Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question 1979 911SC- 6 degree advance timing for better performance

1979 911SC- 6 degree advance timing for better performance

So I have been reading a lot about torque and horsepower and there seems to be some common belief that the power of the 79 911SC can be increased by advancing the timing 6 degrees.

I have not ever looked into this, but thought it may be a good idea as I want more power. (Don't we all?)

what are all you tool heads thoughts on this?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Best place to find one's ideal is probably on a dyno as there are differences by year, by car, and different modifications like cat delete and fuel quality can have an effect.

Also, the factory builds in a safety margin as CIS dose not compensate well for environmental variations (hot day v cold day) and for other issues that may create variations between cars.

It is good to first step would probably be to make sure the car is in good maintaince and that the injectors are clean, pop at close to the same pressure, and have a balanced flow. Probably should also check spark plugs for balanced color.

Then do a dyno tune. Put it on a dyno, verify AFR's are at about 13/1 at wide open throttle in the TQ and HP peak range.

Start out at stock timing, do a base line pull.

Then do additional pulls and advance a couple of degrees each time to see if power improves.

Repeat as long as power is increasing. When the peak HP has been found or gains seem small, back off timing off some to allow a safety margin.

One could look into having the distributor recurved to possibly improve low end response (quicker advance?).

At least that is what I would do.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: