Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil pressure problems; Canton Mecca

Car is a 74 with RS spec 2.7 more or less. I've run Canton Mecca oil filters for about 4 years now at perhaps a total of 25 track events. Pulling the current filter out for replacement I got surprised with this.

The oil collects on the outside of the filter and is pulled/pushed thru to the inside then back into the tank.
Obviously a giant amount of pressure has been applied. Since the CM filters have no bypass, the oil just pushed the inside filter support out of the way. It seems highly likely this is not the fault of the filter but of something going on in my motor which, by the way, seems fine although there are more aluminum flakes on the filter than previously. Anyone have a clue as to what's going on? Can the oil pressure relief system fail and send the pressure to the roof somehow? Could this happen momentarily then not occur again? I have no clue as to when this happened; three months ago or yesterday. But it seems to have been something temporary. Don't remember any huge overrevving which might load the filter, and I'm very careful with a cold motor. Any other candidates?
73 Targa (gone but not forgotten)
Old 12-07-2010, 03:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

After a lot of head scratching, verdict is it must have been the result of revving too high with cold oil. So, though I like the idea of the more effective no-bypass CM filter, I'm going back to the stock Mahle.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You might want to read through this thread. Could it be too much cold oil because thermostat is stuck open?

Oil filter leak (massive)
Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Good thought, and thanks for the reference to the thread I have not seen before. We'll check.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 12-16-2010, 01:14 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: