Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

82 911sc

just recently bought a 82sc, was checking the ride height noticed one side was 1/2in higher than the other, just measured the rear fender wells, if i had a corner balance would that fix the problem or is there really a problem, i know the car has probably settled over the years, also when i was in the buying stage i noticed the later years carreras 84, 85 etc sat a little higher, did the sc come lower from the factory than the carrera, pretty sure this car has not been lowered or anything, completly stock clean car, measured the highest point on rear fenders 25" one side 241/2" on the other, lower side on drivers, also noticed the engine lid upper right corner is off is there a adjustment for that, there are 2 shimes under the right hinge, doesn't seem to be much adjustment for side to side on the hinge

thanks

Old 07-11-2010, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Thumbs up Welcome...

... to the Porsche family.

I look at your post because I got an 83SC. Your problem is not really specific to a year model so you would get more "hit" with a title like "Different height ride between rear left and rear right" but not too worry that will come with experience on the boards.

One thing... the board love new member introduction with lot of photos of the car

Also you might want to add a location (of where you live) to your user intro (on the left).

Cheeers

J.J.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 07-11-2010, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Welcome. You are in an elite crowd, and I do not mean 911 ownership. You sir, bought an SC! Now you must join the Plot (see my sig)!

As to your question, first let me exonerate myself by saying I am by no means any sort of suspension expert. These cars were hand built and you will see some differences in body geometry. I believe most guys here will tell you the proper way to check your ride height is at the torsion bars on the rear, and, well, not sure on the front now. A corner balance/alignment at my local preferred shop is about 2-3 hours worth of labor (times whatever shop rate you get locally). I am getting ready to get one done myself - first time and everyone I talk to says it sure makes a difference. I have been waiting on mine as I am getting ready to put on a set of Bilstein HD's on all four corners, so ride height, balance and alignment will be due for sure.

As far as your lid adjustment, do a search with my user name (SCWDP911) and the search string of "rear decklid adjustment". Someone posted a procedure on a thread I started a while back.

Good luck with it. Enjoy the car in great health and post some pics before you get banned man!

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet

Last edited by SCWDP911; 07-11-2010 at 03:43 PM..
Old 07-11-2010, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
delkins,

I had the same question with my 87 Carrera.....my drivers side was higher than my passenger side although you don't say which side yours is on?

The resultant response from this absolutely fantastic forum and membership was not to worry. I too thought that a corner balance was needed, but I was soon convinced that 1/2" really is nothing...especially when you are not in the car.

just my opinion and as we all know, opinions are like an @rsehole.....everybody has one

1987 Carrera, Grand Prix White, 2009 Carrera C4S, Meteor Grey Metallic
(X) [B] 2011 BMW X5[B]
'Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts'
Old 07-11-2010, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
here you go, your first free search!

Yet another decklid alignment question

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 07-11-2010, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWDP911 View Post
Welcome. You are in an elite crowd, and I do not mean 911 ownership. You sir, bought an SC! Now you must join the Plot (see my sig)!

As to your question, first let me exonerate myself by saying I am by no means any sort of suspension expert. These cars were hand built and you will see some differences in body geometry. I believe most guys here will tell you the proper way to check your ride height is at the torsion bars on the rear, and, well, not sure on the front now. A corner balance/alignment at my local preferred shop is about 2-3 hours worth of labor (times whatever shop rate you get locally). I am getting ready to get one done myself - first time and everyone I talk to says it sure makes a difference. I have been waiting on mine as I am getting ready to put on a set of Bilstein HD's on all four corners, so ride height, balance and alignment will be due for sure.

As far as your lid adjustment, do a search with my user name (SCWDP911) and the search string of "rear decklid adjustment". Someone posted a procedure on a thread I started a while back.

Good luck with it. Enjoy the car in great health and post some pics before you get banned man!
thanks for the replys when i figure out how to update my stats i will put in profile, live in va beach va, this link is very helpful, yes will join the plot, let me try these pics

Old 07-11-2010, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Arrow So nice of you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWDP911 View Post
here you go, your first free search!

Yet another decklid alignment question
... Shane, to help a future potential SCWDP member

You should be please to see that I did not shy away from spelling out SC on Das Babe calling card.

Should you send me a copy of the SCWDP logo, I'll put it on the next version (awaiting for my Iphone 4 number).

BTW, I did installed your old roll bar and as you call it; a real PITA but going to the track Calabogie Motorsports Park next week

Cheers

J.J.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 07-11-2010, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: