Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Early Blaupunkt radio repair?

I just found an old radio for my early 1969 911. It works great, but has a cracked dial scale. Doe anybody know where I can find a replacement. It pops out with a screwdriver, and I'll post pics tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 06:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mark S

Post pic I may have what you need.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Blaupunkt radio w/ Pics

Here is what I have. It looks kind of ratty in the pics, but it actually cleaned up like it is brand new (except for the busted dial scale). I've researched the part number I found on it, and it appears this radio was used in 1969-'71 Mercedes and some porsches. It is a little unusual in that it is AM, FM, and SW (short wave?) Whatever the SW is, it sounds like Im tuning in to peoples phone calls; wierd, but it does work. I can tune in all the local AM, FM channels, and the sound quality is really good on my workshop bench (but that's comming from quality modern speakers, which I will use in the car, if I can fix the dial scale. The electronics on these things are so simple, I have already figured out how to wire in a remote i-Pod port, which I'll probably mount inside the dash.

I'm putting wood trim on the dash, and I think the clasic radio with an i-pod doc in the dash will be a nice touch. I've also considered taking a high res photo of the dial scale and photoshoping in the missing pieces, then having it printed onto a new piece of plastic and cutting to fit. The only difference would be that the original numbers/lettering are etched into the plastic, but most people would never notice that.

Any other Ideas on the dial scale would be much appreciated

Old 09-21-2010, 01:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mark S

Yes, I have one that appears exact less breakage . Advise size via PM to confirm dimensions. It's yours gratis if fits.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It measures 9cm long by 2.5cm tall. Thanks for the kind offer. I'll send a PM and try to return the favor if you're looking for anything yourself.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mark S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69BahamaYellow View Post
It measures 9cm long by 2.5cm tall. Thanks for the kind offer. I'll send a PM and try to return the favor if you're looking for anything yourself.
Yep I have exactly what you need and your very welcome. No need for favor just pay forward to someone. Mark S
Old 09-22-2010, 07:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
zioo

Garage
There's a German Auto audio repair guy in North Hollywood. You can get his name from North Hollywood Speedometer--zioo
Old 09-22-2010, 05:56 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hi, does anyone have a radio like this Blaupunkt "Z" model KDB 971 803 for sale??
I'm looking for one like this that is ATR and +/-, and 6/12 volt.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg123 View Post
Hi, does anyone have a radio like this Blaupunkt "Z" model KDB 971 803 for sale??
I'm looking for one like this that is ATR and +/-, and 6/12 volt.

Thanks
Maybe check on the EarlyS Registry site Early 911S Registry

Lots of good info on the early 911 there.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio installed

I move pretty slow with upgrades these days, but here is the final installed radio. Again special thanks to Shoepop for supplying a replacement dial guage. I found a site that gave instructions for making an aux input adapter cable so I can run my iPod into this old radio, and it works like a champ. Just plug in the iPod and it recognizes the aux input signal and internally switches to it. The sound quality is excellent. When you unplug the ipod, the radio switches back to whatever you were listening to before. I put the ipod (aux input) jack in the glovebox.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

That looks great! It is gratifying to see vintage retro radio head units come back to life. Perfect example to reuse, reuse, recycle.

Now stop playing with radio settings and your ipod...concentrate on the driving!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: