Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Pedal Cluster Rebuild Gone Bad

I've just completed a rebuild of my pedal cluster and replacement of the clutch cable, clutch cable return spring and the omega spring on the gearbox.

I now have a problem that has me tearing (whats left of) my hair out!

My accelerator will not return the top of its travel causing the engine to race at about 3,000rpm. I have to pull the accelerator back about an inch to get the engine to return to idle.

I've checked the movement at the pedal linkage at the pedal cluster and there is absolutely no binding or stiction from the bushes. I've checked the bushes at the engine linkage area and they too have no binding or stiction. I've also checked the accelerator linkage pivot point in the gearbox and this too is ok. All the appropriate accelrator linkage springs are in place. The only place I can find any sort of resistance is with the accelerator linkage rod that travels up the transmission tunnel. All I can think of is that the new clutch cable is interfering with the linkage rod. I have tried pulling the linkage rod out, but it gets stuck and won't come out.

My question is, should this rod come out easily if it is disconnected at both ends? Does it make sense that the linkage rod is rubbing or dragging against the clutch cable?

'76 911 Carrera 3.0 (Gone, but not forgotten)
"Give me ambiguity or give me something else!"
Old 07-12-2010, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Sheldon, did you replace/fiddle/dislodge the 3 tunnel accelerator linkage bushes?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
...there are tunnnel bushes??

G'Day John, how you feeling? Over your flu?

How do you check these? I guess I noticed one at the firewall, a rubber cylindrical looking thing with a concertina dust cover.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Clutch cable is fouled. Pull it out and then test the throttle for proper action. If it goes to idle properly, your found the problem. Reinstall clutch cable making sure it goes in straight and does not wrap the throttle rod.

Lindy
Old 07-12-2010, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy 911 View Post
Clutch cable is fouled. Pull it out and then test the throttle for proper action. If it goes to idle properly, your found the problem. Reinstall clutch cable making sure it goes in straight and does not wrap the throttle rod.

Lindy
I agree, this is not uncommon when the clutch cable is replaced.

Jerry M
'78 SC
Old 07-12-2010, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys will give that a try!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: