Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Seine Shifter Modification! The BEST $150 I have spent on my 911

I have had 2 Porsche 911 cars. a 1976 and now the 1982 and like most of us have done a lot of things to make the car the way "WE" want it. As sloppy as the shifter is on my 1982 BMW 320I, I have never missed a gear or even "Looked" for a gear. This is something I and a lot of you cannot say driving a "Porsche 911". On the 1976 I glued on a longer piece to the bottom of the lever and it worked fairly well. Then when I got the 1982 the Weltmeister was my plan but I totally did not like the higher effort and it being shorter. So I had 10 special 2 inch extensions made that fit the lever perfectly and sold 4 of them (So Far) and that made everything Better, but not perfect. I still had to be careful going to 3rd gear. So I bought the Seine Shifter modification and then decided to get the Porsche Short Shifter assembly (Not a bad deal also for about $150). I have now been driving with everything adjusted and even my wife cannot miss 3rd gear. My only question is "WHY" didn't the car come from the Factory like this to begin with using a 3rd / 4th gear default ?"

Old 05-07-2010, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Agreed. I'd like a WEVO shifter, but haven't justified the extra $400. I have the '86 factory short shifter. With new shift bushings and the Seine product, it shifts very well and without ambiguity.

Doug
Old 05-07-2010, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Have the same set up in my 84. Love it! Great bang for the buck. My wife also drives it with no issues at all.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
AMEN! My problem with the WEVO Shifter was it just did not look like what I should see in a Porsche!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hey Vincent,
I just received the shifter extension piece from you today, looks beautiful, and can't wait to install it. I have a Seine shifter just like the one in your picture. I opted for the fancy polished one from Seine already built. I love it!
You need to put a link on this thread to your thread on the shift extensions.
I'm sure you would generate more interest. I will post pics here when I get mine installed.
Thanks,
Grant
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa
Old 05-07-2010, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
gduke2010

Garage
The Siene S shifter is one of the first things I put on my car. It's good insurance, preventing a missed shift and over reved engine. The WEVO is probably the superior upgrade, but I couldn't justify paying that much extra. The SS works great and I've been happy w/ mine.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have never understood the problem with gear selection with a 915. I have driven quiet a few and have not experienced the "sloppy shifting" that others complain of. I even found the 901 in my first car, a 74 914, to be precise and easy.
Am I missing something? I have experiences slop in a VW bug but never found it challenging to find a gear.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben parrish View Post
I have never understood the problem with gear selection with a 915. I have driven quiet a few and have not experienced the "sloppy shifting" that others complain of. I even found the 901 in my first car, a 74 914, to be precise and easy.
Am I missing something? I have experiences slop in a VW bug but never found it challenging to find a gear.
Ben,
Put a rookie into your Pcar with a 915 and watch and cringe as they attempt to shift it. It's not intuitive like most other cars! I've had 9 911s since 1970 and like you never had a shifting problem. Experience and just do it slow and easy! After reading about these"contraptions", I thought, who the hell needs that! But having now installed the Seine unit, I'm overjoyed with the shift feel, very much like a good gated shifter, ala most other perfomance cars, including Pcars with G50s.
The 1st to 2nd is as normal, but the beauty comes with 2nd to 3rd.(thats the shift that confounds most rookies) You just slam it forward and it goes to 3rd, you don't have to "aim" for 3rd. The spring loading. plus a lockout, much like the reverse lockout, guide it into 3rd automatically. Of course 3rd to 4th and to 5th are straight forward. Kind of hard to explain why it feels so good, you just have to try one to understand.
Grant
Old 05-07-2010, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'm wondering about the spring loaded 3-4 on it.

My totally stock 915 is also spring loaded 3-4.

What's different? I know mine doesn't have an R lockout.

It's never been an issue.

But, I'm thinking a shorter throw might not be a bad thing.

Any recommendations?
Old 05-07-2010, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
I'm wondering about the spring loaded 3-4 on it.

My totally stock 915 is also spring loaded 3-4.

What's different? I know mine doesn't have an R lockout.

It's never been an issue.

But, I'm thinking a shorter throw might not be a bad thing.

Any recommendations?
Your 915 should have a Reverse lockout to keep it from going from 5th to reverse by mistake, unless you've removed it! And yes, a short shifter is a blessing.
As far as the 3-4 spring load, when in neutral the Seine shifter stick remains spring loaded in the 3-4 plane, and you have to push it left to select 1st and 2nd,
very much like you have to push against spring tension to the right to go into 5th or reverse.

As I mentioned earlier, you have to drive a car with an upgrade shifter to understand! Folks don't lay out $400-$600 for Wevo, Harget, Rennshift and a little less for a Seine shifter, just because they like to spend money! These things really work. Think about it, a 915 or 901 shifter is just floppy! When in neutral it's not spring loaded in any direction, just floppy left to right. Don't know if it harks back to the VW heritage of these cars, but it reminds me of my first VW bug.
Anyway, if you ever get a chance to drive a Pcar equiped with one of these upgraded shifters, give it a try, and you'll then lust after one!
Porsche finally figured it out with the G50!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Although more expensive, I have the Hargett unit in my SC. Just sitiing on my bench, it has more shifting feel than my stock shifter system, LOL. It is a really amazing piece to look at. I haven't gotten to drive with it yet, but I'm sure it will be a very satisfying experience.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
I've been using a Rennshift in my car for about 4 years and love it.

I did consider the WEVO but the Rennshift is a little bit cheaper and is a complete shifter rather than just an add on parts like the WEVO.
So now I have an OEM shifter with a factory short shift sitting on a shelf in my garage.

Just one thing. The Rennshift took some time and a bit of tweaking to set-up and adjust.

I was thinking about trying the Seine Shifter Mod on my OEM shifter. We'll see...
Meanwhile a fellow club member offered me $200 for my OEM Shifter.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Vincent Hill's suberb shift extender!!

I received this super nicely done shift extension from Vincent yesterday and installed it. Fantastic shifting now, less of a reach, the shifter just falls into your hand and gives much better leverage! Here's some pics, before and after. Easy install, just epoxy into the hole in the shifter! I have a Weltmeister shift stick so I know it's a perfect fit on it. Don't know about stock shifters though, perhaps Vincent could shed some light. Should look great, once I paint it black.
By the way Vincent, put another one away for me, as I have a friend who wants one! Will send you a PM.
Great bit of work Vincent!!!

Old 05-08-2010, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Mark S

In lieu of adapters etc. I have been cutting off below the boot and welding old 'longer and/or bent to suit' shift levers on P cars for decades.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoepop View Post
In lieu of adapters etc. I have been cutting off below the boot and welding old 'longer and/or bent to suit' shift levers on P cars for decades.
Great idea, but don't have a welder or the expertise to use one. But I sure can mix up some epoxy!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

[QUOTE=uwanna;5340267]I received this super nicely done shift extension from Vincent yesterday and installed it. Fantastic shifting now, less of a reach, the shifter just falls into your hand and gives much better leverage! Here's some pics, before and after. Easy install, just epoxy into the hole in the shifter! I have a Weltmeister shift stick so I know it's a perfect fit on it. Don't know about stock shifters though, perhaps Vincent could shed some light. Should look great, once I paint it black.
By the way Vincent, put another one away for me, as I have a friend who wants one! Will send you a PM.
Great bit of work Vincent!!!

Where can I buy that extension???

R Gruppe Member
Old 05-08-2010, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwanna View Post
Think about it, a 915 or 901 shifter is just floppy! When in neutral it's not spring loaded in any direction, just floppy left to right.
That's what I was saying, my stock 915 IS spring loaded in the 3-4 plane, in fact I've owned 4 cars with a 915 and they were all spring loaded in the 3-4 plane.

And, yes it does have a reverse lockout.

Sounds like the 'feel' is much better in the short shift.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Where can I buy that extension???[/QUOTE]

Just send a PM to Vincent Hill, the originator of this thread! He had a machinist make him about ten or so and I think he has a few left, and I'm sure he would love to sell them!
Old 05-08-2010, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
That's what I was saying, my stock 915 IS spring loaded in the 3-4 plane, in fact I've owned 4 cars with a 915 and they were all spring loaded in the 3-4 plane.

And, yes it does have a reverse lockout.

Sounds like the 'feel' is much better in the short shift.
Guess you'd have to experience shifting one of these units to understand the difference. The little red piece/spring mounted to the side of the shifter is what spring loads the shifter to the right (3-4 plane). No stock 915 has any spring loading provision like that. The only spring loading on a stock shifter is when going from 3-4 to 5th or reverse. I repeat, it shifts like a gated shifter, which no 915 does.

Last edited by uwanna; 05-08-2010 at 01:29 PM..
Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Great modification for the 915 - one of the first things I did. I'd also recommend welding the tab and getting rid of that hose clamp = now that's something that doesn't belong on a p-car - not there anyway.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: