Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
V****x housing adventure!

Well, I had to end up replacing my fan housing due to a cracked support and the start of another crack on another. Originally the issue started with the replacement of my alternator when the other issues were found. I have owned this Targa for the past 5 years and I'm the 3 owner, so the first 2 owners had it for about 10 years each, give or take. Anyway, at first I tried to have my local speed shop/machine shop weld the one support but unfortunately they weren't able to have it done and the housing instead could not withstand the welding. So I don't have any before pics when I first pulled out the housing from the engine. Well, I tried at first to get a used part and after sending emails inquiring about the part, I could not get one. So, I decided to get the V****X housing since it states that is a perfect fit for cars 84 through 89. Well, we know that not everything is how is advertised sometimes. The VTX piece is made out of aluminum and it is a rough casting, it does shows some thickness on the supports. That is a good thing, but I'm not sure with anyone else who had gotten one, but at least mine was a bit too big to fit and somewhat to tight where the alternator goes in. So, I had to adjust the outside and also the inside as well. The following pics shows you the housing, which at the time of the pics I had already started to make the adjustments, then I paint it and finally installed it. Here are the pics:

As you can see this is the VTX housing and it is a rough cast. So, adjustments have to be made. At least that's what happened to me in this case. The top of the housing and where the alternator goes in needed to be adjusted for them to fit perfectly.

Here, I have already started to do my sanding using a belt sander with a 80 sand belt. Although this housing is for 84 through 89 cars, still they came with the holes for an 83 where the ignition coil will be placed. As you can see I had to sand the back portion of the housing.

Another problem was that the bottom side of the housing, you have the small square opening in which normally the notch on the block will line everythign up. Well, on my housing it was not perfectly set and I had to file a few MM's to have it just right. Once this was done then the housing lined up perfectly, but you will see in a bit.

Here is the notch and now you see. When I lined up the botton of the housing the top was off about 1 to 2 mm from the holes of the shroud on top. If I lined up the top then the bottom was off. So if you are going to tackle this on your own, then be ready to do sanding and keep fitting it until it is exactly where you want it.

Here I'm showing you that my new Valeo alternator (bought from our host) the fit was too tight. I did not wanted to force it in because if you have to take out, you would have to bang it out. It is supposed to fit a bit tight but you should be able to push it in without having to hammer it in. So this area needed to be sanded.

Here is the other area that needed a bit of adjustment as well. As you can see, this area I had already sand it and you can see how the alternator fit like it is supposed to.

Here is the alternator mounted with the original fan and painted to cover the roughness of the housing. I use 1500 degree semi gloss black and a hot rod red to which matched the guards red color of the car.

Here is the back of the housing and as you can see the alternator screws are showing very well. The back of the alternator is flush with the housing for a perfectly snug fit. Now is time to place the complete housing back to the car.

I apologize that I did not took pics of me put in the housing back, but I was some what solo doing this. My oldest son stopped by and gave me a hand when we were putting in the air deflector which goes in the back of the alternator housing and covers the back of the alternator. Out of the 6 nuts, you have 3 which you can put in outside before you are ready to place the housing in the engine. I made the mistake and try to put the nuts while trying to also position the housing and the air deflector. Although I got it done, it could have been easier.

Finally the job done and the Targa is back to normal. I road tested the car and checked everything to make sure that nothing was a miss. I happy to say that everything seems to be squared away so far. I rolled Saturday and Sunday and no issues at all. I wish I could have done this in a better and more explicit way, but I did not thought of it until the last minute. I also wanted to make sure that others that will venture on the DIY, know what to expect. If I can help in anyway let me know. Thanks and I hope you enjoyed it.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice job! I spent about 10 hours cleaning up my V***** housing. If it's any consolation, I bought another aftermarket aluminum housing from another vendor and it was much worse than the V*** unit. I sure wish someone with some good casting skills could make a decent one. I bet most people would be willing to pay OE price for one. Unfortunately high quality casting is rather expensive.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Nice job! I spent about 10 hours cleaning up my V***** housing. If it's any consolation, I bought another aftermarket aluminum housing from another vendor and it was much worse than the V*** unit. I sure wish someone with some good casting skills could make a decent one. I bet most people would be willing to pay OE price for one. Unfortunately high quality casting is rather expensive.
David, I agree with you. The VTX may not be that bad but again it was not perfect as advertised either. The one thing that is for sure, is that it is thick so it should last a long time. While I was making my adjustments, the aluminum feels solid so that is a good thing. If they only would clean it up right and do the proper fitment, I think it would be a whole lot better. Oh well! It is done now, so now is enjoyment time!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: