Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Cracked spring plate mounts???

(Still) in the process of replacing all of my suspension bushings and noticed this just as I was about to press in the Elephant bushings:

Assuming the welds are cracked (actually I know they are) and need to be fixed - how thick is the metal around them? I'm hoping to get an idea of 1) how f'd am I and 2) what's around there that I need to worry about while welding?

TIA

Old 07-11-2010, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Sorry for the crappy pics - these should show it better:

Old 07-11-2010, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

That's not uncommon at all. It's actually the rubberized undercoating that is cracked.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hi Kurt - the back one may be just the undercoating, but the front one is definitely the weld. The pic doesn't "do it justice." I can see under the weld and feel a gap on the back side - I just couldn't capture it w/ the camera.

Any idea what's on the other side? Do I need to worry about interior carpet, etc? I'm hoping there's a void between the outer sheetmetal and the inner rear seat area. Anyone know for sure?
Old 07-11-2010, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Clean the area and re-weld

next question?
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 07-11-2010, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
So nothing behind there to worry about? Re-welding is pretty much a given (see below). I just want to make sure I'm not gonna set my interior on fire.

I also want to make sure it hasn't moved out of position. Or does that not matter, if I'm off by a little bit?
Old 07-11-2010, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Just zap it with the MIG (or TIG) welder and you'll be fine.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 07-11-2010, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

You shouldn't worry about any of your interior stuff. There's a good 3 inch space between that outer surface of the longitudinal and the interior panels. That ought to weld up all right. If you want to be sure to preserve the bolt spacing, you can see whether you can reach the crack with the spring plate cover bolted on. You just might be able to reach over the top to that crack. There really isn't much wiggle room there, and it's conceivable that welding will cause enough warpage to skew the alignment. I did some work on my spring plate mounts, and even doing as much as I could with the plate cover on, things were tight getting everything back together at the end.

Mike
restoration: mk911.blogspot.com
Old 07-11-2010, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks guys. Pulled out the mig and put 'er back together. Not the prettiest welding job I've done, but like Mike said - it's tight in there. Here are the end results, with a little "bling" thrown in for good measure:

Cheers again for the help and suggestions!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: