Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

i knew it would happen eventually...

i was driving out to my parents today for our annual clam bake and got stopped by a real dick of a cop on the way there at 5:15pm. as i was stopped waiting for him i took out my license, insurance car and my friend of the police card that a really nice guy i used to work with gave me. he looked at it all and immediately gave me back everything but my license and told me to wait in the car.

13 minutes later (i was watching the clock with nothing else to do) he came back to my window and told me to get out of the car, which
completely baffled me.

cop - do you own this vehicle?

me - yes

cop - get out of the vehicle.

me - why?

cop - i am not asking you i am TELLING you, get OUT OF THE CAR!

so i get out...

cop - turn around and place your hands on the vehicle.

me - (in utter disbelief) what?

cop - I WILL NOT TELL YOU AGAIN. turn around and place your hands on the car!

so i do and he frisks the **** out of me. i swear he knew what brand of underware i was wearing after it was over. obviously i have nothing on me, so he then goes on...

cop - have you been drinking today? i can smell alcohol on you.

me - sir, i do not drink and have not had a drink in over 3 years.

cop - oh, so you are a recovering alcoholic?

me - no, i worked in bars for years and saw firsthand what drinking can do. why would you assume i am an alcoholic?

so then he administers a few field sobriety tests on me, all of which i pass with no problem. apparently this isn't good enough so he grabs a breathalizer and makes me use it, which comes out a 0.000. this seemed to piss him off more.

cop - i can smell alcohol (blatant lie) but you somehow passed all the tests. i stopped you because i have you on radar doing 56 in a 50mph zone. (here comes the real reason behind all this). just because you have a porsche does not give you license to speed on public roads. this is a street, not a racetrak.

well, that put me over the edge and i stopped holding my tongue.

me - just because you carry a gun and drive a police car does not give you the right to act like an dickhead when you feel like it. what was your reason for removing me from my car and frisking me?

cop - excuse me? what did you just say?

me - i said, just because you carry a gun and drive a police car does not give you the right to act like a dickhead when you feel like it. what was your reason for removing me from my car and frisking me?

cop - did you just call me a dickhead?

me - no, i said you don't have the right to act like one.

cop - do you want to go to jail?

me - if you have a valid reason to incarcerate me then by all means please follow s.o.p. if not then my sister the attorney will have a field day and most likely your badge before everything is over based on the methods you have employed during this routine traffic stop.

cop - sit in your car and wait for me to return.

19 minutes (again, nothing to do but watch the clock) after that he returns to my car with a ticket in his hand. the prick gave me a ticket for 6 miles over the speed limit and tried to tell me that a court appearance was mandatory. he got even more pissed when i informed him that i have not had a moving violation in over 10 years and this ticket is waiverable. i started the car, drove off and flipped him the bird as i exited his city limits, 20 yards further down the road. it's *******s like this who give the police a bad name. 5pm, 4 lane road, no traffic, sunny day and he cites me for a 6mph violation. i bet if this had happened earlier in the month, or in my dodge neon, i would not have a ticket right now.

He is.... nineball. I don't always drive sports cars, but when I do I drive a 1983 911SC Targa. Stay fast my friends.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
You've got guts to say what you did. I would say file a complaint but you know that will do nothing and you will be a marked man from then on. Illegitimi Non Carborundom.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You broke the first rule of situation mgmt when you had all paperwork ready.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
(Former 1968Cayman)

I know there are likely some good-natured cops that frequent this board . . . and I hate stereotyping . . . but I believe the majority of cops are dicks. The ones I knew in Tennessee all used illegal drugs, drank while driving (and we're not talking about two or three beers here), used their police power for coercion and many were involved in domestic violence incidents. I had one park outside my house for five hours because he believed I was sleeping with his ex-girlfriend. I was, but he had no right to follow me around town and make threats. He was trashed the whole night, too.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Stop fronting.

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ntrylvl Send a message via Skype™ to ntrylvl
I think dickhead sums it up well.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnutzzz View Post
You broke the first rule of situation mgmt when you had all paperwork ready.

i don't follow your logic mate. i have lots of friends who are LEO and they all say the same thing - if you are pulled over, turn off the car, turn on interior lights (if at night), have your id/insurance/whatever else ready to go and place your hands back on the steering wheel. it is supposed to put the cop at ease and hopefully he realizes that he is not in any immediate danger from a psycho killer behind the wheel.
He is.... nineball. I don't always drive sports cars, but when I do I drive a 1983 911SC Targa. Stay fast my friends.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
i don't follow your logic mate. i have lots of friends who are LEO and they all say the same thing - if you are pulled over, turn off the car, turn on interior lights (if at night), have your id/insurance/whatever else ready to go and place your hands back on the steering wheel. it is supposed to put the cop at ease and hopefully he realizes that he is not in any immediate danger from a psycho killer behind the wheel.
You only do what they ask- and they didn't ask for anything at that point. To me, having it all ready implies guilt. I never have it ready. I use the time to retrieve everything to give him enough clues that I'm not worth his time. That time you use to grab everything is when you build your relationship and create his perception of you.

Works like a champ.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnutzzz View Post
You only do what they ask- and they didn't ask for anything at that point. To me, having it all ready implies guilt. I never have it ready. I use the time to retrieve everything to give him enough clues that I'm not worth his time. That time you use to grab everything is when you build your relationship and create his perception of you.

Works like a champ.

the first thing out of his mouth was to ask for my id and insurance card.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I've gotten pulled over 4 times in just over a year in my 911 (that's more than the past 20 years in any and all other cars). I haven't had a drink in 19 years. One ticket (doing 70 in a 55 - work zone knocked down) and 3 warnings. The last guy was a park ranger that said he was haulin ass to catch me (yes, he was). He ended up asking me all about the car etc... he was a german car nut.
Sucks you got a dickhead, they're out there, but I've found most to be pretty cool.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I've been pulled over many times(always my fault but no alcohol related incidents). I do stupid things totally sober!!

Anyway, only once did I get an officer that was a meathead. He was new and trying to make a name for himself in our town.

We had words and I ended up going to jail for "threatening a peace officer". pfft Whatever.

Sorry to hear about your experience, Kris. As much as it would probably make you feel better, you may just want to pay the fine versus fighting the ticket and having to see Officer Whatshisnuts in court.

Wayne
Old 10-30-2010, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Band.

Send a message via AIM to Gogar
Quote:
if you are pulled over, turn off the car, turn on interior lights (if at night), have your id/insurance/whatever else ready to go and place your hands back on the steering wheel.
I've done that. You know what happens?

Quote:
it is supposed to put the cop at ease and hopefully he realizes that he is not in any immediate danger from a psycho killer behind the wheel.
Wrong. He IMMEDIATELY pulls you out of the car and he says:

"Why did you place your hands on the wheel? Obviously you've been in this situation before. Are you a felon? Mind if I look in the car?

And then, 90 minutes later, you go on your way, Sober, never done drugs EVER, with your car TRASHED, and a ticket for <10mph over.
1973 Honda CB350F
Old 10-30-2010, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
You weren't dressed like Rick James in the 80's, were you???
Old 10-30-2010, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SCOTITUDE
u just got a dickhead. they are everywhere, in every profession. I say fight the ticket. tell the ADA your story. just so the dickhead has to justify his actions. And maybe, if this is not the first time he has been a dickhead, his boss will get wind of his antics and sit on his a**. what have u got to lose.
1980 911SC #99 track car, 993 3.6, 50 PMO's
2001 BMW 330Ci Vert DD
2019 Tahoe
2015 SL400 wifey DD
2014 Unmarked Explorer "company car"
Old 10-30-2010, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Maybe it's time that people who get pulled over need to have a video cam...should this go to court, it'll be his word against yours, and I'll give you one guess who the judge will believe.

9ball...you play the game?
Old 10-30-2010, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Why didn't you let him be a cop? And why didn't you treat him with respect and play your role as a citizen?

Just my 2 cents but... We need to support the police and assist them in any way we can.
WHY??? Because we would be stuffed without an effective Police force.

No one likes a smart a$$... And cops meet a lot of them everyday. Why present yourself one as well?

The guy doesn't know you. It's not personal... He singled you out because you drove a 911... So why act up to the stereotype and reinforce his beliefs?

When I get pulled... I address them as sir or madam and follow their directions accordingly.
If I meet a d%ck then I treat them the same way. Don't let their attitude affect yours. Smile and be polite... Don't BS them because that's what everyone does.

A cop knows from bitter experience that most of the people they deal with lie to them. It really does get monotonous....
Old 10-30-2010, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
When I get pulled over I always get out of the car before they get to my door. I was told that being on the same eye level as them stops the power situation and creates a level playing field.

It has worked for most of the times I have been pulled over and even if they have written me a ticket it has been for a lower level.

However I have encountered 2 Dickheads in my time and there was no way they would listen to reason.

Michael
Old 10-31-2010, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I'm glad somebody finally decides to stand up to cops like this. Its one thing if you started out being an a-hole or if you had a felony record 5 pages long, then I can see why he would be like that. But from what you wrote you were being just a regular citizen. Cops SERVE and PROTECT the people of the community, not disrespect and treat them like a criminal. All cops say the same threat of "do you want to go to jail". Most people say no and will be quiet, but you know that you broke no law other than speeding, you didnt make any threats on his life, he had no valid reason that I can see, to arrest you, and you reminded him to follow S.O.P's which he probably wasnt. So I thank you for speaking your mind. You do have the first ammendment right to do so.

I would have requested his supervisor come out after the field sobriety and breathalyzer test, then explain to the Supervisor what happened and why you requested him to go out there.

Last edited by AFD660; 10-31-2010 at 01:04 AM..
Old 10-31-2010, 12:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walko View Post
When I get pulled over I always get out of the car before they get to my door. I was told that being on the same eye level as them stops the power situation and creates a level playing field.

It has worked for most of the times I have been pulled over and even if they have written me a ticket it has been for a lower level.

However I have encountered 2 Dickheads in my time and there was no way they would listen to reason.

Michael
I live in Miami if you hop out of your car when pulled over you will get shot. They have had several cops shot in traffic stops here every time the felon jumped out and started shooting. if i am ever pulled over on the turnpike i usually suggest we do the ticket writing standing on the other side of the guard rail so that he doesn't get run over. They usually relax and act OK then. that was in other cars never had a ticket so far in my turbo they usually just want to loOK at the car then tell me to slow down.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 10-31-2010, 01:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I did a bit more research about what happened because the 10 percent of pigs like this piss me off, and ruin it for the other 90 percent of good, decent police officers. I am by no means a lawyer or legal person but I do know basic rights. Do with this information what you please.

In the case of Terry vs Ohio (1968). For their own protection cops have the right to perform a QUICK SURFACE SEARCH of the persons outer clothing for weapons, IF THEY HAVE REASONABLE SUSPICION THAT THE PERSON THEY STOPPED IS ARMED. This reasonable suspicion must be based on specific and articuable fact and not mearly on an officers hunch.

In justifying the particular intrusion the police officer must be able to point to specific and articulable facts which, taken together with rational inferences from those facts, reasonably warrant the intrusion.... there must be a narrowly drawn authority to permit a reasonable search for weapons for the protection of the police officer, where he has reason to believe that he is dealing with an armed and dangerous individual, regardless of whether he has probable cause to arrest the individual for a crime.

So unless you were being provoking or threating, acting suspicious or you have a felony in which you cant carry or have a gun. I dont think he had any right to search you. Theres a reason why police ask if you have any illegal contriban or if you have any dangerous weapons. I dont know they details of what happend only what you have written on here, but in my opinion of what I have read I think that he violated your 4th ammendment rights against unwarranted and unreasonable searches and seizures. Maybe a request for a copy of the patrol car dash cam and audio recording, then a letter written to the officer and his chain of command all the way to the Chief of Police and maybe even to city council, that this officer needs to LEARN THE LAW in order to be able to ENFORCE THE LAW.

I dont think you need to go for this guys badge or job or anything. But you're just stating you know your rights and that the officers themselves are not above the law. Bad thing is that all the cops will be looking for a Porsche 911, but who knows you're ticket might even be thrown out for doing 56 in a 50... LOL...
Old 10-31-2010, 02:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I know a State Trooper who hates Porsches. With a passion. Mostly I expect, because they are capable of going so fast, and he has seen a lot of them doing in excess of 120 +.

I was fortunate yesterday, in that I was pulled over for doing 73 in a 55. The officer asked me if I knew what he pulled me over for, and I said, ''I guess I got carried away there.'' He said ''Excuse me ?'', and I said, '' I admit I got a little carried away there.''. It was a long open stretch of highway over a mile long. He checked my record and let me go. I expect he knew that I could have easily been doing well over 100 on that stretch without endangering anyone.

If I got a ticket for six over, I would go to court, and simply say that it was not my intention to speed, and that I thought I was within the law.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: