Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cup Holder?

Hello. I know flamesuit on but here it goes. I have my first long trip coming up in the Porsche (Lake Placid NY:around 600 miles round trip) and I am feeling the need for a cup holder. I ordered the one from our host and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Back in my day, I just handed my beer to my girlfriend, saying; "Here...hold this a sec."
Old 07-06-2010, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I hear you (not so much with the beer). Normally my wife would do the same but this will be a solo trip.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 07-06-2010, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

A roll of duct tape works for me. The base of my coffee mug fits nicely and the roll sits on the passenger side of the shifter within easy reach.
PCA - 37yrs / Ex-RGruppe #197
'04 GT3 (Halloween/SF Giants car)
'11 E550 Coupe (Königstiger)
Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My travel mug has been riding in my door pocket....found a mug with a thin base, and it actually works quite well - better than any 'real' cupholder that I've used in other cars.

Not sure I'd want a soft cup in there though.

Have a great trip!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
John W

After several spills, I got a $2 cup holder from auto zone that hangs from the door pocket. I either use that or a travel mug with a latching lid.

89 3.2 Targa 118k miles
Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

Friend has one of the Pelican lighter holders, likes it a LOT.

The big duck tape roll works very well for me.

The girlfriend thing doesn't work w/ cold beverages - hot sweaty hands.

Door holders are a spill waiting to happen. Open/close without grabbing the cup and it's everywhere.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Just pee out the door, like any self respecting porsche owner would do. What do you need a cup holder for.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf76 View Post
Hello. I know flamesuit on but here it goes. I have my first long trip coming up in the Porsche (Lake Placid NY:around 600 miles round trip) and I am feeling the need for a cup holder. I ordered the one from our host and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Thanks,

Chris
Assume you're talking about the one that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I've had the same one for a few years now and it works great. I commute to work at least 2-3 days per week, so I use it a lot. It holds a standard size travel cup fine and doesn't bounce around or splash at all. The only drawback I've found is that it kind of gets in the way of the passenger's knees, but if you're driving solo that won't be an issue.
1955 Chevy Apache 3100 Pickup

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the input everyone. I just received my email frm our host that the package has shipped so I will let you know how it works out.

Chris
Old 07-07-2010, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Porsche Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrpete View Post
Assume you're talking about the one that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I've had the same one for a few years now and it works great. I commute to work at least 2-3 days per week, so I use it a lot. It holds a standard size travel cup fine and doesn't bounce around or splash at all. The only drawback I've found is that it kind of gets in the way of the passenger's knees, but if you're driving solo that won't be an issue.
Barbpete

I think you just convince me... I'll added to my 5th order in less than 5 weeks, when does it stop???

Never I hope

Cheers

J.J.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 07-08-2010, 01:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

i use one of those auto sealing travel mugs from costco. works great, doesn't leak so you can actually lay it on the seat.
http://www.gocontigo.com/autoseal-stainless-steel-travel-mug.html
Old 07-08-2010, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I dont have a cup holder (or want one) but I can see your point on a long trip. I just use a bottled water and no cup holder needed, but thats just me. Hope your trip goes well, but if you come back saying you cant hear the radio because the engine is too loud, then we are going to have a problem !!
75 Carrera Coupe 2.8L #81
75 911 Targa
2006 Cayenne S Titanium
Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Thumbs up Even better

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanadary View Post
i use one of those auto sealing travel mugs from costco. works great, doesn't leak so you can actually lay it on the seat.
http://www.gocontigo.com/autoseal-stainless-steel-travel-mug.html
Ken

You just save me a few $. Have a drink on me. Don't worry it's past 12 in Europe

Cheers

J.J.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I like the girlfriend idea....but it can be expensive. thats how guys lose half their stuff!!
[when the wife finds out you have a new cupholder!!]

I think you are better to rent this kind of cupholder than to buy.
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 07-08-2010, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hmmm long long ago I did many bad things, smoke, eat, drive, text, talk, manage a six speed and so on. It's been said that like that of Jesus over water I walked on oil and had a lab coat whelding a solid gold torque wrench.

haha!

Now to be serious.
My cars kind if bare on the inside and due to the GT2 inner pannals does look flush. I had a issue kinda like you. And so I made a cargo net mesh holder. That has snaps. I'll take a picture it's hard to discribe. But it works well even with starbucks or tea etc " hella just whent yuppie for a moment " but it's alright for civil but if you're going to get down it might not be ideal. I sort of just wanted something that could be deleted at any time and not take away from my interior.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Vinyl guru ask 4 a quote

Garage
Big to go cup with a sealed top.....stick between legs. Then buy a Volvo....
Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
AKA SportsCarFan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCA7GGR View Post
A roll of duct tape works for me. The base of my coffee mug fits nicely and the roll sits on the passenger side of the shifter within easy reach.
After trying a couple options -- one that was supposed to hang on the door (but didn't) & the "bar-buoy" type that attached nicely to the dash (moved around so much drinks spilled) -- I tried the roll of duct tape on the floor & it is great...unless you have a passenger.

It holds the drink nicely, slight spills stay around the edge of the roll & not on the floor, it can be easily moved to the floor behind the passenger seat when it is not being used & it could come in handy for a roadside repair some day!

Try it -- it works really well!

1988 Guards Red Carrera
Old 07-08-2010, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
grateful user

Garage
I made this one out of 1/16 alum. and bolted it to the seat track, works great. (idea stolen from another pelican)
fully disassembled, blasted, customized and restored 75 targa with factory hard top, 993 style turbo ft fenders, steel flares, C2 bumpers and rockers, 82 3.0 sc 9.5/1 engine with PMS flywheel, 964 cams, flowed heads, ssi's short geared 915 w/lsd, polybronze, bilstein,working lambda, modified and highly tuned cis, tensioners, pop valve, backdated exhaust and heater, 2300 lbs. no bolt left untouched. 1970 911E. Nice car but needs a re-do.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Pelican Cup Holder

Used mine for the first time today.........impressed with it so far. After shampooing my carpets recently, and straightening my door pockets, the door pocket coffee spiller was no longer an option..........I'd recommend it

2004 M3-Alpine White(sold)
2002 M Roadster (sold)
Old 07-08-2010, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: