Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 911 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/)
-   -   Need to do a front pan. Best source for sheetmetal? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/552756-need-do-front-pan-best-source-sheetmetal.html)

dtw 07-12-2010 07:18 AM

Need to do a front pan. Best source for sheetmetal?

So the last time I did any serious rust work on a 911 was my '72. That was 'back in the day' when Restoration Design was the place to shop. Since then, I have seen lots of threads about poor service from them. Then I saw some threads saying they were bought out, and under new management.

What's the deal? Got a friend's '70 coupe that needs a front pan job. Where should I order the pan and tank support? If RD is 'back', that'd be ideal - I see that they actually offer the correct '69-'73 tank support now, which would make life a lot easier.

Also, what's the current solution for front A-arm mount reinforcement while installing the pan?

Looking forward to sparking up a welder again...

Zeke 07-12-2010 07:32 AM

RD is in Canada now. I don't know if Wayne has re-instituted a relationship with them. If not, I'd buy from ********s. I think they have the Dansk ones.

Put an ad in for one floating around.

TRE Cup 07-12-2010 07:34 AM

Restoration Design is indeed back , with new owners. Responsive and fast service . They ship weekly for USA bound orders

911t Fanatic 07-12-2010 08:21 AM

I am also in the process of a pan replacement. I started a thread on it.

Hodgey 07-12-2010 09:17 AM

I just had mine done....expecting the car back today after I had some other work done.
I bought from St0dd@rds...the fit went well according to the shop.

I have the reeinforcing parts also...they weld over the A arm bushing area between the suspension pan and the fuel tank support

dtw 07-12-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodgey (Post 5450500)
I have the reeinforcing parts also...they weld over the A arm bushing area between the suspension pan and the fuel tank support

Need these! Got a p/n?

Hodgey 07-12-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtw (Post 5450505)
Need these! Got a p/n?

dtw;
Pt # is 901 501 427 21 GRV and I have 2 of them. They were bought for my 87 Carrera.

Where are you in NC?

Neil

dtw 07-12-2010 02:09 PM

Hi Neil - thanks for the part #s. I'm in Raleigh and the car in question is in Durham.

Also really glad to hear that RD is back to their former glory. From surfing their site, I can see they have added the rear package shelf and bulkhead parts to their inventory. Pretty reasonable prices, too, considering the complexity and size of the parts. Great news! Hopefully I have sawed my last rear deck out of a parts car...horrible job.

Hodgey 07-12-2010 02:12 PM

Are these any good to you?

If so, PM me and we'll sort out what needs to happen