Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Mo money = mo parts

Garage
Maintenance Plan

I had compiled this maintenance plan from a great thread (below) and was asked to post. The thread posts weren't all in the exact same format, so in some cases I was interpreting the post. In other cases, I was supplying missing information. I thought I would share my list. It isn't complete, but it's a start. If anyone cares to contribute to the list, I will be happy to update it. Please don't hesitate to tell me the intervals are incorrect. For now, consider it a work in progress.

You can create a local spreadsheet copy by highlighting all the spreadsheet cells starting in the upper left and dragging to the lower right, then right click and choose copy. Then just open a spreadsheet and click paste in the first row of the first column and choose paste. It should paste all the content and the formatting in the proper cells.

PS - If you would like to add an item and you have a "how to" or "why this interval" thread, please provide it and I will embed it in the spreadsheet.

PSS - For now, I will hang on the ownership of the spreadsheet, but would be happy to turn it over to Wayne or one of the moderators if they have any interest.

Long Term and Commonly Neglected Maintenance Thread

86 Coupe (stock - pretty much like Butzi designed it)
65 Ducati Monza 250 & 66 Monza Junior (project)
"if you are lucky enough to own a Porsche, you are lucky enough"

Last edited by gregwils; 12-08-2010 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Spreadsheet Tip
Old 12-08-2010, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
French Import

Garage
Air filter replacement interval?

Do you have the spreadsheet somewhere to be downloaded?

Happiness is not having a Porsche in the garage... Happiness is having a Porsche on the road!
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, 2011 BMW 1200RT, 03 Saab 93 Cabriolet, 06 MB E350 Estate
Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Good Work, Greg!

You may be the winner of this year's "Grady Award"

Last edited by RWebb; 12-08-2010 at 11:27 AM..
Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
muck-raker

crap....I've been adjusting my valves every 15K, not 10K. I hope I'm not screwing the pooch.

Deny Everything; Admit Nothing; and Always Make Counter-accusations
Old 12-08-2010, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing, Greg.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
crap....I've been adjusting my valves every 15K, not 10K. I hope I'm not screwing the pooch.
IMO (and in the opinion of the factory) 15K is fine. 15K is the factory spec for the valves.

The list is great, but IMO it's a little aggressive on the maintenance for most of the items (and some if it way too much), at least for the SC/Carrera era cars. They don't really require that much.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mo money = mo parts

Garage
Air filter added, Valve adjustment changed to 15k.

Thanks for the suggestion Randy.

I prefer to think of the intervals as "conservative" as opposed to aggressive, but I am happy to adjust. I'm not a possessive person, I would rather see this owned by the forum than me.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
muck-raker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwils View Post
Air filter added, Valve adjustment changed to 15k.
cue, ***sigh of relief***.

Great list, I'm downloading it for future reference. Great thread and great effort, thanks for taking the time and effort to make this happen.

Deny Everything; Admit Nothing; and Always Make Counter-accusations
Old 12-09-2010, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

How about:
wax 1 yr
wheel alignment 1 yr
check/replace brake pads and rotors 10,000 mi
check exhaust system for leaks/damage 10,000 mi
adjust headlights 10,000 mi
replace spark plug wires 50,000 mi
Old 12-09-2010, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
What a great spreadsheet. I would like a copy too.

1987 Black 911 3.2 Carrera Coupe
1999 Green Mazda MX5 (SOLD)
Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Is this an available "cloud" document on something like Google docs? It would be a great thing to put up for the public domain!

Great work!
Michael
-- '01 Audi S4 (Sold)
-- '17 Tesla Model S60
Old 12-09-2010, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
French Import

Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
IMO (and in the opinion of the factory) 15K is fine. 15K is the factory spec for the valves.

The list is great, but IMO it's a little aggressive on the maintenance for most of the items (and some if it way too much), at least for the SC/Carrera era cars. They don't really require that much.
What about this:
How not to add 5-6 quarts of oil at a Chevron station while some hot chick is checking me out so my car won't smoke, Once a week?

Happiness is not having a Porsche in the garage... Happiness is having a Porsche on the road!
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, 2011 BMW 1200RT, 03 Saab 93 Cabriolet, 06 MB E350 Estate
Old 12-09-2010, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Mo money = mo parts

Garage
I haven't made any further adjustments yet, been a busy day. I will get to it over the weekend. I created a Google Docs spreadsheet, but here is a link to automatically download it as a Microsoft Excel (.xls) format. Google Docs is very cool if you haven't tried it yet. As soon as I make a change in the spreadsheet, it automatically updates the spreadsheet in the first thread.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AuRAaQ6fU5_3dDdBcmVua1poU0NSSFE2aXR4UEtTU lE&hl=en_GB&output=xls

Old 12-09-2010, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Only car with a condenser is 64-68 and 1969 911T
Seems a little strange- your clutch cable replacement is lower than clutch adjustment, you would always adjust the clutch when you replace the cable

Other than those nits, great sheet!
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 12-09-2010, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Mo money = mo parts

Garage
Good catch on the clutch adjustment vs cable replacement. Adjustment changed to 10,000, not sure if that is correct Also made condensor replacement a separate line with the year/model you specified. Is 10k reasonable for condensor and clutch adjustment?

Old 12-10-2010, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
it all depends! one usually needs to adjust the clutch soon after repl. b/c of cable stretch, then it might go a long while until another adj.

you could put it as check/adj.

BTW - the original thread was mostly long term stuff - > 10k, so a lot may be missing

pretty sure regular stuff for early cars at least will be in the files I sent you tho
Old 12-10-2010, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Keeping an old 911 on the road can be a daunting task when you look at it this way (the chart).
George, Architect
Old 12-10-2010, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

This is a great list. Thanks Greg.

Bumping to check for any updates, download your most awesome spreadsheet and subscribe.
......and a minivan for the crew
Old 06-05-2011, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Replace spark plugs at 10K miles? Not likely. These expensive plugs last 50,000 miles.
Drain and clean fuel tank? Never.
Replace front control arm busing? Only when they squeak.

Good list, but overdone for a maintenance program.

My list is:
oil once a year
oil filter once a year
valve adjustment at 15K
Gear oil at 30K or 2 years
brake fluid every 2 years
and repair everything else as they come up
Disposable Car: BMW 530xiT, Audi A3S
Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Mo money = mo parts

Garage
The manufacturer is the most valid source for maintenance, but no manufacturer creates a 25 to 30 year maintenance plan. As a result, it's going to be subject to opinion from don't fix it until it breaks to the anal retentive.

The only advantage to an anal retentive list is that it is easier to delete items from the list if you disagree than to think of every conceivable item. I did state earlier that the list is conservative, meaning that it leans toward too much, not too little. It's beginning to feel like a political or religious opinion which was not the intent. I just compiled it from another thread and added some of my own feelings. It's out there as a spreadsheet that anyone can download if they so choose and adjust to their preferences.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: