Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Big puff of oil smoke

Ok, car was nice and warm pushed the throttle to about 6000 rpm then had to let off quickly due to light change. A big puff of oil smoke pours out of the car!!!! Stayed running nice, no change in pressures and cleared up right away! This has never happened before and has scared the ever living s*&t out of me! Any ideas what is going on? The car is a stock 1982 3.0l sc coupe, only mod is the pre 74 ssi heat exchangers with no cat or pre muffler and a stainless M&K muffler. My first porsche and this is only my second full summer on the road with her.
Thanks
Mike

Old 07-11-2010, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My guess would be valve stem seals on exhaust side. I would ignore it until as long as possible, then replace seals. No harm will be done to engine except maybe oil gets dirty slightly quicker and some carbon build up on exhaust valves
Old 07-11-2010, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
It could be worn valve guides. Any idea how much mileage on the engine? Worn valve guides can cause a valve to fail. This could lead to severe engine damage.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Check the oil level in the tank when warm. Overflow from the tank can get ingested by the intake track and burned as part of the intake flow. If you lifted abruptly and stood on the brakes for the light, oil can get pushed to the top of the tank and into the intake via the vent to the airbox if the level is too high.

Lindy
Old 07-12-2010, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys

Hmmm... Should have mentioned that I had the engine out of the car to replace a busted rocker. guides felt good so left them alone she has almost 180 miles on her. Dont think I did anything wrong on my rocker replacement. Gosh I hope I didn't mess anything up!! I have driven her for 500 mile with no problem since.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Lindy

Oil level is at the high side but within marks.....running, level, and warm. But I did have to nose dive the car kinda hard right after a hard push on the throttle.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

MBruns for President

Garage
Hard acceleration and then immediate off throttle creates a vacuum when you use the engine to brake the car. If you have any - any play in the valve guides it will suck oil into the cylinders and create a mosquito fogger.

I always recommend people do this as a test for bad valve guides - works better if you have someone following you in a car with a video recorder.

Be sure and get the owner's OK before trying this...
Old 07-12-2010, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Jeremy D

Thanks. That makes sense. She is just a summer toy we have some long hard winters up here. Do you think it safe to finish the season out like this? or would you be pulling her down right away? I was planning on taking her through the black hills of South Dakota next week!! Just saw the posting of your new ride cant compare to your last one as Ive never seen it but it sure looks good and a nice light year! Good luck to you!

Mike
Old 07-12-2010, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Drive it -

just monitor your oil usage and start saving your pennies - planning for what you will do.

The 6000 run up to idle is about as extreme as you can get vacuum wise, especially in the lower gears.

when you get to the 400-600 miles per QT oil usage - or get tired of the smoke billowing at the stoplights - that's when I would fix it.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah that dump from 6000 to idle in first gear was NOT PLANNED!!! Thanks for your info! Feeling a little safer now!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: