Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.77 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rauh Welt Begriff

This subject has taken a turn for the worst in the other thread with most people wondering "Where's the beef?" when it comes to Rauh Welt. All for no function, or track machines with a sense of style? Since the other thread is 9 pages long I didn't want this info to get lost in there.

I'm a obviously a fan of RWB so instead of trying to change anyones opinion on the cars or tell you that they're the greatest invention since the slap chop. I figured I'd try to answer some of the questions since companies like Ruf, TechArt, and Gemballa's info can easily be found online while RWB info is damn near impossible. This isn't meant to be a hatefest between "newbs" and "purists" like the other thread was. It's intended to just be a bit of info on another one of the many great Porsche builders. I've gathered some of the interviews, videos, and pictures for you to see if you're interested.

http://www.rauh-welt-kansai.com/index.html

Rauh Welt is a tuning shop outside of Tokyo that builds Porsche's. Parts are made for RWB and installed on the cars while the engine work for full builds are outsourced to Promodet (http://www.promodet.co.jp/). Nakai's primary interest is building functional track cars that also look good. His cars are built to suit his style and many find them to be a love/hate sort of deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buizliyJYIk
Eurotuner Article:
Bridgestone Tires - Eurotuner Magazine

Shop Profile:
CAR BUILDER>>RAUH WELT - Speedhunters
Meet Japan’s RAUH-Welt | 0-60 Magazine

A little history of RWB's Nakai
PAPERCUTS> Before Rauh Welt, it was ROUGH WORLD.

The RWB 911 and shop owner Nakai's Personal car with some build specs.
2100lbs, 360HP, Japanese Street Legal, PMO Carbed, Promodet engine, RWB Coilovers, Brakes, and Wheels.

CAR FEATURE>>RWB NAKAI PORSCHE 930 - Speedhunters

To give you an idea of how fast it is. This car runs in the mid 58's at Tsukuba circuit. The current track record for an NA car is in the 57's. The current production car record AFIK is that of a Radical SR4 1.2 at 1.00. Times around that circuit are 997 GT2 1:03, 1:04 for an R34 skyline, 1:01 for an R35 GTR, e92 M3 1:05.

As you can see by the times his car is very fast. All of the cars were tested by Best Motoring with profesional drivers on like tires. His car isn't the fastest of the RWB cars and many of them run sub 1 minute at Tsukuba.

Build quality of a street car. I know this is long but this will give you an idea of one of two near identical builds Nakai has done on two cars that are Daily driven in Japan. (Ignore ****ty techno music in a couple of videos)

YouTube - RWB GREEN PORSCHE FROM JAPAN 1
YouTube - RWB GREEN PORSCHE FROM JAPAN 2
YouTube - RWB GREEN PORSCHE FROM JAPAN 3
YouTube - RWB GREEN PORSCHE FROM JAPAN 4

Video's of the cars on the streets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a_JbNy0hRk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwM9FBuUPFY&feature=related
YouTube - MVI_0361.MOV
YouTube - MVI_0364.MOV

RWB Cars
CAR FEATURE>>RWB CUSTOMER MACHINES - Speedhunters
GALLERY>>RWB PRIVATE DAY AT TSUKUBA - Speedhunters

Cars on track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOaz3jIDCnA&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsZk6T0OAlQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uObUUGrsqi0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUBethk42vI
This is an ae86 not 911
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApN8NYsuKgM

Last edited by 5:04; 12-14-2010 at 08:20 PM..
Old 12-12-2010, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Great post, Kevin
Old 12-12-2010, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the lesson on what going on in other parts of the 'porsche' world. It just goes to show, there's a lot going on out there that you don't hear about. Hell, we don't even see alot about what's going on in the german porsche world!

As far as the negativity, good on you for ignoring it. RWB maybe isn't my thing, but they sure are some pretty cool builds. Post more as you find it!

Mama lock your daughters up that wild bunch is back in town!...And them little girls get frisky when they hear that race-car sound!
Old 12-12-2010, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

good post......no love or hate ....just info............thanks
1965 Ford Galaxie
1968 GMC Pickup
Old 12-12-2010, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5:04 View Post

Build quality of a street car. I know this is long but this will give you an idea of one of two near identical builds Nakai has done on two cars that are Daily driven in Japan. (Ignore ****ty techno music in a couple of videos)

YouTube - RWB GREEN PORSCHE FROM JAPAN 1
YouTube - RWB GREEN PORSCHE FROM JAPAN 2
YouTube - RWB GREEN PORSCHE FROM JAPAN 3
YouTube - RWB GREEN PORSCHE FROM JAPAN 4

YouTube - idlers Games 20080823 NOJIREAL
One of the first things I noticed in the bit of the first vid that I watched is that car has a rear bumper intended for Dual exhaust, but only has a single. I think that may be part of people's problems with the cars - a lot of effort put into pumping them, up, but some lost in the details.

Personally I don't want one of the cars but think many of them look quite good. And at least some of them are fast - probably faster han many of the detractors.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I think the title "line starts here" stunk it up for a lot of people. A bit loaded with bravado for a company that is not that well known in this part of the world. Had the title been more humble, it might have made a difference.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

To me it just looks like a street legal race car. Not sure why there is so much hype. If you go to the race track and Porsches are running you will see dozens of cars that will match these in looks and performance.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart1 View Post
One of the first things I noticed in the bit of the first vid that I watched is that car has a rear bumper intended for Dual exhaust, but only has a single. I think that may be part of people's problems with the cars - a lot of effort put into pumping them, up, but some lost in the details.

Personally I don't want one of the cars but think many of them look quite good. And at least some of them are fast - probably faster han many of the detractors.
I agree, that and the engine looks out of place with how dirty it is and how clean the outside is. I think the base kit is designed for dual pipes and many of the cars run different exhaust set ups. This is obviously the same, and you're right that it would clean it up to have had one opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsoR View Post
I think the title "line starts here" stunk it up for a lot of people. A bit loaded with bravado for a company that is not that well known in this part of the world. Had the title been more humble, it might have made a difference.
You're right about that, and neither this thread nor that thread were meant to take away from the great tuners or the great users on this forum. I think the op of the other thread was just a little over zealous in his thread and didn't mean for it to offend or come off the way it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Bob View Post
To me it just looks like a street legal race car. Not sure why there is so much hype. If you go to the race track and Porsches are running you will see dozens of cars that will match these in looks and performance.
They do have that look, and I think that's the allure. However I've gone to and go to many track days, and it's hard to see a car with the exterior finish of the rwb cars and is not janky while being very fast. Many of the racecars I've seen are very limited by class body wise, or most use standard 930/rsr flares and off the shelf bumpers. This isn't true for all track cars since there are some beautiful track machines where every detail was taken care of an no expense was spared.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Also, not well finished, even for a race car (again, no hate here, just trying to point out issues that some people see with the cars):

Maybe he does these things intentionally, as like a rat-rod style.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

That interior would barely be acceptable for a race car, let alone a street car. I am currently building a spec 911 racer and the interior will be painted and it will be spotless with NO CLUTTER. That just looks junky. It makes me wonder if he really knows what he is doing.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Now accepting US $ at par

Garage
Great initial post, this is what the original RWB thread should've been.

Some of the RWB look I really find appealing. I love the big flare look. On the other hand I hate huge wings and I think a fat-fendered car looks great with a simple ducktail (although my favourite race car of all time is the '74 Carrera RSR 2.1 and that had a big-ass wing for sure)

What I really don't get about the Japanese tuner culture is the seemingly random insertion of brand names/trademarks onto car liveries. For example, the green car looks really cool (bar the single exhaust as noted above) but what the heck is that on the side of the wing... an "Ed Hardy" logo?!?!?! Backwards scripts... "MAXI" (whatever that is)... Just weird.

Anyway, thanks for putting all of the RWB content in one place.

Cheers,

d.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The Penthouse car has a much cleaner interior than Nakai's car. It's that way because that's the way he wants it. He typically builds the cars to the customers request. His personal style is a bit messy in the interior for my likes, since I much prefer a very aggressive exterior with a tidy and minimalist interior.

Here are some of the penthouse car

Thanks dienstuhr, it is an odd fascination. It's on almost all of the track oriented RWB cars. They all have random unrelated stickers all over the car. I liked the Stella and Penthouse ones since they added a bit of character, but the hollister seagull or the Ed Hardy, exenadrine are a little out there.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

That method of harness mounting = spinal compression. Messy is one thing, dangerous is another. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the exterior styling, its not that bad. However, when I see things like incorrectly mounted harnesses, it makes me wonder what else hasn't been done correctly under the surface.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart1 View Post
Also, not well finished, even for a race car (again, no hate here, just trying to point out issues that some people see with the cars):

Maybe he does these things intentionally, as like a rat-rod style.
2 things...

1. this is his personal car meaning constant adjustements since since it's the car he tests new stuff on before he sells it.

2. Yes. he is a fan of the rat rod style and that is the reason his car is flat black.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Shoot, he keeps driving a rattle trap like that, he'll be dead soon, and I guess his cars will be worth more.

Sorry, I know I'll be branded a "purist/hater", but I've built an airplane (and was the first one to fly it), and my mindset is that such a cockpit is a liability whether flying on the ground or above it. I apply that philosophy to Ruby, as well. She may not be show worthy, but she's tidy, and as a result, safe.

Nothing wrong with flat black, the matte finishes are starting to be seen on more new cars.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
"the line starts here" was an infomercial. Thanks for nothing.
This thread is not so bad but I still don't see why folks are building shrines to Rauh Welt. I don't call a plumber to get legal advice and I won't call a Toyota tuner to work on my Porsche. My opinion plus a buck gets you a small cup of coffee and McD's
Old 12-14-2010, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I'm all for RWB and ANYONE keeping these cars on the road. How many of the "purists" cry or say anything in the Classified section to someone parting a decent SC or 964 that needs a top end or a rebuilt gearbox?

It takes all kinds in this world and our Porsches are now no different than '30s rods, '50s Mercs and early muscle. There's the mainstream and then the sub groups keeping our cars relative and the after market parts industry alive......be thankful.....
Old 12-14-2010, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Por_sha911 View Post
I don't call a plumber to get legal advice and I won't call a Toyota tuner to work on my Porsche. My opinion plus a buck gets you a small cup of coffee and McD's
you're right everyone should buy from the US... :P maybe put SBC's in those infernal things
Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Ed no one is branding you as anything in this thread and I think the few labeling people don't speak for the majority. It's just about info and your opinion without any sort of name calling. I agree with your ideas on the cabin though, the last thing I'd want is for a crappy connection to put my beloved car in flames. When I do electrical work I only solder and shrink wrap, I don't even like using vampire taps. Like I said, RWB is my favorite tuner and the cars were my inspiration to finally pull the trigger and buy my dream car which is the 911, so that may be part of the reason why I like them so much. However that doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of thing on the cars they have/do that I wouldn't even dream of doing. Such as the harness mounting, I've seen enough instances to keep me from every mounting a harness outside of a 20 degree angle, or the fire hazard interior setup. That being said, the things I like about the cars outweigh those other things for me.

Por_sha, I tried to address that in the beginning. Also considering how the "line starts here" thread had nothing to do with anyone associated with RWB it's not really a valid argument anywhere other than that thread. This is meant to just be a discussion on whether you think they're riced out hype or a not, not a fan boy defense of the infallible Rauh Welt. I actually like seeing some of the other points of view since it just gives me another way to look at it Also Nakai has been building Porsche's for over 20 years. If someone starts with Toyota they can't work on anything else? I'm sure if you were to ask some of the big guys on here if they worked on anything other than Porsche first most of them would say yes . I built bmw's and a Miata as my first cars because I couldn't afford a Porsche. Should I not build my own cars? I might not call a plumber for legal advice but I do know an electrician who I'd trust, maybe that's because he's in law school haha.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Yea the guy with the orange roll bar padding is gonna crush is spline if he crashes. Kevin

Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: