Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question 911 engine & gearbox weight

Hi all,
Winter here in OZ which gets my mind thinking about building stuff for the work shop.
One day I guess I'm going too have to yank the engine on my 3.2 so figured I may as well build an engine trolley for the job.
I have a hoist so I won't be piddling around jacking the car up and running it out on a trolley jack, thank god, always looks suss to me. All those delicate ally engine pieces waiting to make rapid contact with a solid concrete workshop floor. Not if I don't have to.
I will utilize my hoist seeing as I have that luxury. I don't intend just dropping the engine either, I hate trying to marry up input shafts into clutch splines. There always seems to be too much swearing and blood lining them up.

What I need to know is the weight of a 3.2 911 engine and what is the weight of a 915 gearbox so I can purchase the castor's.

I know that a multitude of you will know the answer to this but search the web as I may I cannot find the answer.

Look forward to hearing from some of you.

Regards
Dave

Old 07-08-2010, 11:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Apparently no one does know the weight so I just went ahead and built my trolley out of scraps around the workshop.
Bought 125mm castor's and they are supposed to be good for 100kgs a corner. Reckon that will be enough, engine and gearbox can't weigh more than 350kgs. Allowed 50kgs for the trolley weight Probably over built but it will never break or tip over.
Kind of a good and bad news thing really isn't it.
It is ready to go if I need it but you hope never to need it.
A pipe dream I know

Dave
Old 07-11-2010, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I found it somewhere before and going off memory would venture to say around 6-700 lbs or 270-318 kilos for a 3.2/G-50.

So slightly less for the 915?
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 07-11-2010, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Cory
Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have my engine/tranny sitting on a home made wooden pallet with 200 lb casters on each corner. It works fine. The other one holds up my chassis with the same casters.

this was for a 3.0 with a 915 though but most casters have a factor of safety built in. Use 250 lb-ers if you're worried.
Toluca Lake, CA
Old 07-11-2010, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

650 for g50

Old 07-11-2010, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: