Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

911SC: What's worse? Sitting long periods or driving short distance before warm up

Guys,

Recent family changes has me using my 82' 911SC as a daily driver now. The car only had 60K when I bought her last year and has had the works done(tensioner, studs,etc.) and was well cared for.
There was sometimes weeks in between driving her mostly because of my job but when I did it was for long drives,tours,autocross and track events and always had a proper warm up. No problems with her so far what so ever.
My question is this : What happens when you periodically have to shut the engine off before the engine has reached a proper warmup temp and sometime does not come off cold idle ,such as short trips. Am I doing any harm here? Was there more "wear and tear" when she was sitting stone cold for long periods?
Thanks for any comments!

Last edited by scotyp; 04-11-2011 at 09:36 AM..
Old 04-11-2011, 09:22 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Go Speedracer, go!

You'll accumulate moisture in the oil. Check the underside of your oil cap. If you see a milky foam or sludge like material then you're not getting your oil hot enough.

Why not just find an extended rout to drive home once or twice a week and get it up to operating temp? I wouldn't think it would take much more than that to burn off all the moisture in the oil.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes, of course there is more wear & tear when you drive it for short periods withoug it warming up properly. But lots of people think you can warm the engine up by letting it idle for awhile before you drive it. That does help get the oil flowing throughout the engine, but air cooled engines don't warm up much without having a load on them. So if you want to warm it up, drive it and don't rev it up excessively (maybe 4k rpm's max) until it reaches operating temperature. Setting for a number of weeks isn't a long time for one to set if it's then driven a bit.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:31 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Old 04-11-2011, 09:31 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: