Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Small G50 transmission leak

I have a small leak at the right side lower stud of the front (trans) cover.
Am waiting for some mounting hardware and started cleaning it off - area was kind of wet /dirty - and now it looks better and it revealed the suspected source. I think it's been there since I've owned her (~3 yrs).

I just can figure out why the stud, if that is correct. It does not appear to be coming from the shift selector seal or the gasket, but I could be wrong.

The nut seems tight by hand - does anyone think I can just leave it as is?

Thanks much,
Dan

I drew a line on the gasket fyi (which is below the leak). Pic is under-looking up of course, fwd is top of pic, mount is removed.

'87 Targa Carrera 3.2 - Fabspeed Cat Bypass, M&K Muffler, SW Chip
Venetian Blue
Old 02-26-2011, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Dan, just a quick question, I seem to have a very slight leak on my g50 but cannot even find it yet. I can smell the tranny fluid. Does your car reek? Mine is in a closed garage so the smell builds up. Depending on how bad my leak is, I will probably live with it as long as my wife doesn't get too aggravated over the smell in the garage and check the fluid level every few months. Steve
Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi Steve, I don't think it reeks of tranny fluid, but then any smell (also in a closed garage) I have may be overpowered by the normal porsche oil smell or small amounts of cleaner aerosols I might use (lately during projects).

Do you think it could be the normal p-car aroma you might be detecting? Sorry I can't help more (you might wanna search here for 'smell' - there are a couple of threads on that subj alone).

hope this helps

Venetian Blue

Last edited by steely; 02-27-2011 at 08:00 AM..
Old 02-27-2011, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

humble bump

Venetian Blue
Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Last bump - can oil leak around the stud like this? Problem or feature?
Thanks

Venetian Blue
Old 03-01-2011, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Have you checked the actual torque on this?

DS
25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 03-01-2011, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Tnx Doyle - Tried but can't. Location makes it difficult and I have no crowsfoot. Extension puts it at a bad angle.
Best I could do was a box wrench and I use my calibrated arm to measure 17 ft-lb. (+/-)

If it was loose (or too tight), would it leak from around the stud?

Venetian Blue

Last edited by steely; 03-01-2011 at 04:22 PM..
Old 03-01-2011, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Dan, use the calibrated arm to measure ft lbs. on the other nut opposite and see how if they are torqued equally. Unfortunately, we with few too tools, need to ab lib sometimes. Works for me, I am sure the Gradys and the other maestros are cringing at this suggestion. Steve
Old 03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Have the same leak on my '88...looks like the same spot anyway. I suspect mine comes from the parting line but next time its on the lift I will look closely. Its not enough to leave a drip but it does weep ever so slightly. No biggy since its been like that for at least 5 years now.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks guys - I understand the cringing part.
I did the following before I saw your test method Steve.

Dailydriven - mine is/was(?) hiding behind the trans mount. Maybe you will have luck on the lift.

I did take a leap and tried to fix after speaking with a couple of guys in work who have different types of toys at home - or had mech backgrounds.

Let see if this works...
Re-cleaned area - still just around the stud/nut was wet - after 2 days enough to form a drop hanging from lower point on trans. Chose not to use harsh cleaner so I wouldn't contaminate for later steps.
Removed nut & wshr(praying the stud wouldn't snap or come out / oil wouldn't pour out). Broke torque easily I guess - it's different when you're laying down.
Saw oil weeping from stub clearly from cover flange hole.
Wiped dry, no cleaner, applied Black RTV (oil resistant) to cover face at stud - all I had but red or orange was recommended.
Applied a little on threads. cleaned nut & wshr.
Torqued to 17 ftlbs (new crow foot)- will check tomorrow - resisted urge to replace mount and new poly graphite bushings.
Will help the next guy by reporting back if this doesn't work out.
Hope it stands up to heat - it should at least provide a mechanical barrier.

cheers - now back to my front end project - taking longer than I wanted but having fun.

Venetian Blue

Last edited by steely; 03-02-2011 at 06:06 PM..
Old 03-02-2011, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Yes mine is right at the trans mount as well, but its towards the rear of the mount (engine side of mount). I had to look closely at your pic and I think your mount is removed to better show the leak.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Hi fellas, l too have a small leak in the same area on my 89 G50 l wonder if this is a common problem, keen to see if this works for you Dan.Cheers Gerry
Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

It's been one day and no leak! Here's a pic of from yesterday.

Venetian Blue
Old 03-03-2011, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Now hopefully you take it for a good run , get a bit of heat into it and it doesn't leak
Old 03-05-2011, 02:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I've got a tranny fluid leak and I think maybe its from this stud as well. I also think I nicked the shifter shaft badly when I locked it in place to seprate the shift couple on a couple of projects so may try to use some emory cloth to clean that up and put a new seal in. I'm wondering if this solution has held up over time.
Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten
Old 08-17-2018, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Difficult shot, I used iphone under car (not on a lift),and the trans mount is in the way, but after 7 years(?) it looks pretty good.
There is some dampness that I can't determine the source, but it isn't dripping like it was.
I think that is the nut behind the gnd strap.
She'll be needing other work soon, so I will eval then.
HTH

Venetian Blue

Last edited by steely; 08-17-2018 at 01:45 PM..
Old 08-17-2018, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks, I've got some of that sealant in the garage so will give it a shot.
Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten
Old 08-18-2018, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: