Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
It'll be legen-waitforit

Looks like a overfill, but you said it was just above the min mark? You are reading the dipstick with the engine fully warmed up AND running right? If yes, then get it in for a compression/leakdown test.

Good luck.

Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 07-10-2010, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
be sure to drain from the sump (engine plug) and not tank. If you try to drain a portion of the tank when hot... you will drain the entire contents. Ask me how i know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamkj View Post
Just looking for some more advice in regards to the draining some oil...

Process...

1. Warm up engine at idle... let the smoke show start... once nice and hot.. check oil...
*If it is at MIN... do I want to drain any?
*Anything above MIN... drain a bit?

2. Once a portion of oil is drained... go for drive...
*Monitor OIL PRESSURE
*Monitor ENGINE TEMP
*CHECK ACCELERATION AND POWER

3. Cross fingers hope no more smoke...
* and if there is still lots of smoke... cross fingers and hope for no more damage.

I will also add octane boost since the last tanke was 87 octane... which I was told is bad!!!!
83 SC Targa -- 3.2SS, GT2-108 Dougherty Cams, 9.5:1 JE Pistons, Supertec Studs, PMO ITB's, MS2 EFI, SSI's, Recurved Dizzy, MSD, Backdated Dansk Sport Stainless 2 in 1 out, Elephant Polybronze, Turbo Tie Rods, Bilstein HD's, Hollow 21-27 TBs, Optima Redtop 34R, Griffiths-ZIMS AC, Seine Shifter, Elephant Racing Oil Cooling.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Registered

remember, it takes a long time to burn off an exhaust system full of oil. it won't be just a 10 minute drive.

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071
Old 07-10-2010, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Update

I was hoping to get some oil drained this weekend... but started with re/re a new rad in the 91 Accord.

So once I got that done, I move it out of the way and pushed the 911 out of the garage... so I didnt smoke out the garage!

Started it up.... wee bit off a poof... not much... hardly any smoke now.... now it just appears to be the leaky residue that hits the heat exchangers etc...

Was also told to add 2 bottles a AC Delco EOS... release any sticky rings etc... so I did... went out for a drive... and got it nice and warm... no smoke... just the little bit from burning off the leaky oil residue.

Parked it in the driveway... at idle... checked oil... it is near the top line...

Will leave it for now... doing an oil change at the end of the week... my mechanic wants the EOS to run through the engine lots...

When we do the new oil change... will check plugs etc... and add EOS to the new oil also.

Thanks for everyones help.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Recreational User

Now I'm thinking you just had water in your gas, or some other fluid that isn't supposed to be in there.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
grateful user

Garage
where did you get the GM eos?
fully disassembled, blasted, customized and restored 75 targa with factory hard top, 993 style turbo ft fenders, steel flares, C2 bumpers and rockers, 82 3.0 sc 9.5/1 engine with PMS flywheel, 964 cams, flowed heads, ssi's short geared 915 w/lsd, polybronze, bilstein,working lambda, modified and highly tuned cis, tensioners, pop valve, backdated exhaust and heater, 2300 lbs. no bolt left untouched. 1970 911E. Nice car but needs a re-do.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Don't add a lot of EOS. It is too thick. Also, too much ZDDP will kill your Catalytic Converter. There are other issues better explained by the likes of Lubby or Charles Navarro. Just use a quality (Brad Penn, Swepco...) 20W50 oil and change it regularly.

Last edited by Por_sha911; 07-11-2010 at 03:17 PM..
Old 07-11-2010, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: