Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
New Gas Tank part 2

I have had to replace the gas tank out of my 1972 911T. Long story short, the first tank I installed had a leak, so I am having to paint another. I was going to try Rhino Lining this time on the bottom and just paint the top again. Has anyone used this Rhino Lining on a tank? Are there any other recommendations? I know they were originally gravel coated, but did have not found anyone in my area that does this. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I recently installed a later model (larger) fuel tank in my '71T, since my stock one was seriously dented from underneath. The used tank I purchased was in pretty decent shape, but I wanted it to look better. I stripped all of the factory undercoating off, so it was back to bare metal. There was some spots of surface rust below the under coating, so it was a good thing I stripped the tank. All of the rust was treated & then I sprayed it with several coats of Wurth High Build Rubberized undercoating. This stuff is very tough & goes on very easy. I liked the way it looked, so it went straight into the car, with no other color coat on top of it.

Our host, Pelican, does not sell the Wurth undercoating, so I found the best price on Amazon. 1 can should be enough to do the tank. Here's the before & after photos.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wow, that looks great! I like what you did w/ the trunk. Looks very clean. I have AC installed in my car so I would not be able to relocate the battery like you did, I wish I could though.

Do you know if the Wurth product is fuel resistent?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure the Wurth is fuel resistant. I resprayed my engine compartment last year & ended up with a fuel leak that got on an area that had Wurth applied. It did not lift or soften up. Also, the Wurth is meant to be painted over, which I did on the front lower section of my trunk. I was spraying PPG enamel paint & the thinner in this paint did not react with the Wurth that is was being applied to.

Last edited by m1franck; 06-25-2010 at 10:44 AM..
Old 06-25-2010, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Wow! That's cleaner than my kitchen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1franck View Post
Old 06-25-2010, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Received the replacement tank, had to perform some minor fixes. Painted w/ the Wurth High Build.

Before:

After:

Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: