Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

charge ac or not

recently purchased a 82sc the ac needs charged is it worth the effort, as i have read the ac does not work well on these cars, i know it won't be ice cold, and really don't want to upgrade a whole new system as i have a targa anyway but would like it to function if possible

va beach va
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Used User

There are some simple and not too expensive upgrades before you spend money on refrigerant.

I'll let someone more familiar post a link to one of the many threads here.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You can have it converted to and charged with r134 for less than $200.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Used User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwest View Post
You can have it converted to and charged with r134 for less than $200.
Where?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

you can still get R-12 on a limited basis, and the hoses too.

I think a better question is whether your system needs work before a recharge.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Just my .02 cents worth...you've got a system almost 30 years old that probably didn't work real well when new. I would rather not say how much I've spent ($$$ and time) on my a/c system and with all of its current faults, it's likely as good as it will ever be. If your expectation is to have a "functioning" a/c system (i.e. it holds freon and will make a little cool air from time to time), you can patch up (i.e. pull a vacuum, fix any significant leaks and charge the system) what's there; if your definition of "functioning" is something closer to new Honda/Ford/Toyota, then you best get out your check book. It's a slippery slope.
2008 Honda Accord
2008 Ford Ranger
Old 07-13-2010, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by delkins View Post
recently purchased a 82sc the ac needs charged is it worth the effort, as i have read the ac does not work well on these cars, i know it won't be ice cold, and really don't want to upgrade a whole new system as i have a targa anyway but would like it to function if possible
Give the folks at Renaire a call.

You don't need a lot of upgrades .

The R134 has smaller molecules which make the system prone to leakage.
Also, runs on higher pressures.

Our A/C works quite well with R-12, but, within system limitation(s),
and evaporator freeze-up can be an issue.

All is stock, plus the additions of the Procooler, and a high flow evaporator.

40F-45F on a 85F day on the freeway.

With these settings.

You may pm me.

Good luck,

Gerry

In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 07-13-2010, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You could borrow a vacuum pump and gage set from AutoZone. Pull a vacuum and check it for leaks about 24 hours later. If it is not leaking, buy a lottery ticket because you are very lucky, then spend $20 at Big Lots for R-134A and recharge it. You may have to spend another $15 for compressor quick charge fittings to convert to R-134A. The older hoses will leak slowly over time so plan to add a can of refrigerant every few months or so.
A more likely scenario is that you will have leaks and it will be a PITA to fix them all. There are a lot of threads that talk about improving the A/C to better than original performance. It is just a matter of how much time and money you want to spend.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Here is another opinion. My 80 SC had a small amount of positive pressure in the system. I took a gamble and had some DuraCool (propane / isobutane mix) put in. Works VERY well. Stock system. Yes, the compressor is sort of lumpy. But I am not sweating.

Check the vacuum as above and move forward. BTW, my car has the stock front condensor but the fan doesn't work.
Good luck,
Larry
Old 07-13-2010, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Used User

When converting to R134a, don't you need to change the dryer? I think you should anyway. That's why I want to know how to get mine going for 200 bucks.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjockey View Post
You could borrow a vacuum pump and gage set from AutoZone. Pull a vacuum and check it for leaks about 24 hours later. If it is not leaking, buy a lottery ticket because you are very lucky, then spend $20 at Big Lots for R-134A and recharge it. You may have to spend another $15 for compressor quick charge fittings to convert to R-134A. The older hoses will leak slowly over time so plan to add a can of refrigerant every few months or so.
A more likely scenario is that you will have leaks and it will be a PITA to fix them all. There are a lot of threads that talk about improving the A/C to better than original performance. It is just a matter of how much time and money you want to spend.
Why not simply spend the $35 bucks for the new fittings and R-134a.

If it works initially but isn't working a week later then that's the time to begin trouble-shooting.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

wwest, as I understand it (I am no expert) you should always pull a vacuum to get any air out of the system before adding refrigerant. You also want to check for large leaks with a vacuum before adding refrigerant so it doesn't leak right out into the atmosphere. Autozone and others will sell the vacuum pump and gage set then refund the full price when you return it. They call it a tool loan program.
milt, I would also change the receiver/dryer because they are very inexpensive (ackits.com) For that matter it is also a good idea to flush the system of the old oil (mineral oil) and start by adding a known quantity of oil (ester or Pag) before recharging.
I live in Atlanta and think it is worth the problems of keeping the A/C working. If I lived in Canada I probably wouldn't bother with it. It's also a bit of a hobby for me to work on the car when I have the time. If you would rather just pay someone to do the work it probably wouldn't be worth the cost of fixing it.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

i know a very good porsche mechanic that did nothing to his r12 sytem in his 930 except fix the leak/s and charge with 134. this was more than 5 years ago and it is still working fine.

if a system needs a charge, there is a reason, it leaks. finding the leak is the hard part. you could put some dye in there and put in a can or 2 of 134. if you cant find the leak, chances are it is the evaporator. replace the expasion valve if you have to get in there for that.

if it was me, i would putr12 back in there. you can get it on ebay. i have a few cans still from when i bought some on ebay. the only thing i have left with r12 is my truck, but that has a bad metal line and i cant seem to find another one. i was going to put the ac back in the 911 but since i have been driving the 325, (COLD AC) i dont think i will.

you could also put dye in and charge it with nitrogen.

milt, ithink that $200 recharge is just that. pull out the old, perhaps a flush and charge with 134.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 07-14-2010, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousone940 View Post
Just my .02 cents worth...you've got a system almost 30 years old that probably didn't work real well when new. I would rather not say how much I've spent ($$$ and time) on my a/c system and with all of its current faults, it's likely as good as it will ever be. If your expectation is to have a "functioning" a/c system (i.e. it holds freon and will make a little cool air from time to time), you can patch up (i.e. pull a vacuum, fix any significant leaks and charge the system) what's there; if your definition of "functioning" is something closer to new Honda/Ford/Toyota, then you best get out your check book. It's a slippery slope.
yes i know it will not work as well as toyo or any other, my wrench told me these ac systems never worked well anyway, and make them run hotter which is not good, had a 944 upgraded compressor etc it still didn't work well either, don't think i'll worry about it for now, my heater duct line needs changed so will need to pull comp to get it out will probably just leave it out, was thinking of putting a duck tail on in the future, so no need to put the coil on the engine lid back on if i have no ac, don't wont to pull the complete system out, is it ok just to leave the lines and cap off, so if i ever sell it will be easy to put stuff back.......

thanks for the responses

va beach va
Old 07-14-2010, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjockey View Post
wwest, as I understand it (I am no expert) you should always pull a vacuum to get any air out of the system before adding refrigerant. You also want to check for large leaks with a vacuum before adding refrigerant so it doesn't leak right out into the atmosphere. Autozone and others will sell the vacuum pump and gage set then refund the full price when you return it. They call it a tool loan program.
milt, I would also change the receiver/dryer because they are very inexpensive (ackits.com) For that matter it is also a good idea to flush the system of the old oil (mineral oil) and start by adding a known quantity of oil (ester or Pag) before recharging.
I live in Atlanta and think it is worth the problems of keeping the A/C working. If I lived in Canada I probably wouldn't bother with it. It's also a bit of a hobby for me to work on the car when I have the time. If you would rather just pay someone to do the work it probably wouldn't be worth the cost of fixing it.
Having air in the system would be to presume that a leak exists, a leak so bad that the refrigerant pressure has gone ~negative. "Leaking" R-134a is said to be not detrimental to our atmosphere.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: