Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
915 cable shifter

I have researched the site and have read plenty regarding the various shifter upgrades. There seems to be 2-3 very good products; ie Wevo, Rennshift, ect. Who has the Patrick Motorsports cable shift system for the 915?
Is this system better/worse? Worth the $300 difference? Im leaning towards the Wevo, but want to cover all my options. Most of the info I can find fits the cable shift systems to 914's.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Go Wevo.....
Old 02-03-2011, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
There's no reason to cable shift the 915 in a 911.. The shifter and rods work just fine. The cable shift setups you see are for converting the 915 trans to fit in another car of your choice- typically a mid engine car (not Porsche 914)

Cable-Shift - Porsche 915

Are you thinking of the 914's side shifter arrangement conversion?

Welcome to Windrush Evolutions - WEVO - Porsche Products

Patrick Motorsports would be the place to look for their own cable shift setup..........
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"
Old 02-03-2011, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I was just wondering if anyone had used any cable shift system. The Patrick setup just came to mind.
I saw one a few years back and was curious.
Looking like the Wevo. Seems to be the favorite by the number of posts speaking highly of it.
So many people cant be wrong.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
The Wevo shifter has been around a bit longer than the Rennshift. But the Rennshift buyers are very pleased with theirs too. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

That said, Wevo's reputation is stellar. Hard to overlook that.

I'll be honest that i've been debating either/or for the racecar, but i'm too cheap to pull the trigger.....
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"
Old 02-03-2011, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I really have no choice. I am in Iraq. My friend takes care of all my toys and drives the p-car to work on Fridays. She has complained about the shifting. I was riding with her last time I was home and she missed a gear downshifting. Not her 1st time doing this. It may be a parts car if I dont get the upgrade soon. I will be home in 6 weeks, so perfect time to make the swap...
Old 02-03-2011, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
A cable shift would have some advantages.

1. Not affected by worn engine mounts.
2. More scope for custom adjustment. Shift planes are were you want them to be.
3. Once adjusted properly it should feel the same for ever shift.
4. Freedom to move the shifter to anywhere in the car.

... In a RHD car you could mount the shifter on the right side of the seat ala 917.
You could also use a Balsa Wood shift nob as a finishing touch.

Hmmm. I feel a new project coming on
Old 02-03-2011, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
RHD, RH shift....very interesting.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCinGa View Post
RHD, RH shift....very interesting.
One of the many benefits of living in Aus.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Go Speedracer, go!

Here's my plug for the Rennshift.

While the Wevo reputation is stellar and I know it is a top notch product, I decided to go with the Rennshift because it is very adjustable. You can adjust the shift reduction percentage, which was key for me. I do not like reducing the shift throw on the 915 too much because i feel it accelerates wear on the syncros by rushing the gear change. Rennshift also offers different lengths of shift lever for optimal placement.

Also, don't forget to address the shift bushings and shift coupler. An aftermarket coupler made AS MUCH of a difference in my car as the aftermarket shifter housing.

I am very happy with my 20% reduction and extended handle setup after about 1.5 years.

Last edited by SpeedracerIndy; 02-04-2011 at 06:01 AM..
Old 02-04-2011, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Anothe vote for Rennshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedracerIndy View Post
Here's my plug for the Rennshift.

While the Wevo reputation is stellar and I know it is a top notch product, I decided to go with the Rennshift because it is very adjustable. You can adjust the shift reduction percentage, which was key for me. I do not like reducing the shift throw on the 915 too much because i feel it accelerates wear on the syncros by rushing the gear change. Rennshift also offers different lengths of shift lever for optimal placement.

Also, don't forget to address the shift bushings and shift coupler. An aftermarket coupler made AS MUCH of a difference in my car as the aftermarket shifter housing.

I am very happy with my 20% reduction and extended handle setup after about 1.5 years.
I agree with everything Indy said; I installed a Rennshifter, new bushing on rod, and a helicopterjoint type rear coupler all at once. Net result: my 915/3.2 Carrera 73 Targa went from the worst shifting car to the best shifting car I have driven.

All of Indy's reasons are the same for me, and I will add one of my own: Rennshift system is a complete new shifter assembly, while the WEVO is set of well made parts that go into your old shifter housing. The total Rennshift solution is also a work of art if you appreciate fine machinery (no one here like that, right? )

69 911 T Targa, 2.4E w/carbs (1985-2001)
70 911 S Coupe, 2nd owner (1989- 2015)
73 911 T Targa, 3.2 Motronic (2001- )
Old 02-04-2011, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverc4s View Post
I agree with everything Indy said; I installed a Rennshifter, new bushing on rod, and a helicopterjoint type rear coupler all at once. Net result: my 915/3.2 Carrera 73 Targa went from the worst shifting car to the best shifting car I have driven.

All of Indy's reasons are the same for me, and I will add one of my own: Rennshift system is a complete new shifter assembly, while the WEVO is set of well made parts that go into your old shifter housing. The total Rennshift solution is also a work of art if you appreciate fine machinery (no one here like that, right? )
Could not have said it better. +1 !
Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: