Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Is this the supply line or return oil line?

I need to order this line for my oil cooler and want to make sure I get the correct part. It goes to the upper brass line on the car. Is this the supply or return?

Old 07-10-2010, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

The catalog shows them as inner and outer so I assume that is outer
1964 Corvair Spyder Turbo gone
2012 Boss 302
Old 07-10-2010, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
1980 911 SC

Garage
I added a carrera cooler to my SC and got the kit. The two hoses are different lengths. On mine the outside line is longer than the inside.

In that picture they seem to be the same length.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Pelican catalog designates them as inner=supply and outer=return. The noted line in the picture is the shorter one. It crosses over and attaches to the slightly longer solid line on the car, which is the upper one. This was the way it was with my old brass cooler as well as my new carrera cooler. Sailchef, are you sure you don't have your lengths mixed up? Or does your outer mean the left hose in the picture?
Old 07-10-2010, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

They are less than $25 each Why not replace both? If one has failed other may not be far behind.
1964 Corvair Spyder Turbo gone
2012 Boss 302
Old 07-10-2010, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
1980 911 SC

Garage
OK , now I'm questioning the whole setup.

I'm going to check
Old 07-10-2010, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

1980 911 SC

Garage
There are two hose connectors on the top of the cooler.

This is what I have.

Looking at it from inside the wheel well, the right side has a longer hose connected to a shorter hard line. This is the line on the bottom. this hard line goes back to the thermostat and connects to the connector on the left.

The connector on the left

Tell me I have this backwards.

On the oil cooler which is the inlet side and which is supposed to be the outlet?

going for my Bently NOW!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Auxiliary thermostat's oil lines........

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailchef View Post
There are two hose connectors on the top of the cooler.

This is what I have.

Looking at it from inside the wheel well, the right side has a longer hose connected to a shorter hard line. This is the line on the bottom. this hard line goes back to the thermostat and connects to the connector on the left.

The connector on the left

Tell me I have this backwards.

On the oil cooler which is the inlet side and which is supposed to be the outlet?

going for my Bently NOW!
Chief,

Looking at the last picture with auxiliary thermostat, the left or inner oil lines is the supply line to the auxiliary cooler and the outer (right) is the return line. The inner metal oil line (supply) is shorter than the outer metal oil line (return). So the inner flexible oil line is longer than the outer flex line. Trace the hard oil lines from the thermostat. They should run parallel towards the front and up to the auxiliary cooler. Looks like they have crossed somewhere.

Well, the top picture shows where the oil lines crossed!!!! The bottom oil line (inner) is supposedly the supply and should be connected to the other side of the cooler. Keep us posted.

Tony
Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Return line........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwakil View Post
I need to order this line for my oil cooler and want to make sure I get the correct part. It goes to the upper brass line on the car. Is this the supply or return?

jwakil,

The oil line with the RED arrow is for the return line.

Tony
Old 07-10-2010, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
1980 911 SC

Garage
I started another thread to see if I really screwed up.

The info that I'm getting is that the oil can flow thru the cooler in either direction, doesn't matter. It only flows thru the thermostat in one direction but when it gets up front it just needs to "pass thru" the cooler.

I kinda thought that would be the case as I have been driving my car for several months without incident.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Senior Advisor

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to James Brown
yep, doesen't matter, it will cool (if you have a fan).
Old 07-10-2010, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks Tony.
Sailchef,
It shouldn't matter from a functional point, but looks like you got more twisting going on in that right side hose. By design, that should be the shorter hose going from the right side to the upper brass line. If it's not leaking, I wouldn't worry about it though. Those things are a pain to take off and put on and all the motion will probably do more damage. I think that's what happened to mine.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: