Phil

89 Coupe,Black,95 3.6 engine and the list goes on ...
1983 944 SP2 race car PCA #96
Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Green Skull 006

Impressive. Doesn't hurt to have a good driver behind the wheel either.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
yes,..a good driver...
25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 04-07-2010, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Peter, thanks for those, awesome! The way that RSR blew by the field of cars was amazing to watch. It seemed there were only two cars that gave any kind of fight at all, but most looked like they had the parking brake on!

On the second vid, I've never seen anyone use brakes on the dyno before. Reason?

Thanks for sharing!
1976 Datsun 280Z BRE Tribute race car
Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Certified Porsche Nut

Garage
Racing. Not posing.
That's for sure.

Peter, do you run a data logger? Any chance of getting your data from that day?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Peter, thanks as always.

The guys at PWR are doing some really phenomenal stuff with these TT small displacement motors.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Garfield View Post
Impressive. Doesn't hurt to have a good driver behind the wheel either.
What he said.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
gearhead

Pat told me that car was a beast. He wasn't lying. It's nice to see our products put to good use...

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
cycling has-been

thanks Peter
I can feel that car pushing me back in my chair cushions as he heads down the back stretch. - yikes -
also amazing as to how much ground he makes up under braking as he progresses through the field
Bill K

Last edited by bkreigsr; 04-08-2010 at 07:54 AM..
Old 04-07-2010, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

That was an exercise not only in skilled driving, but patient driving. Very nice to see those qualities come together.

Steve
Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
Wow, that was incredible. He made it look so easy.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Air Cooled

Garage
Great video and a very nice drive! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

- CraigD
'88 Honda Hawk GT, '77 Honda CB750K Cafe
'69 Honda CL350
Old 04-07-2010, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via MSN to MrPerkles
awesome car and driver
Old 04-08-2010, 12:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
porschesaur

Howdy Chaps,

Hit’n it as follows:

Brakes on the dyno: You’ll note that often in PWR’s various dyno’s here. Running a motor off the scale only to coast down may suit drag racing or even street apps but not road racing where you may brake heavily and immediately pickup the throttle on the track. That throttle response with EFI (taking inputs from head temp, intercooler temps, etc..) may be completely different in this mode and the tables must be altered. Note, this braking isn’t snatching the straps, rather, just soft swipe of the pedal.

Data logging: Unlike the green and tan cars on this page where The David displays ECU data in the video, on this car it’d have to be captured as a download viewable only with a proprietary app. That said, of note, only 1.1 bar limited to 7,400rpm, short shifted at 7k once in the lead.

Drivers: PCA runs the largest most competitive single marque race series in the U.S. Though occasionally grating to the real hobbyists, what gives it undeniable cred is that not only a base of exceptionally talented drivers resulting in close fields but you have true measuring sticks of real accomplishment. Normally constrained ALMS cars running grand am prototype unlimited motors in carbon bodied cars free of weight limitation and true pro’s in their current mounts setting their cars up to win at subsequent events (Sebring).

So at the top level here, the underlying question is for the (well healed) enthusiast is, what can I set my sights for? For that enthusiast, known as a “dayjobber”, it can be represented at its highest level by these two drivers, and the goal is realistically - overall wins in the right car. In their 30’s/40’s, athletically trained, focused, within 400hundredths of a second of each other, they are the output of the former category of Junior Johnson’s proclamation , I’d rather muzzle a race horse than kick a mule in arse..or words to that effect. With 5 years to hone their skills, progressing from an NA 3.8 to a 2.6TT to now a 3.0TT in the same familiar car, it’s now longer about class, but overall. To go through a field of “faster” class cars in a little over half race distance, then back off and win by over 8 seconds says a lot about both car and driver.

Engine displacement: It’s perfect timing for this thread, but the PCA newsletter addresses this issue perfectly. Click here and scan to page 18. Non PCNA Engine builders are held to a higher standard these days for club race motors. You must talk season(s) rather than hours and that motor has to endure it with the driver’s foot on the mat and little/no concern for the tach. The mighty 935 never really got beyond about a 3.2. and the 993 GT2 ran as a 3.6 likely only because its output was restricted. “Big” for a bullet proof enduring race turbo is a 3.4, and candidly for one that’ll be even nicer to it’s running gear – a 3.0. Street app’s are to a degree, totally different.

Clarification: As always, merely the PWR site content creator/developer, video jockey – not connected to Pat Williams Racing, the car/drivers in any way - just providing various entertaining snippets to the forum as the principals here not inclined to do so.

And Matt, I love my Guards, haven't even had a radio in my 930 since going to EFI and PWR package motor 6 years ago. Like a symphony rising to the grand finale, when that whine starts to rise in third as the boost needle sweeps over, you just know big things are bout ready to happen.

Last edited by Peter Guldan; 04-08-2010 at 07:24 AM..
Old 04-08-2010, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

cool, Kevin
Old 04-08-2010, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I swear, I thought it was a video game. I've driven Road Atlanta. . . just not like that.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Honda God

Brakes on the dyno: You’ll note that often in PWR’s various dyno’s here. Running a motor off the scale only to coast down may suit drag racing or even street apps but not road racing where you may brake heavily and immediately pickup the throttle on the track. That throttle response with EFI (taking inputs from head temp, intercooler temps, etc..) may be completely different in this mode and the tables must be altered. Note, this braking isn’t snatching the straps, rather, just soft swipe of the pedal.

Why not use an eddy current or some form of "loading" dyno?

:shrugg:
'92 CX right hand shift, 1.8L 440bhp
'93 SI left hand shift, 1.6L 120bhp
Old 04-08-2010, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
porschesaur

Uh ...Jack .... that is an eddy current dyno as fully explained at that link above. Hours were spent on it developing these engine management systems fully utilizing load mode which could not have been achieved on an inertia.

When you are at the top of fifth in these larger displacement more powerful cars under load at nearly 8 grand with a wheel speed in excess of 160mph it is important to have the same razor focus you'd have in traffic on the track. This is a rare case where the person in that seat not only built the car, he developed the mgmt system, set the chassis up and races successfully. In a foot rythm/sequence honed over years on the track, it's more expedient for Pat to swipe that peddle reflexively than switch mental gears and key in a load for the sole purpose of slowing the rollers momentarily as opposed to gathering meaningful data.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Incredible car and excellent driver!!!

I saw this car at the PCA race shown at RA and it was stunning! All 3 of the PWR cars that I saw, of which i made it a point to look over, where very well prepared cars and quite impressive to me!!! I am no authority, but I do recognize good stuff and watching this car on the track, I would say they got it right! Absolutely smoked everything in the races I watched and there were several other very nice cars in the field.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: