Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Muffler strap missing? jus' wondering'

While I have been contemplating dropping my muffler (in order to remove the compressor bracket so I can replace to the leaky cam tower oil hose), I started to suspect that I am missing the pass. side muffler strap.

The PO replaced the OEM muffler with an M&K 1 in 1 out. I saw a setup that another pelican posted and saw that he had fed the 2nd strap around the air tube.

If I get a replacement strap, is this method OK? What holds the air tube up? The PET katalog didn't seem clear to me - or will all be revealed when I get around to dropping the muffler. I am sure this sounds easy to most, but I need to keep the car going this week and what with holiday preparations and all, I am slow wrench. (And I want to get the Si Br hardware that Wil Ferch has recommended.)

Thanks

'87 Targa Carrera 3.2 - Fabspeed Cat Bypass, M&K Muffler, SW Chip
Venetian Blue
Old 12-19-2010, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The right strap is longer and goes around the air tube and the support, I believe this is the part #930.111.175.00
Old 12-19-2010, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I did not see the support, so this is news - Thanks.

Venetian Blue
Old 12-19-2010, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
cycling has-been

I just did this yesterday on my 85. I had to cut the 2 old straps, loosen all three ends of the hot air supply and crossover, then remove the support bracket to allow me to back out the lower compressor bracket bolt. More work than I expected, but still only about 90 minutes. Bill K
Old 12-20-2010, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Guys are right on that the 2nd left strap goes around the air tube. However it doesn't really need to go around the tube. The tube stays in place just fine without the muffler strap. We've run aftermarket mufflers (and no muffler at all) on the track for years and the tube has stayed in place fine with the hose clamps that secure it to the heat exchanger shrouding (via the silicone couplers) and the upper heater fan tube.

Also, since your M&K is MUCH lighter than the factory banana muffler, one strap is plenty. However a 2nd strap certainly doesn't hurt anything. Are you sure the OE muffler strap will be the right size? Because I know M&K Ben provides a different strap than the factory ones. So his strap choice may likely be a different size since the body of his mufflers is a different shape than the Porsche banana.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Also, since your M&K is MUCH lighter than the factory banana muffler, one strap is plenty.
I recently had my shop install the M&K Pre-Muffler and M&K Sport Muffler. I was also concerned that there was only one strap for the muffler.

I contacted Ben at M&K directly and this was his response to me:

"The second clamp is not required only 1 is there to stop any vibration . We
provide the second one for those that chose alternative clamping locations"

Hopefully that helps.

Paul
Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow - thanks guys.
bkreigsr-I wasn't expecting to drop the crossover, but at least now I'll be prepared if I have to. Tnx
Kevin / Paul - thanks for strap config insight - just found out from the M&K site about the lighter weight. I don't know which strap I have - it doesn't look like the 3.2 OEM advertised by our host, nor does it look like the one in the M&K hardware kit (on their site). The bolt is a SHCS, not a hex-head, and the strap looks a little long, but is tight. This is the left drivers side. apologies for the angle.
mine:

Credit to KCinBR (for the very nice example I liberated)

Venetian Blue
Old 12-20-2010, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Steely Dan, when you loosen the 6 hose clamps on the hot air tubes, that should give you enough wiggle room to pull it back from the bracket bolts without actually removing the tubing. Bill K
Old 12-21-2010, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: